2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
No, the only people who should ever watch the Blackhawks are people who watch every single game. Casual fans generate zero revenue for sports teams.

If only die hard fans watched, modern sports watching and fandom wouldn't exist cause the leagues wouldn't exist or would be really really s***ty cause the best talent would be elsewhere.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
I said I don't care about b****ing to my cable provider. I'm happy with my service. I was for once not b****ing about hockey and i blame the league for putting big games on a channel that isn't important. It is one thing when a games in the 1st round are broadcasted on random networks but once you get past that, you should be broadcasting everything on networks which are widely available and known.

Again, alternatives? Sure, it'd be easy for you to flip on espn or espn2 and see every game. But that wasn't an option they turned down.

They made one of the best moves they could make at the time. If there are articles that show that they turned down other networks to broadcast these games, I haven't seen them.

They also got EVERY playoff game on TV, something that has never happened in the NHL before last year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
Dude what channel? I can never find the f***ing games.

It's as if there are still people somewhere who channel flip and don't have the capability to search within their cable box or have a magical guide.

Also, never, ever google it.

Also, good God, you bunch of whiners! You CAN watch this s*** on your PC without authenticating. Whoever went through authentication had the wrong link.

For the first time ever, the Stanley Cup Final will be streamed live. NBC Sports Live Extra -- the NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets -- will live stream all Stanley Cup Final games. NBC Sports Network games will be live streamed via “TV Everywhere,” the media industry’s effort to make quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms.

For desktops, NBC Sports Live Extra can be accessed at NBCSports.com/liveextra. The NBC Sports Live Extra app for mobile devices and tablets is available at the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and on select Android handset and tablet devices within Google Play.

Stanley Cup Final games airing on:

NBC will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra.

NBC Sports Network will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra, and to the digital platforms of participating cable, satellite, and telco services, via “TV Everywhere.” “TV Everywhere” is available on an authenticated basis to subscribers of participating MVPDs.

Click here for the participating cable/satellite/telco companies offering NBC Sports Live Extra: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/06/...xtra-providers/

The authentication is only to use "TV Everywhere" with your television.

So yeah, you can watch the games for free here. And holy f***, all I had to do was Google it.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
The reason for the two games to be on the NBC Sports Network is not due to NBC's summer lineup of reruns. It's due to NBC smartly putting money in sports and a network that is going to be very huge very soon.

It's as if no one here understands that the NHL and NBC have a partnership. No one gave a F*CK about the NFL Network until it started getting games. Now it's available everywhere.

And as of a few years ago, no NHL games were on any OTA network. Things with the NHL and the TV deal have improved greatly since 05, and about as good as you can hope for after 2 lockouts.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
Man die-hard hockey fans sure do melt down if non-die-hard fans wish they could watch the entirety of the SCF without needing to pay for upgraded cable packages.

But you can watch every game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
It's as if there are still people somewhere who channel flip and don't have the capability to search within their cable box or have a magical guide.

Also, good God, you bunch of whiners! You CAN watch this s*** on your PC without authenticating. Whoever went through authentication had the wrong link.

For the first time ever, the Stanley Cup Final will be streamed live. NBC Sports Live Extra -- the NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets -- will live stream all Stanley Cup Final games. NBC Sports Network games will be live streamed via “TV Everywhere,” the media industry’s effort to make quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms.

For desktops, NBC Sports Live Extra can be accessed at NBCSports.com/liveextra. The NBC Sports Live Extra app for mobile devices and tablets is available at the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and on select Android handset and tablet devices within Google Play.

NBC will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra.

NBC Sports Network will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra, and to the digital platforms of participating cable, satellite, and telco services, via “TV Everywhere.” “TV Everywhere” is available on an authenticated basis to subscribers of participating MVPDs.

Click here for the participating cable/satellite/telco companies offering NBC Sports Live Extra: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/06/...xtra-providers/

So yeah, you can watch the games for free here. And holy f***, all I had to do was Google it.

You've already been told that you have to already have a cable or satellite package to do this. More and more people are "cutting the cord" and dumping cable/satellite. If the NHL thinks the future is in premium-tier sports networks for the fourth-most-popular sport, more power to them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)

The authentication is only to use "TV Everywhere" with your television.

Too much effort, someone from the NHL office has to come to my house and do this for me before I will consider watching their product.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
You've already been told that you have to already have a cable or satellite package to do this. More and more people are "cutting the cord" and dumping cable/satellite. If the NHL thinks the future is in premium-tier sports networks for the fourth-most-popular sport, more power to them.

Way to not read the post. You don't need to be authenticated. That was the whole point of my adding the f***ing post. You only need to be authenticated for "TV Everywhere".

But I digress. We're at this point of the argument due to ignorance, anyway.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
Man die-hard hockey fans sure do melt down if non-die-hard fans wish they could watch the entirety of the SCF without needing to pay for upgraded cable packages.

Man non-die-hard fans go f***ing crazy because a sport they haven't watched all year has 2 games in a series not on NBC.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)

I don't believe most sports fans are doing this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Way to not read the post. You don't need to be authenticated. That was the whole point of my adding the f***ing post. You only need to be authenticated for "TV Everywhere".

But I digress. We're at this point of the argument due to ignorance, anyway.

You didn't read your own links.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/06/...xtra-providers/

Below is a list of participating NBC Sports Live Extra providers:

Cablevision

Comcast Xfinity

DISH

Mediacom

Suddenlink

Verizon FiOS

WOW!

It was the same for the Olympics. Couldn't stream through NBC.com unless you had a cable or satellite package

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Yeah, stupid consumers wanting products to be easily accessible and usable! I hope neither of you guys are in marketing.

I am in marketing, actually. Sometimes marketing doesn't make the important calls, but I'll tell you what, the exposure the network is giving the NHL would be a marketer's dream.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
Haha, okay.

You know who knows it's there? Hockey fans (and other sports fans).

Ok...so I'm a pretty big sports fan. I had absolutely no idea that NBC sports existed until today. Why the hell would I? Outside of the NHL (which I fully admit to not follow regularly until the playoffs and sadly I know more then a lot of people about the NHL; I know whose on what teams, whose doing good, etc, i just don't watch the games), they broadcast C conference college basketball and football games and MLS games. Not exactly anything mainstream?

And the point isn't about hockey fans knowing its there, it is about if business and as a league you are far less likely to get the casual watching that will draw increased ratings and potentially push up advertising.

Note the AND.

TV Everywhere requires authentication. NBC Sports Live Extra does not.

I know this, because my wife got tired on Saturday night. I couldn't utilize the DirecTV app to let her watch my tablet in bed for the overtimes, so I downloaded the NBC Sports Live Extra app. I did NOT authenticate. It worked.

Try it. It will work.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Ok...so I'm a pretty big sports fan. I had absolutely no idea that NBC sports existed until today.

Until today.

Two full rounds of Chicago Blackhawks hockey have been on this channel. It is only a problem today. For two whole games of a 7 game series. Big problem.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
The reason for the two games to be on the NBC Sports Network is not due to NBC's summer lineup of reruns. It's due to NBC smartly putting money in sports and a network that is going to be very huge very soon.

It's as if no one here understands that the NHL and NBC have a partnership. No one gave a F*CK about the NFL Network until it started getting games. Now it's available everywhere.

It'll be huge when it lands some major sports.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
Ok...so I'm a pretty big sports fan. I had absolutely no idea that NBC sports existed until today. Why the hell would I? Outside of the NHL (which I fully admit to not follow regularly until the playoffs and sadly I know more then a lot of people about the NHL; I know whose on what teams, whose doing good, etc, i just don't watch the games), they broadcast C conference college basketball and football games and MLS games. Not exactly anything mainstream?

And the point isn't about hockey fans knowing its there, it is about if business and as a league you are far less likely to get the casual watching that will draw increased ratings and potentially push up advertising.

You knew it existed before today, as you already said you tried to find Detroit/Chicago games. I call bulls*** that you NEVER heard of it. Had you heard of Versus before? Because that's essentially the same channel. The name NBCSN hasn't been around too terribly long, I will give you that.

Anyway, what would you like them to do? Wave a magic wand and have everything on ESPN or Fox?

We get that they don't have the best TV deal of all the major sports. Considering the circumstances, it's pretty damn good, and will only get better.

You said it yourself - where do you expect them to be after 2 lockouts?

I guess it's all relative. After watching games in college on OLN, having your own network that makes hockey #1, shows a s***load of games, every playoff game on TV and games on NBC is a dream scenario right now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
I am in marketing, actually. Sometimes marketing doesn't make the important calls, but I'll tell you what, the exposure the network is giving the NHL would be a marketer's dream.

Great for the network...duh...but for the NHL...not so much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
It'll be huge when it lands some major sports.

Troll much?

Also, Notre Dame football is a pretty big draw. MLB, NFL, and NBA are spoken for - name the next major sport.

It's the one you love to ridicule but then love to b**** about not being able to watch. I'm glad you can't watch games 2 and 3 after a comment like that! :angry:

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
You knew it existed before today, as you already said you tried to find Detroit/Chicago games. I call bulls*** that you NEVER heard of it. Had you heard of Versus before? Because that's essentially the same channel. The name NBCSN hasn't been around too terribly long, I will give you that.

Anyway, what would you like them to do? Wave a magic wand and have everything on ESPN or Fox?

We get that they don't have the best TV deal of all the major sports. Considering the circumstances, it's pretty damn good, and will only get better.

You said it yourself - where do you expect them to be after 2 lockouts?

I guess it's all relative. After watching games in college on OLN, having your own network that makes hockey #1, shows a s***load of games, every playoff game on TV and games on NBC is a dream scenario right now.

I had heard of vs. and I already said in this thread until today I had no idea NBCS was previously versus (and OLN before that). And I found out about NBCsports when I tried to watch one of the Blackhawk games (can't remember if it was game 5 or 6) and couldn't find it. For all I know it was game 7. And i am dead honest that I had never heard of it. Why would I have. I don't watch a lot of regular season games (with exception to the games on NBC from time to time on the weekends or occasional Ducks vs. Blackhawk games that are televised out here).

Steve,

You seem to be missing the point. The NHL has X fans who are diehard who will find the games, who will watch the games regardless. You then have Y fans, who are not diehards, who may want to watch 1 or 2 games, but arent necessarily going to go searching for the content.

It seems ridiculous that the NHL is not trying to at least advise Y fans where they can find NHL playoff games. You know how easy it is for NBC to run a ticker at the bottom or during news to say "If youre looking for the Hawks turn into our sister station NBCS", or do something to let casual fans know "HEY THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN FIND AND MABYE BECOME INTERESTED IN HOCKEY."

I own the stupid channel, when the first Hawks game was on it, I had to go on the internet and type "What channel are the Hawks on."

I would think that the NHL/NBC would want people to already know where the game is.

But hey, Im not a real hockey fan, what do I know?

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
Great for the network...duh...but for the NHL...not so much.

Having NBC tied to your network instead of Outdoor Living and some randomly made up name of Versus is a dream for the NHL. It's not a dream for the 1% of people out there who don't have the channel, refuse to download an app or pull up a webpage, won't go to a friend's house, won't go to a bar, and like to ridicule the sport openly all while b****ing about not being able to see the sport.

Hilarious.