2012-2013 Official NHL thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
It's not that big of a deal. It sucks and is inconvenient and hockey is the only major sport that doesn't put their championship on broadcast television. I just found some of the comments in this thread about people not being REAL fans if they don't have cable package XYZ funny.

If you don't have a cable package whatsoever (most sports games are on there), and are relying on every championship game being on network TV so you can watch them and they'll be the only games you watch all year, then no, you aren't exactly a real hockey fan.

I don't suddenly consider myself an NBA fan because I tuned into a few minutes of Heat/Spurs the other night, or some of the Bulls games earlier.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
If you don't have a cable package whatsoever (most sports games are on there), and are relying on every championship game being on network TV so you can watch them and they'll be the only games you watch all year, then no, you aren't exactly a real hockey fan.

I haven't claimed to be anything other than a casual fan. Whether that makes me a "real" or "fake" fan, I don't care. They're not going to build my interest further if I can't watch them, though. These arguments sound like stuff from the old bill wirtz era.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
If the whole series was on there, I'd agree. But, I get why they are doing this, what deal they have here, and that this has been the precedent for years.

I think the assumed effect of 2 games on NBCSN is greatly exaggerated. People will watch these games if they want to find them. The ratings will still be through the roof, not absolutely plummet in 2 and 3.

It's still hilarious that NOW this is an issue for some people. The past 2 rounds, outside a few games, have been NBCSN. It goes back to my last post, where it's for the sake of tuning into the championship series, that makes it an issue for those types of people.

FWIW, I consider myself a pretty big fan of hockey (I was a ST holder for the B-N independent team) and a big fan of the Blackhawks (I know what "Dollar Bill" means and watched [away] games on TV since I was a little boy, etc.) and still have been irritated that they put these games on NBCSN.

I am also happy for my dissatisfaction about this to result in the NBCSN being more affordable, more widely distributed, etc. If it turns into a hockey channel, I'm perfectly okay with that so long as it is easier to get. For now, I'm pissed that I get stuck with the fuzzy, SD version of games 2 and 3 despite unloading ungodly amounts of money for my cable package and having bought NHL's streaming services for the regular season when I'm away from home.

I might have to HDMI my laptop into the TV and stream it in HD, but that's a whole lot of bulls*** to see something that I sincerely believe should be a big deal for everybody. I like how big hockey is to some Chicagoans, but I think the sport could get huge -- but for most folks it's something that has been taking up space on Sportscenter yet never appears on the TV channels they normally watch.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
I haven't claimed to be anything other than a casual fan. Whether that makes me a "real" or "fake" fan, I don't care. They're not going to build my interest further if I can't watch them, though. These arguments sound like stuff from the old bill wirtz era.

Damn, NHL just lost tons of future die-hard fans because they put TWO games on a channel that is IMPOSSIBLE to find and NO ONE has when those people wanted to watch their first games of the year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
I like how big hockey is to some Chicagoans, but I think the sport could get huge -- but for most folks it's something that has been taking up space on Sportscenter yet never appears on the TV channels they normally watch.

No it hasn't!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Damn, NHL just lost tons of future die-hard fans because they put TWO games on a channel that is IMPOSSIBLE to find and NO ONE has when those people wanted to watch their first games of the year.

Probably not, it is more likely since they already alienated those people by making a huge portion of the other playoff games unwatchable for the same reasons.

I think getting games on ESPN would be huge, as then ESPN would be forced to push the hell out of it and make people (maybe, you know, kids that don't have solidified sporting preferences) begin to care more about it. If NBCSN can get viewers from fans of all sports, that can help as well...even though I don't get real energized to watch the cycling and racing BS they're pushing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
FWIW, I consider myself a pretty big fan of hockey (I was a ST holder for the B-N independent team) and a big fan of the Blackhawks (I know what "Dollar Bill" means and watched [away] games on TV since I was a little boy, etc.) and still have been irritated that they put these games on NBCSN.

I am also happy for my dissatisfaction about this to result in the NBCSN being more affordable, more widely distributed, etc. If it turns into a hockey channel, I'm perfectly okay with that so long as it is easier to get. For now, I'm pissed that I get stuck with the fuzzy, SD version of games 2 and 3 despite unloading ungodly amounts of money for my cable package and having bought NHL's streaming services for the regular season when I'm away from home.

I might have to HDMI my laptop into the TV and stream it in HD, but that's a whole lot of bulls*** to see something that I sincerely believe should be a big deal for everybody. I like how big hockey is to some Chicagoans, but I think the sport could get huge -- but for most folks it's something that has been taking up space on Sportscenter yet never appears on the TV channels they normally watch.

I'm sure NBCSN will become more affordable and more available, very quickly. I mean it's basically still the same channel that was OLN, then Versus...and back then I believe it was really slim as far as availability.

It's basically already a hockey channel - they really get #1 billing and do great work there, as Steve mentioned.

It's the whole ESPN argument again - NHL had to figure out a way to start somewhere after the lockout and ESPN went with other sports.

Would I rather have every game on NBC? Sure. I just don't think it's THAT big of a deal that 2 games are on a cable channel that is relatively pretty damn available and has been broadcasting games all year and for 3 rounds of the playoffs (2 of them exclusively).

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Probably not, it is more likely since they already alienated those people by making a huge portion of the other playoff games unwatchable for the same reasons.

I think getting games on ESPN would be huge, as then ESPN would be forced to push the hell out of it and make people (maybe, you know, kids that don't have solidified sporting preferences) begin to care more about it. If NBCSN can get viewers from fans of all sports, that can help as well...even though I don't get real energized to watch the cycling and racing BS they're pushing.

1) How are games "unwatchable?" That's ridiculous. EVERY playoff game has been on TV somewhere.

2) We've discussed ESPN. They had (and possibly still have) no interest in the NHL for years. If the worst thing that happens is the NHL isn't on ESPN, I'm fine with that. ESPN, outside a few shows, has gone down the s***ter and it would never, ever be above the NBA, NFL Live, etc.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Exactly.

I wish they'd play the games in my backyard, because that'd be convenient, but alas I will figure out a way to watch NBC and/or NBCSN. It's not hard.

The problem is there are plenty of people who can't afford or won't purchase an upgraded channel package just to get hockey games. Yes, diehard fans will but not us.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)

unwatchable available via a spectacular, network-level broadcast in almost as many homes as the NBA does when games are on TNT, while also making games freely available via a smartphone/tablet app

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
The problem is there are plenty of people who can't afford or won't purchase an upgraded channel package just to get hockey games. Yes, diehard fans will but not us.

It comes on packages with a lot of other sports channels.

Please tell me where all the games, all season, should be broadcasted? And what options the NHL turned down instead?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)

C'est la vie.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
The Super Bowl most definitely attracts viewers who do not otherwise watch sports on cable. The World Series still gets a handful, but not nearly as many as they used to. I don't know a single person who is watching the NBA or NHL finals but isn't interested enough in sports to get channels like CSN or NBCSN. You could stick a couple of the NBA Finals games on ESPN and it probably wouldn't matter a whole lot.

A lot more people will stumble onto and watch the NBA playoffs then NHL playoffs given the channel placement.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Would the NFL be the dominant force it is if 90+% of its games weren't on network television, with every local game being available OTA?

People like football more than hockey, obviously.

Gambling & fantasy football is a HUGE reason why.

And it's a 16 day-a-year hobby. 48 hours. It's much easier for people to be a football fan than it is NHL/NBA, or 162 games for baseball.

You also can't broadcast every NHL game on a network television channel because it's more than essentially one day a week for 17 weeks.

BTW, I'm curious, do people go crazy when NFL games on NFL Network?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
A lot more people will stumble onto and watch the NBA playoffs then NHL playoffs given the channel placement.

You do realize the Stanley Cup Final will be on NBC for 5 games, right?

Also, the NBA Finals have LeBron James. It's pointless to compare.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)

Except I b****ed about it during the rest of the playoffs too. Its pathetic.