2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the lack of the NHL, I was still able to get a little taste of hockey the other night. Went to the Minnesota vs. Nebraska-Omaha game on Saturday. The Gophers have this kid who was drafted by the Panthers in the first round in 2010 (Nick Bjugstad), man is he a big boy.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
With the lack of the NHL, I was still able to get a little taste of hockey the other night. Went to the Minnesota vs. Nebraska-Omaha game on Saturday. The Gophers have this kid who was drafted by the Panthers in the first round in 2010 (Nick Bjugstad), man is he a big boy.

I've been DVRing college games the past month, I just wish there was more of it broadcasted.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
So a group of players are meeting with several owners today without Fehr or Bettman around. Today might be the day to make some progress or see you in fall 2013. Even Crosby has been talking about signing in Europe.

Yesterday's meeting went into the night and players sound a bit optimistic, not to get anyone's hopes up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:34 AM)
Yesterday's meeting went into the night and players sound a bit optimistic, not to get anyone's hopes up.

Something positive, but hard to be optimistic about anything.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 07:34 AM)
That doubleheader at Soldier Field could be fun, although it will be super f***ing cold in mid-February.

Yeah, I'll be there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
I've been DVRing college games the past month, I just wish there was more of it broadcasted.

Yeah, there's not much. Big Ten Network and and NBC Sports has some. I probably get a little more than you guys, because Fox Sports North has a fair amount of Minnesota games, as well as Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota State. If you have DirecTV and happen to have the most expensive tier, you get FSN and can watch those games (only pro games are blacked out).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
What the f*** happened today? That's it, I am finally done following these negotiations. I'll be back when there is a season, either this January or next fall.

Straight backwards. f***ing idiots, all of them. Shame on us for having a hint of optimism.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
I read on twitter that the offer was presented take it or leave it, and Fehr tried to negotiate off of it and everything went downhill from there

If it wasn't for Fehr, I think there would be hockey now, because the players would have caved.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
If it wasn't for Fehr, I think there would be hockey now, because the players would have caved.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think it would have been better for the players, or the game, but they would have been playing by now. Fehr was brought in for one reason, and one reason only, to stop the bleeding for the players union. I gave up on a season when he was brought in.

Maybe, but for the players to accept another bad deal doesn't do them any good. Owners had to come way off. They "fixed" everything last time, the players took a terrible deal, owners throw around more money, then expect to just fix it by taking it all from the players again. Two way street here. To throw it on Fehr isn't fair. Owners got themselves into this mess, they need to compromise to get out of it.

I'm more with the players than I am the owners, though both are ridiculously stupid at this point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
Maybe, but for the players to accept another bad deal doesn't do them any good. Owners had to come way off. They "fixed" everything last time, the players took a terrible deal, owners throw around more money, then expect to just fix it by taking it all from the players again. Two way street here. To throw it on Fehr isn't fair. Owners got themselves into this mess, they need to compromise to get out of it.

I'm more with the players than I am the owners, though both are ridiculously stupid at this point.

I agree completely, I should probably clarify my earlier post. If it wasn't for Fehr, the players would have said "f*** it, let's just play some hockey" and the owners would have won. I'm not making Fehr the scapegoat, he's the reason the players are still fighting the owners for what's right. Better for the players & the sport in the long term, but sucks for the fans right now.

But yeah, especially after the shenanigans of yesterday, both sides look like clowns.

I haven't followed this closely enough to even know what the points of contention are. Who is RIGHT in this deal?

I have always had the sense that hockey isn't making enough money for the players to get paid the way they do.