2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Good point. If he had a big boobed blonde with bottles of alcohol talking for the other side, he might be there forever.

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc

#Blackhawks' Kane pointed out Paris is 2 hours from Switzerland and kiddingly said he's looking forward to "romantic nights" in Paris.

That was an awesome home game against the Sharks on Saturday night. It's good to see Hossa out there playing so well. I told you all that Michal Rozsíval was a better-than-advertised defender, and decent at starting the break.

I'm a little concerned about that hit Seabs' took, but Q said he's day-to-day after the game.

Go Hawks!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
That was an awesome home game against the Sharks on Saturday night. It's good to see Hossa out there playing so well. I told you all that Michal Rozsíval was a better-than-advertised defender, and decent at starting the break.

I'm a little concerned about that hit Seabs' took, but Q said he's day-to-day after the game.

Go Hawks!

Upper body injury.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

Go Hawks!

Well played.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Winter Classic: canceled

IMO, Season: cancelled

I just spent 45 minutes watching youtube videos of highlights and partial games at the Chicago Stadium. I'd do anything to be able to see just one more game there.

Remember The Roar.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
IcePigs looked a lot like crap last night.

It was their worst game of the season by far. Sloppy.

Kyle Beach won AHL Player of the Week honors yesterday. He's been on fire the last few games, looking very comfortable and back from his shoulder injury. This is a big time make-or-break season for him. He was playing very well in Rockford last year before getting injured. The world would have no clue who Andrew Shaw was if it wasn't for that injury.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
Toews is just NOW feeling recovered from his last concussion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...0,4958451.story

Why is it that hockey concussions tend to be way more severe than NFL concussions? Or is the NFL just way more lenient on when a player can come back?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Why is it that hockey concussions tend to be way more severe than NFL concussions? Or is the NFL just way more lenient on when a player can come back?

Helmets are a piece of plastic with a little foam. They really don't offer any protection unless you get the good ones. The problem with the good ones is that they are heavy and the pros don't like em.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Helmets are a piece of plastic with a little foam. They really don't offer any protection unless you get the good ones. The problem with the good ones is that they are heavy and the pros don't like em.

That and the players never wear the helmets properly. The chin strap always dangles, meaning the helmet just moves around and doesn't protect as it was designed.

chicago_u_toews_200.jpg

Compare to NCAA where they have a padded chin, and cage.

160210.jpg

If the NHL wanted to actually show they cared about concussions, they'd switch to a cage style face mask.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Purely my opinion here, but when the players union hired Donald Fehr, I gave up on the hockey season.

I agree. Fehr strictly cares about his clients getting what the want, not about the sport of hockey, which does not bode well for the season to happen.

All of the owners are rich anyway, and some of them apparently lose money during the hockey season, so none of them are in a rush to start the season.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
People who know more about Hockey than me: Do you think we'll have a season, or not?

My guess is no, but your guess is as good as mine.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)

Simple, you have boards and glass (and ice compared to grass), and guys are moving much faster while skating than running.

Also, cages don't really make a difference on concussions, mainly face injuries. Concussions are caused by the brain hitting the skull.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Also, cages don't really make a difference on concussions, mainly face injuries. Concussions are caused by the brain hitting the skull.

Of course. I will resist the urge to make a really smart-ass comment based on the way you worded the bolded. ;) my point was the cage/chin guard keeps the helmet in place.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Of course. I will resist the urge to make a really smart-ass comment based on the way you worded the bolded. ;) my point was the cage/chin guard keeps the helmet in place.

Smart ass away haha...it's just the point that face masks don't do much for concussions. Sure it helps keep it in place, but it's the violence of the hits that cause the concussions.