2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 06:27 AM)
Seven of the 27 previous President's Trophy winners won the Stanley Cup. Six of them failed to win a playoff series. Let's be part of the former not the latter please.

Aka 91 against the North Stars...sigh.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
Emery removed with 6 minutes left in 1st period most likely tweaking his lower body injury. 2-1 Hawks on goal by Toews and Kane after one.

I hope it's not his surgically repaired hip. How still don't know how he plays on it. He should have been out of the league a few years ago. With the ambiguous "lower body injury" there is no telling if it's his hip or not.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/921134...s-nhl-playoffs/

See You All in the Playoffs

The Blackhawks have won the Presidents' Trophy. What's next?

By Katie Baker on April 25, 2013

They earned points in 24 straight games this season, setting a new NHL record. They lost only six times in regulation all year. According to a practically panting Sports Illustrated cover, The Franchise "brought hockey back" in the process. And with a 4-1 win over the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday night, the Chicago Blackhawks wrapped up the top prize of the regular season: the Presidents' Trophy. Now, they'll spend their last two games before the playoffs trying desperately to downplay their own success.

Winning the Presidents' Trophy, awarded to the team with the best record in the regular season, is typically a self-conscious affair. It's like the popular kid in high school who tries to keep quiet about excellent grades. Sure, he's totally earned it, but he neither wants to get made fun of nor have people constantly trying to get help with homework. Recognition is nice until you realize all eyes are on you. With apologies to Ryan Adams, everybody wants to see you fall; that's why they always love to get you high.

That's partially because it's tough to really celebrate when you haven't — in the singular focus of NHL athletes — actually won yet. (And when you're a team that hoisted the Stanley Cup just three seasons back, you've got a ways to go just to reach your own high-water mark.) But another part of it is that many often view the Presidents' Trophy as a detriment. This isn't really true, of course: As Jonathan Willis points out, the alleged Presidents' Trophy "curse" doesn't exactly hold up to scrutiny.

That doesn't stop anyone from talking about it, though. After the Blackhawks' win, reporters began bringing up the downsides of dominating the regular season, even if they tried to frame it in a positive light. Do you relish the challenge of having a target on your back? — that sort of thing. Chicago coach Joel Quenneville answered diplomatically.

"Somebody's got to be the top team," he said. "We don't mind having home ice. We don't mind playing at the United Center; it's a special place."

The Blackhawks were to a degree willing to reflect on their accomplishments; players and Quenneville spoke, though not boastfully, about how their regular-season record reflected their confidence and consistency throughout the season.

"We're proud of the fact we're the top team in the regular season," said Patrick Sharp. "But that's over with now and we're focusing on Game 1 of the playoffs."

His comments reminded me of what Dwyane Wade had said after the Miami Heat, another team that went on a highly publicized streak this winter, had finally lost a game to break the spell. "Now that it's over, I'm glad that it's over," he said of their unbeaten run. "See you all in the playoffs."

Maybe Wade is a T.S. Eliot fan. Not to get too postcoital on you, but the whole thing is like a scene from "The Waste Land."

She turns and looks a moment in the glass,

Hardly aware of her departed lover;

Her brain allows one half-formed thought to pass:

"Well now that's done: and I'm glad it's over."

When lovely woman stoops to folly and

Paces about her room again, alone,

She smoothes her hair with automatic hand,

And puts a record on the gramophone.

Something tells me that the Blackhawks won't want to talk much more about the Presidents' Trophy — though, in some particular cases, it may be less out of humility and more because they're too busy bar-gargling. They have two more regular-season games to get through, and then they'll be glad it's over: The playoffs begin Tuesday. Let's put on a record and dance.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Jay Zawaski ‏@JayZawaski670 now

Hawks recall : J Hayes, J Morin, B Pirri and B Smith, defensemen A Clendening, S Lalonde and S Montador, and goalie Henrik Karlsson. #aces

Bonus points for anyone who understands what #aces means.

Play all of them Saturday.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
I'll confess my inferiority. What's aces mean?

It's not something most fans have heard about.

They are (mainly) prospects pulled up at the end of the year, serve as extra guys during practices throughout the playoffs. Often times they'll be up for development/get the feel of the playoffs, culture of the team, etc. Most likely will never appear in a game, but if needed could be like the ace up the sleeve sort of thing.

Many times they'll hold their own sort of 7 game (or modified) series and crown their own little champion. Coaches can even get in on the scrimmages to help fill the rosters.

Minny is just the type of team you don't want in the first round; a really talented, veteran team that took a while to gel with new additions, underachieved most of the year, and is probably a lot better than its record suggests. I'm not particularly worried, but I remember when the PT "curse" was alive and well, and am still smarting from the Hawks ouster in the early '90s. Its silly, I know, but I think I'd prefer this to be a 2-7 matchup than a 1-8.

I can't say I'd rather face Detroit than Minnesota. Columbus would have been the pick here. Don't really want to face Datsyuk and Zetterberg in a series, and Howard's better than Backstrom. Minnesota doesn't have a lot of firepower. I don't know what Minnesota does really well that should be a threat here.

Nothing's guaranteed, but I'd rather take my chances with Minnesota. If the Hawks play to potential they beat them, so there's really no excuses here.

It's tough - West playoff matchups are really good, there's not a lot of teams I want to face anywhere in there.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 5h

Not official yet, but hearing playoff Game 1 for Blackhawks-Wild is Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. at UC

8:30? That's gonna be a late night. I'm so ready for these playoffs to start though.