2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
What's wrong with Selig besides that All-Star game awhile back and maybe the disaster in Miami?

Power Rankings:

1. Selig

2. Goodell

3. Stern

4. Bettman

Goodell

Stern

Selig

Bettman

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc

According to a source, #Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa has been medically cleared by team following recovery from concussion.

Cleared to not play NHL hockey since it doesn't exist.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Who cares, Bettman is three thousand times worse than any. I wish the fans just wouldn't come back this time, but we will. We're suckers. Losing two seasons in one decade is a f***ing joke.

IMO anyone who pays to go to an NHL game for at least one season after they decide to come back is proving their point that NHL fans are suckers and will take any abuse and come back happily. If you're griping about this as a fan, it's on you to make them pay for it this time. Enough is enough.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
IMO anyone who pays to go to an NHL game for at least one season after they decide to come back is proving their point that NHL fans are suckers and will take any abuse and come back happily. If you're griping about this as a fan, it's on you to make them pay for it this time. Enough is enough.

Agreed.

But that indian head sweater gives me heart palpitations.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
Agreed.

But that indian head sweater gives me heart palpitations.

I read a lot about this every day, especially on the fan side. This one's different. There are people that are changing their ways - a lot of them will watch their own team, but not go to as many games live. Not buying more merch. Not going to buy Center Ice. Not watching every playoff game. Sure, it's only one person in each example, but the sentiment is certainly out there.

In Chicago, there are enough idiots who love the goal song that the building will fill regardless. Other markets won't be so lucky.

To me, it's about whatever makes you comfortable as a fan. In theory, we should all stay away forever from this garbage, but we all know we can't. But there are various levels of "rebelling," for lack of a better term.

I've tried to figure out what my plan of action is when (if?) they ever come back, because this has hurt me to the core. One man will not make a change in the NHL, so I just have to do what I'm comfortable with.

The ultimate would be if fans could organize a boycott of the team's first home game. Instead of a welcome back, they can send the players & owners a message. Not sure how feasible that would be though.

Other than that though, I'll admit, I'm a sucker, I'll keep going to games. NHL hockey & the Blackhawks are enjoyable, what am I gonna do watch the Wolves? Plus, if I skip this season, I'll have to start from square one in regards to our season tickets, no thanks. In honesty, it's not like this lockout affected me personally, and it saved me a few hundred bucks.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

E. all of the above.

8. True or False: Nobody – NOBODY – is more disappointed to cancel all these games than Gary Bettman.

(a) Haha.

(b) Hahaha.

© Hahahaha.

(d) False.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
After the baseball strike of 1994 I didn't go to a game for 3 years. I can make it at least that long for hockey.

That's how long I sat out, too.

I don't know how long I'll skip the Hawks, but I can guarantee it'll be more than one season.

The thing about hurting the attendance, etc is it may just kill the sport once and for all. I am no fan on the league and owners, but I love my team and more importantly I love the sport and want it to grow. I'm afraid that if we get indignant about how important the league has been managed, the sport will fall to obscurity forever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Goodell

Stern

Selig

Bettman

And I totally agree with this ^^^^^

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 01:08 AM)
0 days. But I was more understanding of the last one, if that makes any sense.

The last one was a necessity for the survivial of the game one could say. This is just a major clusterf*** while the game seems to be thriving.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...0,2609730.story

Sports Xchange

10:14 p.m. CST, December 16, 2012

NHL players began voting on Sunday on whether to proceed toward a dissolution of the players union, the New York Times reported Sunday.

According to the report, the electronic voting will continue until Thursday, with the players deciding whether to give the NHL Players Association executive board the authority to file a disclaimer of interest.

If the board gets that authority, it would have until Jan. 2 to file a disclaimer of interest. If the board files a disclaimer of interest, it would have the practical effect of decertifying the players union, which would in turn allow players to file antitrust suits against the NHL.

A two-thirds majority is required to give the 30-member board the authority to dissolve the union.

After learning of the vote several days ago, the NHL filed a suit in an attempt to confirm the legality of the lockout. The league also filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board, claiming the players' vote creates bad-faith bargaining.

Last year, when the NBA was experiencing a lockout, NBA players decertified its union with a disclaimer of interest on Nov. 14, and 12 days later an agreement was reached with the league.

The NHL players union and the league can continue to negotiate while the legal maneuvering continues, although no new talks have been scheduled as of Sunday evening.

It is believed that a settlement needs to be reached soon to avoid having the entire NHL season canceled.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc

According to a source, #Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa has been medically cleared by team following recovery from concussion.

So I just read that injured players get paid during the lockout, so up until they medically cleared him, Hossa was getting paid. Suddenly the checks stopped. Whammy.

The NHL is slowly killing itself.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock...article6500907/

Following the interviews – in the case of hockey, 1,066 people were surveyed – computer programs produce emotional maps called the “emotisphere” that illustrates the good feelings and bad feelings concerning a product.

The maps are divided, pie-like, into eight colour zones – red (fun), yellow (interest), orange (inspirational), brown (knowledgeable), green (trustworthiness), grey (satisfaction), blue (nurturing) and purple (friendliness) – and the farther a core emotion drifts from the centre the greater the concern.

A near-perfect emotisphere would be the Walt Disney Co. brand, the centre almost entirely red and yellow, the only outer concern a slight boredom even among those who generally like and admire Disney.

A disastrous map would be the one Level5 created following the BP PLC oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. It was the worst the company had seen – until it got around to the NHL this month.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
They need to just get there already.

Yup, I'm there. As much as no season would suck, it would get rid of my ever-so-small optimism that they'll figure it out and we can have hockey. Just f***ing rip the band-aid off and let me stop worrying about it every day.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Yup, I'm there. As much as no season would suck, it would get rid of my ever-so-small optimism that they'll figure it out and we can have hockey. Just f***ing rip the band-aid off and let me stop worrying about it every day.

Agreed. We all know it's not gonna happen, so just get the nonsense over with and cancel the whole thing so we can move on with our lives.