Can we please find a big league 3B?!

macsandz

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Like I said I know you can't trade him now. Though it could get interesting if the Sox spend the next month and a half putzing around .500, and someone like Detroit or Cleveland gets hot and opens up a 5+ game lead. Do you then look to deal Peavy and Rios?

If I'm KW, if anyone wanted to eat the contract, I'd trade Peavy, Rios and Dunn. It would take a little more to get Peavy as the commitment is coming to a close anyway in about 3 1/2 months.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
If I'm KW, if anyone wanted to eat the contract, I'd trade Peavy, Rios and Dunn. It would take a little more to get Peavy as the commitment is coming to a close anyway in about 3 1/2 months.

I still don't understand how trading Dunn makes any sense.

Rios I would dump in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Like I said I know you can't trade him now. Though it could get interesting if the Sox spend the next month and a half putzing around .500, and someone like Detroit or Cleveland gets hot and opens up a 5+ game lead. Do you then look to deal Peavy and Rios?

I think so. If they could deal either of those guys and get back some decent prospects (along with ridding of the salary), I would think they'd do it. I wonder which one would be more heavily sought? Do you consider Dunn to be tradeable, too? The Sox could dump a ton of salary and pick up some pieces for the future. Of course, we want to win, but if they are 5 games back or so at the break...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
I think so. If they could deal either of those guys and get back some decent prospects (along with ridding of the salary), I would think they'd do it. I wonder which one would be more heavily sought? Do you consider Dunn to be tradeable, too? The Sox could dump a ton of salary and pick up some pieces for the future. Of course, we want to win, but if they are 5 games back or so at the break...

I'd have to think that if you put Dunn on Waivers right now, some team in need of offense would claim him.

I'm not sure about Rios yet.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)

I'm fine with Dunn being here on the deal he has. 2011 was a Guillen related fluke. We've seen it happen before. (Hey Nick Swisher, how's it goin?) Rios and Peavy are a different story for me.

What on earth are you guys talking about?

Rios, Dunn, and Peavy are all finally producing how we expected them to when we acquired them. If not for that purpose, why did we acquire them? Did we not acquire them to win? Are we not winning now? So we finally reach the intended goal, and you want to undue the acquisitions...and for what purpose?

If not to win, what the hell is the goal here?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
What on earth are you guys talking about?

Rios, Dunn, and Peavy are all finally producing how we expected them to when we acquired them. If not for that purpose, why did we acquire them? Did we not acquire them to win? Are we not winning now? So we finally reach the intended goal, and you want to undue the acquisitions...and for what purpose?

If not to win, what the hell is the goal here?

You undo it because moving forward you have to be crazy to expect them to continue their resurgences. See Wells, Vernon. He bounced back somewhat, enough for another team to bite, and unloaded him on the Angels who will release him soon and eat a ton of money.

It frees up a huge chunk of payroll for a re-do.

If someone told you back in February, in June or July teams would take these guys and eat all of their money, if you're the Sox, you're doing cartwheels.

We already had the Alex Rios tease in the first half of 2010.

Peavy would be the guy I would be most reluctant to part with as his obligation is about to end.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)

Its a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere. Dunn has been coming up big, but his production most likely will drop off. I don't trust his offense will remain worth anywhere near what they are going to have to pay him, although I'm loving what he's doing lately and his weight drop probably makes him more attractive to NL teams as now he can at least act like he should be wearing a glove.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
You undo it because moving forward you have to be crazy to expect them to continue their resurgences. See Wells, Vernon. He bounced back somewhat, enough for another team to bite, and unloaded him on the Angels who will release him soon and eat a ton of money.

If someone told you back in February, in June or July teams would take these guys and eat all of their money, if you're the Sox, you're doing cartwheels.

Peavy would be the guy I would be most reluctant to part with as his obligation is about to end.

Rios is the only one of those three that I'm afraid will regress. Dunn is performing near his career averages again. So, I would expect him to continue that way. I don't think he'll hit 55 HRs (which he is on pace for), but numbers like .230ish, 45 HRs, and 100+ RBIs? I'll take that. Peavy looks to be back to form after two years of injuries.

Regardless, if this team is still in first place at the deadline, I don't see any reason to trade any of those guys "for the future". The future is now with the team in first place.

To think we could have had Brandon Inge for nothing (.775 OPS with Oakland).

Would Washington be willing to unload Ryan Zimmerman? He's clearly not fitting in to the whole youth movement, and is getting pretty expensive. That said, if you're willing to gamble on a contract, he'd be worth it.

Rumor has it Philly is getting close to fire sale territory if we thought Placido Polanco at this stage of his career was an upgrade.

Youk would, honestly, have to be dirt cheap both in cost to acquire as well as cost to play.

The future's even MORE NOW because of Peavy being on the way out and not knowing how long Sale or even Quintana can keep performing this well.

With us unlikely to retain Gavin Floyd (at the present moment), when will there be a better chance to take the AL Central? Are DET, CLE and KC likely to be weaker in the future?

By the logic of trading Dunn, Rios and Peavy, we should also be trading Addison Reed and annointing Nathan Jones the closer. Then we might as well be the Oakland A's.

Rios, you can understand, if you had a player who could actually contribute to replace him....and no, I don't mean Fukudome or Lillibridge or Danks.

If you're going to go ahead and deal Dunn, then what's the point of having Konerko and AJ and Thornton and Crain and Ramirez still around? The odds of being able to compete in 2013 and beyond without Dunn and Peavy aren't going to be that great anyway.

Are we really buying this is a possible return to the 2004-05 acquisitions cycle, we're just going to dump all those big salaries and magically come up with another team on the fly with all the savings...? Why didn't we just do that in the first place, instead of going for the big names (which comes with big contracts)?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
I'd have to think that if you put Dunn on Waivers right now, some team in need of offense would claim him.

He leads the majors in homeruns and doesn't make 20 million. Someone would take him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
To think we could have had Brandon Inge for nothing (.775 OPS with Oakland).

Would Washington be willing to unload Ryan Zimmerman? He's clearly not fitting in to the whole youth movement, and is getting pretty expensive. That said, if you're willing to gamble on a contract, he'd be worth it.

Rumor has it Philly is getting close to fire sale territory if we thought Placido Polanco at this stage of his career was an upgrade.

Youk would, honestly, have to be dirt cheap both in cost to acquire as well as cost to play.

Always 3-4 years too late.

Polanco would have been a perfect 2 hole hitter for this team and could have allowed us to shift Beckham to a more natural spot, although he's doing decently there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
The future's even MORE NOW because of Peavy being on the way out and not knowing how long Sale or even Quintana can keep performing this well.

With us unlikely to retain Gavin Floyd (at the present moment), when will there be a better chance to take the AL Central? Are DET, CLE and KC likely to be weaker in the future?

By the logic of trading Dunn, Rios and Peavy, we should also be trading Addison Reed and annointing Nathan Jones the closer. Then we might as well be the Oakland A's.

Rios, you can understand, if you had a player who could actually contribute to replace him....and no, I don't mean Fukudome or Lillibridge or Danks.

If you're going to go ahead and deal Dunn, then what's the point of having Konerko and AJ and Thornton and Crain and Ramirez still around? The odds of being able to compete in 2013 and beyond without Dunn and Peavy aren't going to be that great anyway.

Are we really buying this is a possible return to the 2004-05 acquisitions cycle, we're just going to dump all those big salaries and magically come up with another team on the fly with all the savings...? Why didn't we just do that in the first place, instead of going for the big names (which comes with big contracts)?

This team can frustrate the hell out of us fans. We all hoped the team would compete, but many of us secretly thought there was no chance. Therefore, we were thinking of dumping a couple players at the deadline and continue building for the future. Now the Sox are in first place in the division, albeit barely. And, the other teams vying for first place (Cleveland and Detroit) are not exactly playing great baseball. So, what will KW do if come the end of July the Sox are in first place by 1 or 2 games? Or even if they are back a game or two? Trading Dunn, Peavy, or Rios wouldn't make any sense unless there's some team looking for one of those guys and they have a guy we really want (not likely at all). But do we really want to see some of the pieces of the future traded to make the team a little bit better? Do we really want to see Reed, Jones, Qunitana, etc. traded? I don't. But, the future IS now with the team playing the way they are in a weal division. I have a feeling there will be much swearing and throwing stuff come July.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)

If someone told me back in February that the three of them would have this level of production, I think the Sox would be doing bigger cartwheels. The Sox, as an organization, want to win. They do not want to do a rebuild. If you trade any one of them, you may as well trade all of them.

The whole point of acquiring them was to win the division and advance in the postseason. It hasn't worked out that way yet, and you've had to pay them all along the way...now it is working out, so we are going to trade them?

To be honest, I know the vast majority of the fans do not like Alex Rios, but what we do know is that since this new coaching staff has come in, he has played well and displayed a hard work ethic and a positive attitude. Who's to say that he regresses again?

Dunn, I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last year.

Peavy will most likely be gone next year.

At the very least, you hold on to these guys til the offseason and then trade them then (see Wells, Vernon) after you've given it a shot this year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Rios is the only one of those three that I'm afraid will regress. Dunn is performing near his career averages again. So, I would expect him to continue that way. I don't think he'll hit 55 HRs (which he is on pace for), but numbers like .230ish, 45 HRs, and 100+ RBIs? I'll take that. Peavy looks to be back to form after two years of injuries.

Regardless, if this team is still in first place at the deadline, I don't see any reason to trade any of those guys "for the future". The future is now with the team in first place.

If I was convinced Dunn would stay at his current level or previous level before he came to the Sox, I would agree with you. I am not convinced. He's doing great, but I said it months ago, if any of these guys plays well enough someone will take all their money, you have to move them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
If I was convinced Dunn would stay at his current level or previous level before he came to the Sox, I would agree with you. I am not convinced. He's doing great, but I said it months ago, if any of these guys plays well enough someone will take all their money, you have to move them.

And then what the hell do you do? Go sign someone else instead?

We've got a really nice collection of young players and veterans right now...but the farm system is still fairly barren as far as we can tell...if you jettison these vets now, there is no telling you'll be able to replace them in time to win before the young players we have now either become prohibitively expensive, making it difficult to add any talent to the team, become prohibitively expensive and walk off into the sunset, or suffer injury or a regression in production.

This is why rebuilding is so f***ing hard.

When you have a chance to win, you take it. That's what the entire purpose of playing was, last I checked.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
When you have a chance to win, you take it. That's what the entire purpose of playing was, last I checked.

I think the collective at Soxtalk is over-reacting to some painfully blown games over the weekend. People need to chill, it's f***ing baseball! It's mid-way through June and the White Sox are in first. Talk of dropping Dunn or Peavy is asinine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
And then what the hell do you do? Go sign someone else instead?

We've got a really nice collection of young players and veterans right now...but the farm system is still fairly barren as far as we can tell...if you jettison these vets now, there is no telling you'll be able to replace them in time to win before the young players we have now either become prohibitively expensive, making it difficult to add any talent to the team, become prohibitively expensive and walk off into the sunset, or suffer injury or a regression in production.

This is why rebuilding is so f***ing hard.

Peavy is gone after this year. You could find an OF and an DH with the money saved not having to pay Dunn and Rios .

You can still win without those guys. The Sox lost a game the other night when Rios and Dunn combined for 3 homers. I'm also projecting the future. If you base everything on the past, there really is no purpose playing the games. You keep these guys if you think they can perform like they are performing for the balance of their contracts. I believe you have to be crazy to think that is the case. I really doubt you can dump them anyway. Maybe Dunn, but his market is very limited. I doubt any other team would touch Rios' contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
I think the collective at Soxtalk is over-reacting to some painfully blown games over the weekend. People need to chill, it's f***ing baseball! It's mid-way through June and the White Sox are in first. Talk of dropping Dunn or Peavy is asinine.

I agree with Steve here. What is the sense of moving either of those guys even if someone wants to take on the money? Who would you sign/trade for/bring up to replace Dunn's numbers? No one. Unless, as I mentioned before, a team NEEDS one of those guys and they have a guy that we NEED. That's just not going to happen. If the Sox stumble and are five games out at the deadline, then maybe you try to move them. But if they are in first? No way.