Aj voted most hated player in MLB

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
I'm not too certain about that. He is about the lowest rated manager by most posters here, yet the Marlins and their fans were practically dancing in the streets to get him. They valued him much higher than Sox fans. So it seems like we underrated him compared to Marlin ownership and fans. At least when he was announced as their manager. In reality they probably overrated him and we underrated him. Time will tell who was closer to reality.

The Marlins don't have fans.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:31 AM)
If i had a gun with 2 bullets in a room with hitler, osama, and ozzie, i would shoot ozzie twice.

Hope you are joking, really do.

Ozzie Guillen is a chicago hero whether you believe it or not. He'll FOREVER be remembered as the one manager to bring our great city A CHAMPIONSHIP in baseball!!! I didn't think your joke was funny, either. Hitler and Osama are scum to me. Ozzie should not be scum to anyone.

I'm not too certain about that. He is about the lowest rated manager by most posters here, yet the Marlins and their fans were practically dancing in the streets to get him. They valued him much higher than Sox fans. So it seems like we underrated him compared to Marlin ownership and fans. At least when he was announced as their manager. In reality they probably overrated him and we underrated him. Time will tell who was closer to reality.

They didn't hire him for his managerial skills. They hired him for publicity to help fill seats in their new stadium because Florida has the worst fanbase in pro sports.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
They didn't hire him for his managerial skills. They hired him for publicity to help fill seats in their new stadium because Florida has the worst fanbase in pro sports.

He was probably overrated in the sense that he was a protege of the former manager who won the World Series in 2003, Jack McKeon.

Perhaps there was also the attendant idea that his style of play was more suitable for the NL.

Most importantly, big name, the ability to appeal to Hispanic fans in South Florida...but last time I checked, their numbers were ONLY about an average of 27,000 per game.

So in their first year, the bloom has already worn off because of hte fact that they've been a disappointment for most of the first two months, except for the one run similar to the one the White Sox had that put them at 8 games over before falling back to .500 again.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 04:38 AM)

Name one manager who could have orchestrated the type of run we had in the 2005 postseason?

Those who fail to credit Ozzie for having the right clubhouse attitude as we mauled everybody are ingrates IMO.

The use of his starting pitching and refusal to over-manage, every move of his worked.

He was important to our '05 run and yet many people seem to actually hate him.

THIS AMAZES ME. Truly insane IMO.

So it ended poorly. It's not like he was the only reason for our demise.

Dunn, Rios, KW's idiotic moves like Manny and some ridiculous trades ... need I go on??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:28 AM)
Name one manager who could have orchestrated the type of run we had in the 2005 postseason?

Those who fail to credit Ozzie for having the right clubhouse attitude as we mauled everybody are ingrates IMO.

The use of his starting pitching and refusal to over-manage, every move of his worked.

Dunn, Rios, KW's idiotic moves like Manny and some ridiculous trades ... need I go on??

Really Ozzie is the only manager that would have won a world series with that team? I'd say over half the current managers in MLB today could of managed that team to the WS, the only magic move Ozzie did was putting El Duque in against Red Sox with bases loaded but that had lots of luck involved.

Except for the fact these same poll results happened when he was in Chicago as well. Remember the manager you'd least want to play for poll? Ozzie was at the top of that one too.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 02:44 AM)
Really Ozzie is the only manager that would have won a world series with that team? I'd say over half the current managers in MLB today could of managed that team to the WS, the only magic move Ozzie did was putting El Duque in against Red Sox with bases loaded but that had lots of luck involved.

And more likely that was Don Cooper versus Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)
And more likely that was Don Cooper versus Ozzie Guillen.

Honestly i dont care who made the decision. El Duque worked the magic, not Ozzie or Coop. It was a extremely tough situation, the Sox had a sick bullpen and the guy that came out got the job done.

2005 has nothing to do with my post at all. The Marlins hired Ozzie strictly to appeal to their largely Hispanic fan base, in a state with an awful history of pro sports attendance. It was not a baseball decision, it was a money decision.

George Bush Approval Ratings

George W. Bush's High Point: 90%, 2001

George W. Bush's Low Point: 25%, 2008

THINGS CHANGE IN A SPAN OF SEVEN YEARS GREG.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)

Meanwhile, Quinarvy's approval rating remains high.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)

But George Bush never won the World Series in Chicago.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)

I'd like to note for the record that I had nothing to do with this post. :lolhitting

This also explains the low attendance at US Cellular. For the average baseball fan, it takes a couple years to get with the program. They still think AJ deserves the hate, and they still think the Sox suck. I was actually at a party last night, and a group of people started talking about the Chicago baseball teams and how bad they are. Not one person knew the Sox were in first place.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
This also explains the low attendance at US Cellular. For the average baseball fan, it takes a couple years to get with the program. They still think AJ deserves the hate, and they still think the Sox suck. I was actually at a party last night, and a group of people started talking about the Chicago baseball teams and how bad they are. Not one person knew the Sox were in first place.

did you go to a party in Lawrence, Kansas

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 02:20 AM)

Yep, they're still stuck in the Dunn/Peavy/Rios/Beckham suck and must be booed "loop" and already tuned out in early 2011 after our 4-18 stretch pretty much knocked us out of contention right away in April/May.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)

Another reason Ozzie's mouth wasn't bad to the average fan.

He kept the Sox in the news, kept people buzzing about Ozzie.

Sox are irrelevant again w/out Ozzie for now. We may all be diehards on here, and follow the Sox no matter what, but Ozzie was good keeping the Sox in the news for the average fan. He was free publicity for the White Sox/ticket sales.

If you think his brashness affected the players negatively, I think you should reconsider your position.

Who gives a f*** about his kids? These are grown men playing baseball.

Ozzie was a GREAT sideshow as well as a WS winning manager.

Edited by greg775