Bobby Jenks and Bsox about to part ways

chisoxfan09

Of course, we think of him blowing away Bagwell in 2005 in the World Series.

Of the consecutive batters retired streak, too.

Then there are the key blown saves against the Twins in 2008 and 2010...I still have nightmares about the Carlos Gomez game and the one after the All-Star Break. Those losses were excruciating.

Greg's argument is that Jenks had close to an 85% conversion rate (his final 2 seasons), just like Sergio last year. But he wasn't the same pitcher who was feared. He got the job done more often than not, but his devastating arsenal and stuff just wasn't there...especially the velocity on the FB.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 01:36 AM)
The first thing I think of Bobby is 2005.

The second thing I think of Bobby was when he retired 41 straight (is that still a record?) (What year was it ? 08?)

The third thing I think of Bobby was that damn game in Minnesota.

Buehrle broke that record during the stretch that included his perfect game and next game.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 12:46 AM)
"He's a great closer. He was the closer in 2005 when the Sox won. Who was the last closer for the White Sox or Cubs to win a World Series with that team? Doing that in Chicago is so difficult." -- greg.

You speak the truth. You deny any of that?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Of course, we think of him blowing away Bagwell in 2005 in the World Series.

Of the consecutive batters retired streak, too.

Then there are the key blown saves against the Twins in 2008 and 2010...I still have nightmares about the Carlos Gomez game and the one after the All-Star Break. Those losses were excruciating.

Greg's argument is that Jenks had close to an 85% conversion rate (his final 2 seasons), just like Sergio last year. But he wasn't the same pitcher who was feared. He got the job done more often than not, but his devastating arsenal and stuff just wasn't there...especially the velocity on the FB.

So what if he wasn't devastating anymore? He had a good long run and pretty much all closers we've had since have had their struggles after a stretch of saves. Reed has been very good and it's hopeful he's at the start of his four or five year tenure of effectiveness, cause that's all closers last.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 01:33 AM)
That was the day that Ozzie's tenure was over, Bobby's tenure was over, Dunn's started.

That was one of the worst losses I've ever seen. And I wasn't there.

It was actually the beginning of the end of my relationship with my girlfriend too. They lost and I threw a plastic cup that I was going to bring back for my dad on the ground and I had a mini-meltdown. She had no idea how I could take it that seriously. "It's just a game, seriously."

It was so much more to me though. She was right though. I'm actually a better fan because of that game. I don't freak out about tough losses like that, and I don't get overly excited about wins. I'd go crazy if they won the World Series, and I probably would do that any time they won it, but I'd stay pretty calm if they lost in that scenario. It's just a game, they'll all be back next year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 12:43 AM)
What do you want the manager to do?

He was putting the team's CLOSER out there.

Just like Ozzie is putting Heath Bell out there. You have to play the guys on the roster.

Bobby had a nice career.

At that point in time, Jenks had been awful all year and didn't have a 3 year, $27 million contract. He would have been pitching mopup for the past month until he got his s*** straightened out, and then when he never did, he would have been traded or released. JJ Putz would have been my closer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 01:30 AM)
At that point in time, Jenks had been awful all year and didn't have a 3 year, $27 million contract. He would have been pitching mopup for the past month until he got his s*** straightened out, and then when he never did, he would have been traded or released. JJ Putz would have been my closer.

It also seems like there was some personal stuff going on with Bobby that Ozzie didn't want to deal with. Maybe involving some of Ozzie's kids. Either way....Bobby didn't get penalized for his lack of whatever it was that he was lacking, when a lot of other guys would get penalized for less.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
You speak the truth. You deny any of that?

So what if he wasn't devastating anymore? He had a good long run and pretty much all closers we've had since have had their struggles after a stretch of saves. Reed has been very good and it's hopeful he's at the start of his four or five year tenure of effectiveness, cause that's all closers last.

No, but if you're going to keep going back to 2005 for everything, that's insane. That's like saying Ozuna is a great utility player, Cliff Politte is good because he drove in a run that year, and Dustin Hermanson should get a job right now. Jenks was great for 1 year, good for two, and horrible for the rest.

As relief pitchers go, Bobby had a nice career. 5 pretty solid years. A few dominating stretches. 2 all star appearances. Closer on a world series winning team.

No reason for Sox fans to crap on him. It was simply his time to go.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
As relief pitchers go, Bobby had a nice career. 5 pretty solid years. A few dominating stretches. 2 all star appearances. Closer on a world series winning team.

Amen, brotha!

I wish more people who agree with me would post more often. I am NOT ALONE!

Nice post.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)

Will always have fond memories of Big Bad Sweaty Bobby. He would have lost 5 pounds on the mound today in one inning.

Bobby kinda reminded me of Ed Farmer. Had a short stint of brilliance with the heater and curve. It was also odd for a team to go through two other closers and make it to the post season and win the series. I can't even remember who the opening day closer was (Shingo?) and failure #2.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
Bobby kinda reminded me of Ed Farmer. Had a short stint of brilliance with the heater and curve. It was also odd for a team to go through two other closers and make it to the post season and win the series. I can't even remember who the opening day closer was (Shingo?) and failure #2.

Hermanson!

Remember that part of the reason closers and relievers in general may not last as long is due to the fact that, well, usually the best pitchers are starting pitchers. By and large most guys end up in the pen because they didn't cut it as a starter. The reasons they may not make it as a closer may be very much related to the ineptitude that kept them from being a starter.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Yes

He was our f***ing Kenny Powers :headbang

That comparison has actually crossed my mind as well.

Should he remain in baseball, my shot in the dark gut feeling has Miami presenting a low risk/league minimum offer just because.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
That comparison has actually crossed my mind as well.

Should he remain in baseball, my shot in the dark gut feeling has Miami presenting a low risk/league minimum offer just because.

I think Jenks' problem in the first place was being around Ozzie. His kids insult and publicize quite a few things that Jenks told Ozzie in confidence, so that will mess with his psyche. On top of that, Jenks is a recovering/relapsed alcoholic and Ozzie has been pretty adamant this year about how he drinks, win or lose.

If that was his only offer in the entire major leagues to pitch, and I were his agent, I would suggest he go play in Japan or an independent league.