Can we please find a big league 3B?!

macsandz

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Encarnacion is nicknamed E-5. I want no part of him. We don't need a big bat there, we someone who can consistently put the ball in play and make all the plays on defense.

Seager hasn't ever lit it up in the minor leagues, and so I think he's surprising a bit with what he is doing now. Although Seattle is a pretty data-intensive organization right now, so my guess is they have a pretty good idea just how valuable he has been, and would be hesitant to move him. That being said, he is not such a thoroughbred of a prospect that they wouldn't consider doing it if they thought they were improving their ballclub.

Who is waiting to take his place. That italian kid? Or is he at another position? I thought he was supposed to be a 3b

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Liddi plays SS and 3B, but he's not seriously considered a top prospect.

Seager at one point this season (and maybe recently) was the hottest hitter in Seattle's line-up, and placed 3rd in the batting order.

So it probably does mean that the likelihood of prying him away would be very minimal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Who is waiting to take his place. That italian kid? Or is he at another position? I thought he was supposed to be a 3b

Dunno...they could always put Figgins there so that he is actually playing. At this point for them, they should be trying to keep the "core" guys as you mentioned, and trading any other assets where they think they will show a net improvement in the next several years on. What they put on the field this year should not particularly matter.

I'm sure they'd want Viciedo.

I'd counter with Mitchell, throw in Morel, then you'd probably have to give up one of the SP spects we just got this offseason, and maybe even low-level offensive player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
Alex Liddi plays SS and 3B, but he's not seriously considered a top prospect.

Seager at one point this season (and maybe recently) was the hottest hitter in Seattle's line-up, and placed 3rd in the batting order.

So it probably does mean that the likelihood of prying him away would be very minimal.

He's cooled-off considerably...he's a .765 OPS player or so, but he's a smart young hitter and a very solid defender.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Dunno...they could always put Figgins there so that he is actually playing. At this point for them, they should be trying to keep the "core" guys as you mentioned, and trading any other assets where they think they will show a net improvement in the next several years on. What they put on the field this year should not particularly matter.

I'm sure they'd want Viciedo.

I'd counter with Mitchell, throw in Morel, then you'd probably have to give up one of the SP spects we just got this offseason, and maybe even low-level offensive player.

You know what worries me? Figgins. That is someone that KW has had on his list for a while.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
You know what worries me? Figgins. That is someone that KW has had on his list for a while.

Good point...they'd have to pay a s***load of his salary...he's making $9M this year, $8M next year, and has an option for $9M in '14 that vests if he reaches 600 PA in 2013.

I'd say they'd basically have to give us $10 million and take back Brent Lillibridge or something.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
No thanks to Chone if Sox are being forced to pay anything but the minimum for him.

Yeah, I doubt he would do anything more than Flo-Rida at this point...and I think we are seeing some slow, but steady improvement from him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Hudson is tgrying the best he can I think. They guy is playing out of position and re-learning 3B. We are in first place and maybe his defense has helped keep us there? No need to to panic

No. No it has not

I'm just gonna come out and say it, surprised no one else has mentioned him...

If the White Sox are still paying him, I'm sure Mark Teahen could be had from the Nationals. Ironically, for cash considerations more than likely.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm just gonna come out and say it, surprised no one else has mentioned him...

If the White Sox are still paying him, I'm sure Mark Teahen could be had from the Nationals. Ironically, for cash considerations more than likely.

I wish we had Uribe.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Would Scott Rolen be considered an upgrade??

Yes, but why would the first place Reds trade him away?

And then again, given his injury history and the fact that he is currently on a rehab assignment, why would you want him?

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:07 AM)
Chase Headley, Chris Nelson, Ryan Roberts, Ian Stewart could be some names to look at at 3b.

Headley probably too expensive in terms of asking price, Nelson not much of an upgrade (concern about converting from Coors, NL to AL), Stewart's been terrible for the Cubs.

Someone mentioned Inge, but he wouldn't have gotten to us on waivers, and there's no way we were going to pick up his salary.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Yes, but why would the first place Reds trade him away?

And then again, given his injury history and the fact that he is currently on a rehab assignment, why would you want him?

Todd Frazier has been pretty damn good filling in at 3rd.

I'm not sure I do want him just throwing his name out there as a possibility. If his injury was what was holding him back early in the year (sound familiar?) then depending on what it takes to get him I'd take a flyer on him.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
Todd Frazier has been pretty damn good filling in at 3rd.

I'm not sure I do want him just throwing his name out there as a possibility. If his injury was what was holding him back early in the year (sound familiar?) then depending on what it takes to get him I'd take a flyer on him.

Except they really value Rolen's leadership and presence around the team.

He probably won't even be able to play everyday...so that crosses him off the list.

It would be like adding Eric Chavez.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
Except they really value Rolen's leadership and presence around the team.

He probably won't even be able to play everyday...so that crosses him off the list.

It would be like adding Eric Chavez.

More than that, the Reds would want something major-league helpful in return.

I have seen where Chris Johnson from Houston could be had. He's been a good, solid but by no means any kind of star at 3B and would be an upgrade over what we have. I can't see him having a super high price tage except for the fact that every GM has to know the Sox are desperate for 3B and will try to make them overpay.