Can we please find a big league 3B?!

macsandz

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Even the crappy UD seats are still in the $75 range on stubhub for tonight.

To those people selling, good luck with that. Supposedly the dynamic pricing takes the asking price on Stubhub into consideration. $85 for the bleachers on ticketmaster.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
White Sox dynamic ticket pricing....cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Sometimes, when you think of all the strategic mistakes they've made starting with SportsVision, Harry Caray, the new ballpark and its location....it's a miracle there's still another team still left in Chicago.

And yet, the White Sox are currently something like the 8th or 9th most valuable franchise in MLB. More valuable than the Cardinals, for example, which, to me, is the model for how to run an organization from top to bottom.

The sad thing is if the stories about the Padres being bid at $800 million are true, that puts the Sox somewhere in the $1 to 1.25 billion range.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
The sad thing is if the stories about the Padres being bid at $800 million are true, that puts the Sox somewhere in the $1 to 1.25 billion range.

When I saw that $800 million price the other day, I thought the same thing. The Sox may be a $1 billion + franchise. Makes you think Forbes with their 90-95% of MLB teams turn profits has to be somewhat accurate. I know its an ego thing to own a major league franchise, but these people buying also aren't going to pay that kind of money for right to lose some more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
The only way I would spend $100+ dollars (assuming I was actually in America or Chicago) is if Sale or Peavy or Quintana was starting.

At this point in time, I'd just have ZERO interest in seeing Humber or Floyd struggle out there.

Zach Stewart, I'd be even less inclined.

Coca-Cola Value Packs

Looking for a great value?

These packs include 4 tickets, 4 Dodger Dogs, and 4 Coca-Cola's - all starting at just $18 per seat!

Here's what I don't get, if Los Angeles is an even more expensive place to live than Chicago, and they're not going to loosen up on the parking and ticket prices like they do in LA, why can't they offer more food/drink specials at USCF?

I've lived in LA since 2005 and the last four within walking distance to Dodger Stadium. The biggest reason the Dodgers are offering discounts isn't because of the cost of living here, which I've always found to be about equal to Chicago (unless you want to buy a house, then it's another story), it's for two major reasons:

First, many local fans were skittish about going to Dodger games after a Giants fan was beaten outside the park after a game on opening weekend, who is still in a coma.

Second, the McCourts managed to alienate just about everyone in town during their regime and how it ended, and the new ownership group needs to get fans back.

Soxtalk has officially gone off its rocker.

No way in hell I'd dump Adam Dunn. At this point he's more than a fair deal and you can't just go re-acquire guys that lead the MLB in home runs once you free up salary space.

Rios is tough to call. If you care about this year (we did last time I checked, I can't tell what/if there is a coherent gameplan for the Soxtalk GM) you can't dump Rios right now, he's red hot and driving in runs at the same pace PK is.

There's no reason to trade Peavy. Zero. Not unless you're conceding the division

Apparently the White Sox have lost interest in Youkilis

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1225420...white-sox-radar

According to CBSSports.com, Kevin Youkilis became a potential trade target for the Chicago White Sox a few weeks ago. But recently, Youkilis' numbers have been dismal and the White Sox have lost interested, per CBSSports.com. That's a reasonable turn for the White Sox.

The Boston Red Sox third baseman wasn't doing very well in the first two months of the season. He had been hitting .250 with an on-base percentage of just .318 and a slugging percentage that had just edged up to .406 at the end of May.

His numbers went from bad to abysmal in June. Youkilis has jsut two extra-base hits for the month (both doubles) and a slash line of .128/.279/.179. Before going 1-for-3 against the Chicago Cubs on Sunday, Youkilis had been hitless in six straight games.

By far, Youkilis is having the worst year of his career in 2012. He has a slash line of .215/.303/.340 and has only walked 13 times this season (once every 11.76 plate appearances). The man known as "The Greek God of Walks" had never drawn a walk less often than every 10.02 plate appearances prior to this season, and had walk rates better than once every eight plate appearances in seven of his last eight seasons in the majors.

His decline is a predictable one as his bWAR has gone down in each of the last three seasons (6.3 in 2009, 5.1 in 2010, 3.7 in 2011 and -0.2 in 2012).

In 2011, the then 32-year-old had a .833 OPS, down from .975 the year before. That's due to a 38-point drop in on-base percentage (from .411 in 2010 to .373 in 2011) and two fewer home runs to go with an added 69 at-bats.

Should the White Sox trade for Kevin Youkilis?

Yes No I don't know Submit Vote vote to see results

What makes the decision for the White Sox to turn their eyes away from Youkilis even easier is his large salary. Youkilis makes $12 million this season and could be given a $13 million option next year. If the team with which he finishes the season decides not to retain him, they'd have to hand him a $1 million dollar buyout.

If the White Sox stay in contention, they wouldn't be that interested in taking on such a large salary, even for the last couple months of the season. Despite the team's current status as contenders, Kenny Williams surely doesn't want to saddle the team with too much extra money on the payroll.

The White Sox haven't been able to get much production out of the players they've put at third base this season. Brent Morel hit poorly before hurting his back, and Orlando Hudson hasn't been much better. Still, the 33-year-old wouldn't help the situation, especially when one considers his recent performance.

The White Sox's problem at third base may persist without another hard look at Youkilis. To work with what they currently have would be more cost effective and less risky than trading for Youkilis.

I understand both sides of the argument and don't envy KW. I'd like to dump some of those contracts, but Peavy is the only with enough value to acquire a legit prospect or 2. The problem with dumping those guys is that replacements aren't available. So, you dump some money and reinvest it into younger players. However, herein lies the catch, 35th street isn't viewed as a destination for FA's. I'm 33 and we've landed 3 big FA's in my lifetime. They've lost out on a number more. The GM position for the Sox is a tough one. You can't buy a team. You have to get creative, which is one reason KW's moves have been so hit or miss. This probably the reason he's so adamant about not burning other gm's. He's needs a working relationship with them. The good thing is that there's still time. We have about 45 days til the deadline. The picture should be more clear then.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Dunno...they could always put Figgins there so that he is actually playing. At this point for them, they should be trying to keep the "core" guys as you mentioned, and trading any other assets where they think they will show a net improvement in the next several years on. What they put on the field this year should not particularly matter.

I'm sure they'd want Viciedo.

I'd counter with Mitchell, throw in Morel, then you'd probably have to give up one of the SP spects we just got this offseason, and maybe even low-level offensive player.

Wait, what?

EDIT: Nevermind, somehow I read that wrong and thought you were suggesting that package for Figgins.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 05:25 AM)
I understand both sides of the argument and don't envy KW. I'd like to dump some of those contracts, but Peavy is the only with enough value to acquire a legit prospect or 2. The problem with dumping those guys is that replacements aren't available. So, you dump some money and reinvest it into younger players. However, herein lies the catch, 35th street isn't viewed as a destination for FA's. I'm 33 and we've landed 3 big FA's in my lifetime. They've lost out on a number more. The GM position for the Sox is a tough one. You can't buy a team. You have to get creative, which is one reason KW's moves have been so hit or miss. This probably the reason he's so adamant about not burning other gm's. He's needs a working relationship with them. The good thing is that there's still time. We have about 45 days til the deadline. The picture should be more clear then.

Hermanson, Iguchi, Dye, El Duque, AJ

None of those were splashy moves like David Wells, Dunn, Albert Belle or even Jaime Navarro, but look where it eventually led.

Same with Quintana, DeAza, Jenks, Santos, Humber, Carlos Quentin..."under the radar" has always worked much better for this organization.

As far as not burning other GM's, I'm sure AA isn't happy with the Santos situation, but nor are we about Molina. He's been "burned" a lot more often than not since 2008. By the DBacks, AA, Beane, and Rizzo, in particular.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
But seriously, how do you throw a strike to Cats McShaggin? His OBP would be through the roof.

There was once a midget who played in the bigs a long time ago, his only PA was a walk. He had a career OBP of 1.000 and an OPS of 1.000. Hall of Fame numbers. :lolhitting

It is getting really bad.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

Viciedo won't be the answer to White Sox third base question

June 18, 2012, 7:22 pm

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams talks about the early impressions of Dayan Viciedo in left field - 3/21

JJ STANKEVITZ

When the White Sox signed a 19-year-old Dayan Viciedo in December of 2008, questions persisted about his ability to remain at his native third base. Viciedo stayed at the hot corner in his first two professional seasons, but was bumped to right field in 2011. This spring, Viciedo was moved to left, where he's played in his first full major-league season.

But with Brent Morel on the disabled list and Orlando Hudson hitting .183 as a member of the White Sox, some have wondered whether Viciedo could return to third base. Kenny Williams even broached the idea to the White Sox coaching staff, although it wasn't received too positively.

"It was just in conversation and I was shot down in the room pretty quickly," Williams said. "He wasn't as bad over there as people want to think he was. I think in an emergency situation he can go in there."

But that's just an in an emergency. The Sox have Hudson, Eduardo Escobar and Brent Lillibridge on their roster, all with experience at third base. All three of those players would likely enter a game at third over Viciedo.

Three months ago, Viciedo looked lost at the plate. It wasn't until the final week of spring training that he started to hit, although he tailed back off in April, posting a .585 OPS with 18 strikeouts and one walk in the month. But more noticeable was his lack of defensive confidence at his new position.

Williams noted during spring training that Viciedo looked "uncomfortable" in left field, which director of player development Buddy Bell took a step further.

"I'm sure there's a little bit of that, being able to separate your offense and your defense. I don't think there's any question about that," Bell told CSNChicago in March. "It would affect the most veteran of guys, so I would say yeah, it would affect him somewhat."

What Bell was getting at was that Viciedo's defensive issues could very well have been creeping into his offensive approach, leading to an all-around struggle. As Viciedo has looked more and more comfortable in left field, his offense has come around. Since May 2, Viciedo has hit nine home runs with a .829 OPS, right about in line with what was projected out of him prior to the season.

If Viciedo were moved back to third and wasn't comfortable there, it very well could negate the entire argument as to why he should be shifted out of left field. That's the worry, and that's something of which White Sox certainly appear cognizant.

"He's probably be scared to death right now," Williams said. "He's probably best where he is."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
At this point, the 3b issue is the least of our problems. How about we find a guy that can pitch?

Third base really isn't that big of a problem. His defense is adequate and probably equal to most of the big bats we could bring in at that position. Of course, Orlando's defense actually has plenty of upside to get better unlike some of the Youkilis types of players. I also think that O-Dog plays better defense than Mark Teahen. It'd be great to get his bat (or any 3B bat) going, but this team is going as far as Gavin Floyd, Phil Humber, Jose Quintana, and our AA/AAA rotations will take us. Unless Floyd/Humber catch fire something like right now, it would be a waste of prospects to acquire a short term 3B

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
Third base really isn't that big of a problem. His defense is adequate and probably equal to most of the big bats we could bring in at that position. Of course, Orlando's defense actually has plenty of upside to get better unlike some of the Youkilis types of players. I also think that O-Dog plays better defense than Mark Teahen. It'd be great to get his bat (or any 3B bat) going, but this team is going as far as Gavin Floyd, Phil Humber, Jose Quintana, and our AA/AAA rotations will take us. Unless Floyd/Humber catch fire something like right now, it would be a waste of prospects to acquire a short term 3B

Maybe, but I doubt Hudson can be nearly as good at making the play on the bunt or the slow dribbler down the line where he has to throw towards 1B across his body with all of his moment going away from the field as he comes in to field it. That's the toughest play for a 3B.