Dodgers vs White Sox 9:10 CST

Kyyle23

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
I must catch him on his bad nights. Seriously, when I watch him pitch he sucks big time. He earns a fat paycheck, too, doesn't he?

He's very well paid for a set-up guy, but he's pitched better than Linebrink and Dotel did with similar salaries.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:24 AM)
I laugh at some of the people on here who just want to ride it out with Humber and Floyd. See what happens. We wont be in 1st very long with the way those guys are pitching. Those two are almost automatic losses at this point.

Thing is, Sox just don't have the resources for a massive overhaul right now. If Floyd, Humber and Danks continue to have just ridiculously bad seasons, then you don't deserve to make the postseason. With Sale having an innings limit, I'd much rather KW wait until the deadline before making any decision. One big slump and this team could be in 4th place, and then you're looking at a whole different scenario at the deadline.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Thing is, Sox just don't have the resources for a massive overhaul right now. If Floyd, Humber and Danks continue to have just ridiculously bad seasons, then you don't deserve to make the postseason. With Sale having an innings limit, I'd much rather KW wait until the deadline before making any decision. One big slump and this team could be in 4th place, and then you're looking at a whole different scenario at the deadline.

THIS!

Enjoy first place and see what happens closer to deadline.

PS. Feels like momentum has shifted in this game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)

I think Kenny is going to make a move soon. I dont believe its going to be a massive overhaul. But this team does need a pitcher and I dont believe he wants to sell. We would prob have to be way far back for him to concede defeat.

Edited by Baron

Now Konerko not being able to score from 1st on Rios' double and DeAza leaving the runner at 3B with one out....some more big plays in this game.

Sale's walking Hairston 3 times, Hudson's inability to react quickly enough at 3B.

Flaws all over the field for this team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Now Konerko not being able to score from 1st on Rios' double and DeAza leaving the runner at 3B with one out....some more big plays in this game.

Sale's walking Hairston 3 times, Hudson's inability to react quickly enough at 3B.

Those walks to Hairston were very annoying. He's not that good of a hitter.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:28 AM)
THIS!

Enjoy first place and see what happens closer to deadline.

And the question is, who on the Sox (of their prospects) even has trade value? Sox best bet to get a big time player via trade is if they pick up the remaining salary.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Has the NL passed the AL as the better league?

Sox having troubles with everybody not named the Cubs.

No, no and no.

The White Sox have the second best record in MLB in interleague play behind the Yankees

159-115.

If we had a real 3B, we wouldn't even be having this conversation because the 6th inning would have been over with us still holding the lead.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
And the question is, who on the Sox (of their prospects) even has trade value? Sox best bet to get a big time player via trade is if they pick up the remaining salary.

They have money to spend(offered Soler 25 million). JR would be willing to spend if it was for a player that will help this team.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:29 AM)

No chance Konerko could score on Rios' double. Not so sure even ADA scores on that, as it was a rocket and went right to their CF. Plain and simple, if Hudson doesn't play Uribe's grounder like Roger Dorn, the Sox likely cruise to victory.

I remain staunchly opposed to buying at the deadline. Unless you can get a nice piece for next to nothing, I just wouldn't do it. We came into this season with a plan to build a consistent winner. Trading one of our very nice young players/prospects (I think we have several, but not enough to start trading them away) just really shortens our window for competing. Don't throw out the plans for this season based on a good couple months of baseball.

If this team is meant to compete, an extremely reliable pitcher like Floyd will turn it around. Danks will get healthy. Humber will either find it or his well-performing replacement will step in. I'm honestly not all that worried about it, as annoying as it is to watch.

We could probably get a competent veteran 3B for cheap but I still wouldn't trade a Jared Mitchell/Jose Quintana player for one (sans David Wright who I don't believe is getting moved). O-Dog has his bad plays over there but he has some that the "average" 3B doesn't make. I expect the D to get better and I think his batting average will improve when he isn't walking at such a high rate/just gets more at bats

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)

Mitchell, Danks, Petricka, Castro and Molina all gotta have some kind of value I'd imagine.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
I remain staunchly opposed to buying at the deadline. Unless you can get a nice piece for next to nothing, I just wouldn't do it. We came into this season with a plan to build a consistent winner. Trading one of our very nice young players/prospects (I think we have several, but not enough to start trading them away) just really shortens our window for competing. Don't throw out the plans for this season based on a good couple months of baseball.

If this team is meant to compete, an extremely reliable pitcher like Floyd will turn it around. Danks will get healthy. Humber will either find it or his well-performing replacement will step in. I'm honestly not all that worried about it, as annoying as it is to watch.

We could probably get a competent veteran 3B for cheap but I still wouldn't trade a Jared Mitchell/Jose Quintana player for one (sans David Wright who I don't believe is getting moved). O-Dog has his bad plays over there but he has some that the "average" 3B doesn't make. I expect the D to get better and I think his batting average will improve when he isn't walking at such a high rate/just gets more at bats

Yes we know

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)

Nobody. Mitchell's been slumping recently, he's one more bad game away from the .260's.

Everyone's going to target Viciedo, Reed and Nathan Jones.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:31 AM)
They have money to spend(offered Soler 25 million). JR would be willing to spend if it was for a player that will help this team.

Paying 25 million over 9 years is a heck of a lot different than having to cover the remaining 8 million or so on a deal this year.

I disagree with the take on the play at 3B. I don't think that's a play anybody squares up, it makes the throw impossible unless you can throw flat footed like Juan Uribe. He just needs to be able to make the backhand play -- he didn't read the ball well for whatever reason, possibly incompetence. Not the type of play 2B's make because they get to square it up and have a short throw to make with flat feet

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)
Paying 25 million over 9 years is a heck of a lot different than having to cover the remaining 8 million or so on a deal this year.

Ofcourse but JR has always been willing to open up the book for a team looking to contend and add.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Mitchell, Danks, Petricka, Castro and Molina all gotta have some kind of value I'd imagine.

All of them together wouldn't get you Greinke.

Not that it would be smart to go for broke anyway, because we wouldn't end up resigning Greinke anyway against an open market.

Petricka's injured, and mentioning Danks or Lillibridge right now would get KW laughed at.

100 MPH fastball by Nathan Jones there.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:32 AM)

Compared to what probably every other contending team has to offer, you're not going to win any bidding wars with the guys you mentioned.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
All of them together wouldn't get you Greinke.

Not that it would be smart to go for broke anyway, because we wouldn't end up resigning Greinke anyway against an open market.

Petricka's injured, and mentioning Danks or Lillibridge right now would get KW laughed at.

100 MPH fastball by Nathan Jones there.

No way we get Greinke

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Compared to what probably every other contending team has to offer, you're not going to win any bidding wars with the guys you mentioned.

But they could get you something. If they're serious about contending they need, at least, a 3rd baseman. They're fielding 8 guys out there daily. Put a guy on the hot corner that can OPS .750 and catch the damn ball, and this club can do something.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
But they could get you something. If they're serious about contending they need, at least, a 3rd baseman. They're fielding 8 guys out there daily. Put a guy on the hot corner that can OPS .750 and catch the damn ball, and this club can do something.

This team needs pitching right now more than a 3rd baseman.

If you trade for a starting pitcher because you've given up on Floyd and Humber, then you better make sure that player has at least another year left on their deal. If not, you're looking at Sale, Danks, Quintana and nothing in the rotation next year.