2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
I haven't followed this closely enough to even know what the points of contention are. Who is RIGHT in this deal?

I have always had the sense that hockey isn't making enough money for the players to get paid the way they do.

Neither. Seriously. Neither.

They are paid fine, NHL was doing quite well in revenue over the past 7 years (not all teams, but the league overall was making a lot). The issue is on how to break up the large pie (HRR), contract lengths, make whole provision, on and on and on.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
If it wasn't for Fehr, I think there would be hockey now, because the players would have caved.

Fehr has no interest in a deal................he has always loved the attention and spotlight.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
I don't know how a major sport organization has two lost seasons so close to one another.

The implication therefore is that they're no longer a major sports organization. And I'm not sure I can disagree.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
NHL was just coming back from the last time they pulled this s***.. you'd think they would learn by now only way they stay relevant is to be playing..

Sadly, the lesson they probably learned is that it's easier to come back from that lockout than they thought, since they were doing better than beforehand, overall.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
Jesse Spector@jessespector Happy anniversary! RT @TSNResearch: 20 years ago today. NHL Governors named Gary Bettman as the first NHL Commissioner in league history.

"I want you to remember me just as I am right now, filled with murderous rage. "

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Bettman has to be the worst commissioner in sports, right?

hard to argue for a guy that has lost 2 1/2 seasons(most likely 3) in 20 years. He has also led an overexpansion of the league that has really hurt the overall profitability of the league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
I'm going to go ask a Mr. Vilma about this, and I'll get you a statement from his attorney.

If there is a ladder of Commissioner bad, Goodell is on the first floor, and Bettman is cleaning the skydeck of the Sears tower. So Goodell pissed off a linebacker, who cares. Bettman has lost 2 1/2 seasons.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
What's wrong with Selig besides that All-Star game awhile back and maybe the disaster in Miami?

Power Rankings:

1. Selig

2. Goodell

3. Stern

4. Bettman

Tetrahydrogestrinone taking the most hallowed record in sports.