• Let Buehrle walk, signed Danks to the deal he got
    • Let Buehrle walk, dealt Danks
    • Other, please specify

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
Signing Mark to the same contract Miami gave him would have been f***ing stupid

/thread

"But.... but he's fan favorite and such a nice guy! Who cares about money?!? Pay him $100 million! Whatever it takes...!"

Re: Danks, looking at his 2008-2010 stats, age, & lack of injury history, I thought it was a good deal. I thought 2011 was just a bad unlucky year. However, I could see why people would question it. Either way, it's way too early to call it a bad deal, let the next 4.5 years play out first.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
Agreed. I'd also like to have a beer with him. He seems to be one of those guys who has a unique perspective on life. Very underrated poster.

He's OK but he tends to whine at times.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
"But.... but he's fan favorite and such a nice guy! Who cares about money?!? Pay him $100 million! Whatever it takes...!"

You guys can't accept the fact he is reliable, durable, going to pitch till he's Moyer's age if he wants to AND he rubs off on the other pitchers in a POSITIVE WAY.

Mark Buehrle earns every penny. We blew it by letting him walk.

You guys can't accept the fact he is reliable, durable, going to pitch till he's Moyer's age if he wants to AND he rubs off on the other pitchers in a POSITIVE WAY.

Mark Buehrle earns every penny. We blew it by letting him walk.

It doesn't matter greg. It's a well known fact that buehrle isn't a fan of beer. He isn't worth the contract he got.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)

You know this is twice you have said this about me. I didn't say anything like this. I believe Buehrle is and will remain the better pitcher. If you don't, that's fine.

Greg, you saying I tend to whine sometimes is incredibly hilarious.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
You know this is twice you have said this about me. I didn't say anything like this. I believe Buehrle is and will remain the better pitcher. If you don't, that's fine.

Do you think Buehrle will be a better pitcher in 2014 & 2015? Danks did have a lower ERA in 2008, 2009, & 2010 as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Do you think Buehrle will be a better pitcher in 2014 & 2015? Danks did have a lower ERA in 2008, 2009, & 2010 as well.

I do. I think Buehrle will be an effective pitcher as long as he wants to play. He is a soft tossing lefty, it isn't as if he lost an upper 90s fastball and has to reinvent himself.

I'm sick of watching Danks. Everytime he is staked to a lead he coughs it up. I used to think he was going to be something special, but the past 2 1/2 seasons he has managed to change my mind.

He and Jamie would rather take the money from the beer and give it to animal shelters instead.

How dare they cut into Applebee's operating margins!!!!

George Washington is turning in his grave right now... Him and our forefathers accomplished all they did while drinking beers and probably wearing beaver pelts on their head.

Buehrle and his unamerican self can stay down there and rot with that communist Fidel-lover.

Edited by soxmaniac!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
On the other hand, Quintana's looking like almost a carbon copy, but with even better stuff.

Business-like, composed/poised, fearless, one of the rare Sox pitchers who likes to come inside and challenge hitters, lots of movement on his pitches, numerous swings and misses....

His composure on the mound is what excites me most about him.

You just don't pay $58 million dollars to a 33 year old pitcher who's best described as "durable". It just doesn't make sense financially. You know who else is a soft-tossing rubber armed durable pitcher? Livan Hernandez.

The Sox made the right move.

And like I said, I also would have traded Danks. I was in the full rebuild mode this off-season. Whatever deal was best Kenny should have taken.

Like Humber in 2011, it seems like we lucked out into another starter in Quintana.

That said, we wouldn't have been any worse off this season with Thornton and Floyd both gone before a single pitch was thrown...and might have received some actual halfway useful pieces back, as well the payroll savings.

So it is what it is.

Beck from Georgia Southern might be our best starting prospect RIGHT now...if not, it's neck and neck with Castro and Axelrod.

Note: Please keep Marco Paddy away from KW until someone we've acquired from the Blue Jays' system actually does something for us that's helpful at the big league level.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
I do. I think Buehrle will be an effective pitcher as long as he wants to play. He is a soft tossing lefty, it isn't as if he lost an upper 90s fastball and has to reinvent himself.

I'm sick of watching Danks. Everytime he is staked to a lead he coughs it up. I used to think he was going to be something special, but the past 2 1/2 seasons he has managed to change my mind.

I obviously disagree, but I can see where you are coming from. However, that still doesn't mean Mark is worth a 4 year, $58 million contract at age 33.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
I obviously disagree, but I can see where you are coming from. However, that still doesn't mean Mark is worth a 4 year, $58 million contract at age 33.

You are right, he isn't worth that much. I think he was worth negotiating with though, and I don't think Danks was. Danks should have been moved.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
You are right, he isn't worth that much. I think he was worth negotiating with though, and I don't think Danks was. Danks should have been moved.

Can't really say what should have been done at this point...have to wait and see how it plays out over the next several years. Obviously,to this point, what you are saying is correct.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:32 PM)
Can't really say what should have been done at this point...have to wait and see how it plays out over the next several years. Obviously,to this point, what you are saying is correct.

I hope I'm wrong, I want him to win a lot of games for the Sox. I just don't know if Danks has another gear in him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:42 AM)

Mark will pitcher forever like Moyer. That's why it saddens me to see him gone.

Why is it hilarious? I said I like your posts, but if I had to characterize u I'd say there is occasional whining.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
I'd be willing to bet that if there were any offers for Danks that were close to reasonable or solid, they'd have moved him. I also don't think anyone was willing to give up more than a Zach Stewart level for a pitcher 1 year away from free agency.

I still believe that Williams had a deal on the table for Danks, which is what caused Danks to quickly sign a contract. No evidence to prove anything, just a feeling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Again, you've spelled out the catch 22 here. If the Sox went into the season with Viciedo, De Aza, and Morel in their lineup, people wouldn't look at this team and think "This team is set to compete right now". If you wanted to field a team ready to challenge for the AL this year, you wouldn't give any of those guys a starting spot coming in to this year, you'd spend money to try to put someone better in those positions. Telling the season ticket holders to stay, they're competing again this year...that's a $130 million+ payroll, and it requires blocking/getting rid of question mark guys who might give you something but who you can't count on (Alejandro).

Even if you kept Buehrle, you're in the same boat...most of the season ticket holders would have no confidence in the team coming in to this year, except they'd have a $15 million a year pitcher taking up even more of their payroll.

You're right it doesn't sell tickets, but that's what the failure of last year left us with. When you go all in and lose, you're out and you have to start again.

Not really. I think the Sox attendance even if Buerhle came back, would be down from last year, but instead of the average being 21,330 I believe it would be at least 22,330. Nothing great, but an improvement, and when you add that additional money up with what they alledgedly offered Soler, get creative and its possible Buerhle takes the offer. For now it would look pretty good, who knows, it could look real ugly a month from now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I still believe that Williams had a deal on the table for Danks, which is what caused Danks to quickly sign a contract. No evidence to prove anything, just a feeling.

I don't think that was "Quickly signing a contract", I think that the Sox knew going in to the offseason what it would take to sign Danks, tried for a month+ (including the winter meetings) to trade him, got back crappy offers, called up his agent, and said "ok let's do something now".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
I don't think that was "Quickly signing a contract", I think that the Sox knew going in to the offseason what it would take to sign Danks, tried for a month+ (including the winter meetings) to trade him, got back crappy offers, called up his agent, and said "ok let's do something now".

Judging by the negotiations history of Danks not wanting to sign a long term deal with the Sox for years, I think the scenario where Danks backed down makes by far the most sense.