GT: Sox @ da Champs, 06/12, 7:15, the U

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Dunn, Rios and Danks I expect to be worth it. I expect to dump Gavin and Peavy to walk or sign something team-friendly. Our rotation could actually get pretty cheap with the deception of Danksy.

Who do you replace them with? Or are you just going to throw bodies in there and see who sticks?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Who do you replace them with? Or are you just going to throw bodies in there and see who sticks?

Yeah, pretty much.

Sale/Danks/medium priced vet/prospect/prospect

We beat the World Series champs on the road with a Colombian 95% of SoxTalk didn't know about 4 months ago and yet we've spent most of the game thread trading Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo.

If JR hadn't been burned by 2009-2011, there might be some willingness to spend on a Wright or Greinke. For now, they're too hot to the touch.

Besides, the Mets aren't doing to lose both Wright and Reyes, their attendance is already falling big-time. They have to keep a homegrown star in the fold.

As for Greinke, the price is Viciedo and Reed, bargained down to Viciedo and Jones or Mitchell. Nothing less.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
We beat the World Series champs on the road with a Colombian 95% of SoxTalk didn't know about 4 months ago and yet we've spent most of the game thread trading Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo.

If JR hadn't been burned by 2009-2011, there might be some willingness to spend on a Wright or Greinke. For now, they're too hot to the touch.

Besides, the Mets aren't doing to lose both Wright and Reyes, their attendance is already falling big-time. They have to keep a homegrown star in the fold.

As for Greinke, the price is Viciedo and Reed, bargained down to Viciedo and Jones or Mitchell. Nothing less.

Yeah, Kenny won't make that deal.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
How so?

What do you think we're getting by with right now?

3 guys who are pitching well right now and 2 guys who arent. Basically if your scenario happened you would have 2 reliable guys(if Danks pitches like he can). The prospects are a toss up(I hope you arent thinking about having Molina come up).

Im interested in the vet you had in mind.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
I think if they got Grienke tomorrow they'd be among the favorites for the AL Championship.

Now do that without trading Viciedo, Jones and Mitchell.

Our left fielder would be Dan Johnson, Jordan Danks, Lillibridge or Fukudome.

We'd have nothing left to deal to fix LF's lack of production.

Trading Jones would blow another hole in the bullpen, and remove a future closer from the equation.

If you wanted to go crazy, you could stick Dunn in LF with Flowers at DH, but you know how bad that would make our outfield defense? Do you really want to go there...with Hudson at 3B and Dunn in LF? Look at the results of that kind of approach in Detroit this season!!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
3 guys who are pitching well right now and 2 guys who arent. Basically if your scenario happened you would have 2 reliable guys(if Danks pitches like he can). The prospects are a toss up(I hope you arent thinking about having Molina come up).

Im interested in the vet you had in mind.

This year we've had two starters worth a crap and Quintana for a few good abbreviated starts.

I would expect we could piece together 3 guys that could give us what Floyd/Humber/Danks has produced for us thus far.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
This year we've had two starters worth a crap and Quintana for a few good abbreviated starts.

I would expect we could piece together 3 guys that could give us what Floyd/Humber/Danks has produced for us thus far.

You would think that. Or it could be quite the opposite. What prospects did you want up? Castro or Molina?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)

Right now, the next starter in would clearly be Axelrod.

Option 1A would have to be either Stewart or Santiago, but then you're going to get the game to the pen in the 4th or 5th.

Option 2 would be Simon Castro, but can you really go to a AA pitcher in the heat of a pennant race? Didn't we already learn that lesson with Jackson for Hudson/Holmberg ONCE already?

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
You would think that. Or it could be quite the opposite. What prospects did you want up? Castro or Molina?

Molina's not close to ready.

Castro has better stuff, overall, but he's been maddeningly inconsistent.

If we're looking for yet another Quintana, it's Pedro Hernandez, but he's currently on the DL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)

Option 1A would have to be either Stewart or Santiago, but then you're going to get the game to the pen in the 4th or 5th.

Option 2 would be Simon Castro, but can you really go to a AA pitcher in the heat of a pennant race? Didn't we already learn that lesson with Jackson for Hudson/Holmberg ONCE already?

Woops forgot about Axelrod. Im pretty excited about Simon Castro. But he needs more time in the minors. Molina is getting hammered in AA.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)

Why would this decision have to be made now?

Basically you'd be banking on someone showing you enough throughout the remainder of the year and then in the spring to make that decision then.

It could be someone we get from trading Floyd or another player. It could be someone we sign in the offseason for $4 million a year.

You've got Danks/Sale and you sign another guy, throw in the Feathered Serpent, and then hope a guy like Castro makes strides. Otherwise, maybe you have Humber back on track.

I know the knee-jerk reaction is to panic, but we do have some people that can step in, just like Humber did last year, Quintana has this year, etc.

And by the way, enough with the 6th grade insults with every post.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
Why would this decision have to be made now?

Basically you'd be banking on someone showing you enough throughout the remainder of the year and then in the spring to make that decision then.

It could be someone we get from trading Floyd or another player. It could be someone we sign in the offseason for $4 million a year.

You've got Danks/Sale and you sign another guy, throw in the Feathered Serpent, and then hope a guy like Castro makes strides. Otherwise, maybe you have Humber back on track.

I know the knee-jerk reaction is to panic, but we do have some people that can step in, just like Humber did last year, Quintana has this year, etc.

Ofcourse you dont have to make it now. You just seemed like you had a few guys in mind. In the end I dont think thats whats going to happen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)

Teams do this all the time, guys...the world doesn't end if a guy comes in and gives up 4 runs. He's still a professional pitcher...he's not going to give up like 100 runs in one inning. And if he does, well, it still costs the same as Gavin Floyd and Phil Humber's losses do everytime they pitch.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
Ofcourse you dont have to make it now. You just seemed like you had a few guys in mind. In the end I dont think thats whats going to happen.

No, I'm sure you are right.

This was just in the scenario where you have a chance to get a superstar player and you need to go cheap with your rotation for a year or so.