Can we please find a big league 3B?!

macsandz

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
If he were there is no guarantee he would be an average player for the white sox. Hudson has been an above average hitter his career and look at him.

Look at his age, the decline that usually happens for speedy players in their mid 30's, his declining offense numbers over the last 5 seasons, his conversion back to the AL from the NL, position change (when the last time he'd played 3B was in the minor leagues over a decade ago), all of this was pretty clear in the beginning that it was a desperation/band-aid move that probably wouldn't work.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
How's Cuddyer at 3B? Bad too?

Bad, but not as bad as Hudson.

But then you're taking on something like $25 million in salary through 2014, for a player who could easily be declining in his early to mid 30's.

We wouldn't have to give up much in talent, so that's one big reason it's worth a thought at least.

Then, to do that, you have to be pretty sure there's no way Morel can ever come back. Cuddyer can play 1B, LF and RF as well, but it's not like he would be solving a problem at any of those other positions, as well as DH.

I just really wish Dallas McPherson regained his former talent and could stay healthy enough to stay on the field. We would be sitting so pretty (aside from our pitching) if KW were to pull off a reclamation project like McPherson. I know hes a lost cause just a wish of mine.

lets be honest guys. McPherson and Johnson are failed major leaguers. They are the last last last last option. Orlando Hudson has been over the mendoza line about once since he was on the Sox, and neither of those guys is coming up to replace him

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
So far, it's between Cuddyer, Youkilis and forcing Stephen Drew (if he's healthy) to play out of position.

Yes, in your mind. Because none of this save Youkilis has been rumored at all except by posters on this site

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
Yes, in your mind. Because none of this save Youkilis has been rumored at all except by posters on this site

Do we really have to differentiate between legitimate rumors and MLBtraderumors and Phil Rogers "theoretical good trade in his mind" rumors/columns and everything else?

How many times does anyone really know ahead of time, 10-15%, at best?

Someone wanted to move Soriano to 3B. Then we have Dan Johnson and Dallas McPherson. Tyler Kuhn. Edwin Encarnacion, if the Blue Jays fall out of it. Eric Chavez, if he could actually play more than 2-3 times per week. Wilson Betemit. Might as well bring Melvin Mora or Miguel Tejada out of retirement.

Everyone but Ken Caminiti, Boyer and Santo have come up.

Even Robin Ventura has been mentioned!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Do we really have to differentiate between legitimate rumors and MLBtraderumors and Phil Rogers "theoretical good trade in his mind" rumors/columns and everything else?

How many times does anyone really know ahead of time, 10-15%, at best?

Someone wanted to move Soriano to 3B. Then we have Dan Johnson and Dallas McPherson. Tyler Kuhn. Edwin Encarnacion, if the Blue Jays fall out of it. Eric Chavez, if he could actually play more than 2-3 times per week. Wilson Betemit. Might as well bring Melvin Mora or Miguel Tejada out of retirement.

Everyone but Ken Caminiti, Boyer and Santo have come up.

Even Robin Ventura has been mentioned!

Yes, we do. Because the other two options are crap and made up. And especially when you say "So far it is between Cuddyer, Youkilis and forcing Stephen Drew (if he's healthy) to play out of position." as if all three of those options are currently being explored and have been discussed.

But please, name me off 3 more third baseman from the past to make a strange argument.

So then SoxTalk should be limited to 1-2 people who sometimes actually know something or hear a rumor, and the rest should just be ignored....okies.

Sounds like fun.

For example, Marty34 guessed that Santos would be traded.

He's also speculated that Viciedo, Alexei Ramirez, and another 5-7 players would be traded as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
So then SoxTalk should be limited to 1-2 people who sometimes actually know something or hear a rumor, and the rest should just be ignored....okies.

Sounds like fun.

No you are right. The Sox are now limited to Youkilis, A-Rod, Beltre, and Josh Hamilton(if he is over his intestinal virus and if they can convert him to third base, despite being lefthanded)

So far I havent heard any mention of Bill Mueller, Gary Gaetti, or Mike Lowell, but they are probably all in the running.

But hey, we havent heard any mention of Mike Schmidt yet!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
For example, Marty34 guessed that Santos would be traded.

He's also speculated that Viciedo, Alexei Ramirez, and another 5-7 players would be traded as well.

Did he mention players that are coming back with certainty? Or did he mention that he preferred these players to be traded because of his own percieved value of these players?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
I have an idea.

How about we ask someone who DOES supposedly know something or can at least convey what they think they've heard?

Then we can close this thread and move on.

Or, you could try not to sound like the guy who knows everything and actually participate in the discussion instead of throwing a bunch of s*** at the wall in an attempt to show everyone what you know.

But if you want to go find someone that knows, by all means.

You think Miguel Cabrera is available? What does Dan McNeil think?

Obviously Seattle is rebuilding and thus is going to be hesitant to trade any young players, but they have shown a willingness to trade young player for young player. I'd be curious what their demands would be for Kyle Seager....one of the better all-around 3b in baseball this year.

Seager did look like a good young player, but you have to wonder if he is someone that Seattle wants to keep as a core guy or not. Caulfield mentioned Encarnacion, that is another guy who could fit the bill, but he has had some injury issues as well as attitude issues his entire career.

The problem here is KW has no leverage. The league knows that 3b is killing the Sox. They are going to use that in any negotiation.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Or, you could try not to sound like the guy who knows everything and actually participate in the discussion instead of throwing a bunch of s*** at the wall in an attempt to show everyone what you know.

But if you want to go find someone that knows, by all means.

You think Miguel Cabrera is available? What does Dan McNeil think?

If if makes you feel better to try to mock me, by all means, go ahead.

I was ATTEMPTING to summarize some of the ideas we've heard about 3B in different threads. Kindly excuse me for not stating "this rumor/idea came from this person, this rumor came from Phil Rogers but it's not credible because nobody from SoxTalk takes him seriously even though every time he mentions a possible trade idea it gets quoted around here like it's the Gospel truth..."

I don't recall saying it came directly from the mouth of Peter Gammons or ESPN Insider or Keith Law or whatever, and 75% of the time their rumors and 90-95% of the time some random twitter rumor is just smoke with no fire.

So please, just for everyone's edification, can you please provide a list of all the SoxTalk posters who are "insiders" and whose information we can trust 100%? Who is on that list who has never been wrong or come up with something that's inaccurate?

I mean, we're told not to start threads with the names of posters on here, not to openly mock other posters (and I'll admit openly to doing this with Greg sometimes)....and yet it's okay for other posters to compare each other to Mitt Romney? Since I voted for Obama and volunteered for Obama, I wonder how offensive a comparison I could deliberately make that would get "under the skin" of aforementioned poster...but I've never done that before today. But apparently everyone calling each other names and cutely mocking each other will only improve the baseball conversations.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Seager did look like a good young player, but you have to wonder if he is someone that Seattle wants to keep as a core guy or not. Caulfield mentioned Encarnacion, that is another guy who could fit the bill, but he has had some injury issues as well as attitude issues his entire career.

The problem here is KW has no leverage. The league knows that 3b is killing the Sox. They are going to use that in any negotiation.

Encarnacion is nicknamed E-5. I want no part of him. We don't need a big bat there, we someone who can consistently put the ball in play and make all the plays on defense.

Seager hasn't ever lit it up in the minor leagues, and so I think he's surprising a bit with what he is doing now. Although Seattle is a pretty data-intensive organization right now, so my guess is they have a pretty good idea just how valuable he has been, and would be hesitant to move him. That being said, he is not such a thoroughbred of a prospect that they wouldn't consider doing it if they thought they were improving their ballclub.