Work/College/Finance

Y2HH

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Yeah I wondered that as well, but perhaps it's going from a one bedroom to a two type valuation. I think out of that 235k, only 70k was for housing. That's only an extra $4,117 per year.

My wife is due tomorrow, so our first will be here any day now. The costs are freakin' me out.

Awesome man. Congrats & good luck.

Don't worry about the costs, your kid will pay you back eventually when he helps with your retirement home bill. :D

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
Awesome man. Congrats & good luck.

Don't worry about the costs, your kid will pay you back eventually when he helps with your retirement home bill. :D

Thanks. I keep telling my wife we need to groom him to be a professional golfer. That way he can pay for my retirement AND I'll have access to sweet equipment and courses.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Then if its such a smart decision, those who went to College shouldnt complain.

I obviously made a conscious effort to get a College degree, so it stands to reason I believed that it was worth it. But if any of my friends started b****ing about going to College, Id really have little pity for them.

And those that didn't should also not complain. They each made their choice.

But that isn't how life works, we all complain.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:06 PM)
Jesus...was he independently wealthy?

No, he worked for Bell Labs as an engineer while attending to law school. It took him five years to finish law school. Very tiring work he said.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Thanks. I keep telling my wife we need to groom him to be a professional golfer. That way he can pay for my retirement AND I'll have access to sweet equipment and courses.

NFL long snapper.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
NFL long snapper.

That has to be the best job in sports.

But a really terrifying job if you screw up a key snap (like that dude on the Giants a few years ago in the playoffs. Against the Pats, I think).

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)

But a really terrifying job if you screw up a key snap (like that dude on the Giants a few years ago in the playoffs. Against the Pats, I think).

Yes, but easier to perform than the actual field goals.

When the Giants play the Pats in the playoffs, the game is also known as the Super Bowl.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
NFL long snapper.

In the Tribune a few months ago, there was some kid from the west suburbs, who just started long snapping in 6th-7th grade because no one else was any good at it. Kept doing it in high school, & got a full scholarship from Notre Dame. Just to be a long snapper.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:25 AM)
In the Tribune a few months ago, there was some kid from the west suburbs, who just started long snapping in 6th-7th grade because no one else was any good at it. Kept doing it in high school, & got a full scholarship from Notre Dame. Just to be a long snapper.

Yep, think about Patrick Mannelly (sp?)...dude had like a 20 year career as a long snapper.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:16 AM)
When the Giants play the Pats in the playoffs, the game is also known as the Super Bowl.

Wow, totally missed that one. On second thought, I think it was the Giants vs. 49ers.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
Don't you have to have a PE to work in consulting? That was the impression I was under.

Obviously, there are different types of consulting, but if you're an Engineer, you could certainly go into technology consulting with really any undergraduate engineering degree. I'm in software consulting and have a business degree (focus on Supply Chain Mgmt), but I work with a lot of IE's, a few ME's, and I even have a co-worker who studied civil engineering at Purdue. All of the guys I started with are no more than 2 years out of school and are not considered PE's.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
Don't you have to have a PE to work in consulting? That was the impression I was under.

To actually call yourself an "engineer" and sell engineering services, you do. You might be able to work as an independent contractor for a design/consulting firm without the PE stamp, or you could call yourself a designer or do some drafting work.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Obviously, there are different types of consulting, but if you're an Engineer, you could certainly go into technology consulting with really any undergraduate engineering degree. I'm in software consulting and have a business degree (focus on Supply Chain Mgmt), but I work with a lot of IE's, a few ME's, and I even have a co-worker who studied civil engineering at Purdue. All of the guys I started with are no more than 2 years out of school and are not considered PE's.

yea dude, just apply for entry level jobs at IBM, Accenture, CSC, whatever. At worst, you can most likely get a paid internship. after you impress then you get the full time job.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)

Backup QB isnt bad, everyone loves you and when you suck they pretty much realize it was expected since you were the backup.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)

By the way, I finally got to look into this today. There are 2 things out of this that have actually gone up relative to inflation by a lot. Food and clothing costs have gone down a lot. The things that have gone up...health care costs, which have skyrocketed relative to inflation since the 1960's, and Education/child care costs. Education costs have gone up since more people go to college and states stop paying for it, child care costs have gone up on average because more kids wind up in child care as compared to 1960, there are quite a few more households with 2 working parents.