2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my rant here: Hockey is the most poorly run sport in the history of mankind. Here we are with another work stoppage, another lost season. You've got Fehr holding out like this is the national pastime, baseball. This is hockey, a sport with a very very very limited fanbase and limited TV dollars. What the hell do the players want? Seems to me they make a helluva lot of money compared to the amount of money in the pot in this sport with a limited audience.

So this season is wiped out. After killing a whole season do you think the owners will cave at all next summer? It'll be back to the negotiating tables again about next September and they'll have 3 weeks to get a deal done again.

At least football was smart enough to realize they had to get a deal done. Hockey? What a bunch of morons to let this drag out like this again.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
Forgive my rant here: Hockey is the most poorly run sport in the history of mankind. Here we are with another work stoppage, another lost season. You've got Fehr holding out like this is the national pastime, baseball. This is hockey, a sport with a very very very limited fanbase and limited TV dollars. What the hell do the players want? Seems to me they make a helluva lot of money compared to the amount of money in the pot in this sport with a limited audience.

So this season is wiped out. After killing a whole season do you think the owners will cave at all next summer? It'll be back to the negotiating tables again about next September and they'll have 3 weeks to get a deal done again.

At least football was smart enough to realize they had to get a deal done. Hockey? What a bunch of morons to let this drag out like this again.

I can't forgive your rant when you probably haven't spent 10 seconds researching the lockout and are throwing it all on the players for being greedy.

I need to decide whether I can make non-changeable, alternative plans for 12/7, which is when I have Hawks/Devils tix. Even if by some miracle they reached an agreement this week, there's no way they'd be playing that soon, is there? I'd estimate a 2% chance, at best.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
I need to decide whether I can make non-changeable, alternative plans for 12/7, which is when I have Hawks/Devils tix. Even if by some miracle they reached an agreement this week, there's no way they'd be playing that soon, is there? I'd estimate a 2% chance, at best.

They absolutely will not be playing 12/7.

If they reach a deal this week, they would for sure be playing by the 7th.

If you can hold out a little longer, the next wave of cancellations should be any day now.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
If they reach a deal this week, they would for sure be playing by the 7th.

If you can hold out a little longer, the next wave of cancellations should be any day now.

You think they could get through training camps and exhibitions in a bit over two weeks?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
You think they could get through training camps and exhibitions in a bit over two weeks?

Yes. Daly had a quote earlier in October where he said something like "camps would have to open by Friday for the season to begin a week later."

This is when they were referencing starting Nov 2nd weekend.

I don't even know that they'd have exhibition games.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Yes. Daly had a quote earlier in October where he said something like "camps would have to open by Friday for the season to begin a week later."

This is when they were referencing starting Nov 2nd weekend.

I don't even know that they'd have exhibition games.

Wow. That is crazy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Wow. That is crazy.

It does seem nuts, but it's going to be a rush if they ever get something done. That was the first time they hinted at starting the season as early as a week after an agreement. I don't know if that would hold, or if they would allow more time, but I'm positive Daly said that before a slew of games got cancelled.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
I remember stories from the last big lockout about Keith Tkachuk coming into camp at almost 300 pounds. I'm sure there would be plenty of those kind of stories.

You know Dusty Buff would be a #1 contender for most out of shape after a lockout.

They just cancelled through the 14th.