2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
The Penguins need to calm the f*** down with their emotions. Game 1 reminded me of the end of last year's Flyers series, and that did not end well for Pittsburgh. Get back to what you are good at.

Or not. I'd much prefer they lose to Boston.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
The Penguins need to calm the f*** down with their emotions. Game 1 reminded me of the end of last year's Flyers series, and that did not end well for Pittsburgh. Get back to what you are good at.

Which is exactly what Boston wants.

There are already some rave reviews and scouting reports out there on this kid

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...,0,165338.story

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Finnish goalie Antti Raanta to a one-year deal.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed Monday.

Raanta, 24, earned a 21-10-11 record last season with Assat Pori of SM-liiga in Finland.

The Rauma, Finland, native was named to the league’s All-Star team, and was honored as the best goaltender, as well as the Most Valuable Player of the regular season and playoffs.

Raanta led the league in goals-against average and save percentage, and ranked fifth in shutouts, while leading his team to the 2013 SM-liiga championship.

Raanta has registered a 48-27-16 record over five seasons with Lukko Rauma and Assat Pori of SM-liiga from 2007 to 2012.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Yup. LA tried to do it at the end of this last game. The key is to play to the whistle then stop.

After the Detroit series, not to mention Vancouver and Phoenix the last few years, I think the Hawks get how to play against these teams.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Sounds like the Jon Quick of Finland, nice.

Interesting, since Quick has never led the league in save percentage or goals against average. Sigh.

That said, nice signing as you can never have enough goaltending in your organization. That said, I'm finally on board with Crawford. After that Detroit series, his confidence is at an all-time high. Diving out to challenge that weird deflection off the glass over the weekend was goalie balls xINFINITY.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Interesting, since Quick has never led the league in save percentage or goals against average. Sigh.

That said, nice signing as you can never have enough goaltending in your organization. That said, I'm finally on board with Crawford. After that Detroit series, his confidence is at an all-time high. Diving out to challenge that weird deflection off the glass over the weekend was goalie balls xINFINITY.

MVP of the playoffs? :huh

Los Angeles Mayor’s Office

Dear Mayor Emanuel,

On Saturday, I received a letter regarding the 2013 NHL Western Conference Championship between the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, and whatever team it is that they will out-skate, out-hustle and out-score on the way to a repeat appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals.

When I saw it was from you, I said to myself, “Geez, I hope he didn’t send me a dead fish.”

But being Mayor of Chicago, the third biggest city in America, seems to have calmed you down, so instead of a fish or some other recently deceased animal, I found a list of items you will be sending me when the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, win the 2013 NHL Western Conference Championship. Thanks! I didn’t know you were a Kings fan!

Speaking of hockey, I was recently surprised to learn that Chicago has a professional ice hockey team. Who knew? Has this team been in Chicago long? Do they practice out on Lake Michigan when it freezes over in those famously cold and windy winters of yours?

Since I appreciated your gesture so much, I wanted to reciprocate. So in the extremely unlikely case that the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL champions, were to lose to the other team -- I really wish I could remember the name of the team the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, are playing – I will send you the following:

9 #19 Pastrami Sandwiches from Langer's Deli

9 French Dip Sandwiches from Phillipe the Original

For the sandwiches, one case of Morehouse Mustard, the official mustard of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Speaking of baseball, when was the last time the Cubs were in the World Series?

One case of beer each from our very own Golden Road and Eagle Rock Breweries.

3 Hollenbeck Burritos from El Tepeyac Cafe, weighing in at five pounds each.

12 bottles of Sriracha Chili Suace

And to ensure that you maintain your newfound inner peace, one copy of YogaWorks for Everybody DVD.

Also, once the Stanley Cup Finals start, you’re more than welcome to come out to LA to watch the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, play for the Cup. Seriously, if I had known you were such a Kings fan, I would have invited you earlier. I can always get great seats!

Yours truly,

Antonio

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)
Are you all still so sure that the Hawks would be better served facing the Bruins? That Pittsburgh D is a sieve.

I haven't had a chance to watch a minute of that series, but I am shocked by the level of domination suggested by the combined 9-1 scores after two games in Pitt. Nobody could have predicted that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
They are starting Vokoun

Fleury replaced Vokoun late in the 1st last night, and proceeded to give up a goal on the first shot he faced. I don't know who starts game 3, but it's still crazy that the guy who made the diving Cup-winning save in game 7 vs. DET has been absolutely worthless his last two playoff series.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
Los Angeles Mayor’s Office

Dear Mayor Emanuel,

On Saturday, I received a letter regarding the 2013 NHL Western Conference Championship between the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, and whatever team it is that they will out-skate, out-hustle and out-score on the way to a repeat appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals.

When I saw it was from you, I said to myself, “Geez, I hope he didn’t send me a dead fish.”

But being Mayor of Chicago, the third biggest city in America, seems to have calmed you down, so instead of a fish or some other recently deceased animal, I found a list of items you will be sending me when the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, win the 2013 NHL Western Conference Championship. Thanks! I didn’t know you were a Kings fan!

Speaking of hockey, I was recently surprised to learn that Chicago has a professional ice hockey team. Who knew? Has this team been in Chicago long? Do they practice out on Lake Michigan when it freezes over in those famously cold and windy winters of yours?

Since I appreciated your gesture so much, I wanted to reciprocate. So in the extremely unlikely case that the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL champions, were to lose to the other team -- I really wish I could remember the name of the team the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, are playing – I will send you the following:

9 #19 Pastrami Sandwiches from Langer's Deli

9 French Dip Sandwiches from Phillipe the Original

For the sandwiches, one case of Morehouse Mustard, the official mustard of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Speaking of baseball, when was the last time the Cubs were in the World Series?

One case of beer each from our very own Golden Road and Eagle Rock Breweries.

3 Hollenbeck Burritos from El Tepeyac Cafe, weighing in at five pounds each.

12 bottles of Sriracha Chili Suace

And to ensure that you maintain your newfound inner peace, one copy of YogaWorks for Everybody DVD.

Also, once the Stanley Cup Finals start, you’re more than welcome to come out to LA to watch the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning NHL Champions, play for the Cup. Seriously, if I had known you were such a Kings fan, I would have invited you earlier. I can always get great seats!

Yours truly,

Antonio

Are the Mayoral bets always this dickish?

Mayor Villaraigosa,

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the athletic bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the nation’s hockey fans, the separate and equal station to which the National Hockey League entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation, namely the desire to claim ownership of Lord Stanley’s Cup —

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that while all men and women are created equal, all hockey teams are not, and that the Chicago Blackhawks are endowed with certain unalienable skills; that among these are outstanding defensive play, crisp passing, sharp shooting, tremendous goalkeeping, an intensity that is rivaled in neither the East nor the West, masterful coaching and a rightful place as the 2013 NHL Western Conference Champions (and ultimately 2013 Stanley Cup Champions), —

That to secure this championship, much deserved, the Playoffs are instituted among the Teams, deriving their just powers from the consent of the League, —

That whenever any Other Team becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People of Chicago and the Chicago Blackhawks to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new Western Conference Champion, and to do so with four victories achieved in no more than seven tries, laying its foundation on such principles as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Rejoicing on Madison Avenue in the City of Chicago, —

In every stage of these Playoffs our Blackhawks have advanced in the most humble fashion: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury by your Kings. Kings, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, are unfit to be the champion of the NHL, and should be relegated to “Ye Olde Sin Bin.”.

I, therefore, the Representative of the People of Chicago, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions (in this case NHL commissioner Gary Bettman), do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of this fair City of Big Shoulders, solemnly publish and declare that we will offer the following bounty, payable only if your Kings find way to defeat our Blackhawks in the forthcoming best-of-seven series that will commence today.

We will offer:

• 25 Italian beef sandwiches from Al’s Italian Beef

• 3 Cases of Goose Island’s 312 Lager beer

• One case of Robinson's Ribs Barbecue Sauce, containing the flavors Original, Brown Sugar and Hot.

• 25 Slices of Eli's Cheesecake -- a "hat trick" of Original, Strawberry, and Chocolate Chip flavors.

• One copy of The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America’s Great Migration, for you to read in your forthcoming retirement.

And for the support of this Declaration, we pledge our skates; our sticks; our Blackhawks.

We humbly request your response at your earliest convenience.

Rahm

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2813773:date=Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:01 AM:name=RockRaines)-->
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
<!--quotec-->They are starting Vokoun

Fleury replaced Vokoun late in the 1st last night, and proceeded to give up a goal on the first shot he faced. I don't know who starts game 3, but it's still crazy that the guy who made the diving Cup-winning save in game 7 vs. DET has been absolutely worthless his last two playoff series.

Fleury's never been a stud - he's just a guy.

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1h

Kings lines: Williams-Kopitar-Brown; Penner-Carter-Toffoli; King-Stoll-Lewis; Clifford-Fraser-Richardson.

Kings D pairs: Regehr-Doughty, Scuderi-Voynov, Muzzin-Greene. Appears Martinez, who played in Game 2 for Muzzin, is out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1h

Kings lines: Williams-Kopitar-Brown; Penner-Carter-Toffoli; King-Stoll-Lewis; Clifford-Fraser-Richardson.

Kings D pairs: Regehr-Doughty, Scuderi-Voynov, Muzzin-Greene. Appears Martinez, who played in Game 2 for Muzzin, is out.

That Bolland hit on Richards is looming large...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
True, but in the playoffs he's not even just a guy anymore, he's like a statue. He's been fine during the regular season.

Eh - regular season he was decidedly middle of the pack in save percentage. Bottom tier playoff goalie supported by monster offense.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Eh - regular season he was decidedly middle of the pack in save percentage. Bottom tier playoff goalie supported by monster offense.

You're basically correct in what you've said, but the one time he was f***ing unreal was 07-08 playoffs (lost to Wings).