2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Steve,

You seem to be missing the point. The NHL has X fans who are diehard who will find the games, who will watch the games regardless. You then have Y fans, who are not diehards, who may want to watch 1 or 2 games, but arent necessarily going to go searching for the content.

It seems ridiculous that the NHL is not trying to at least advise Y fans where they can find NHL playoff games. You know how easy it is for NBC to run a ticker at the bottom or during news to say "If youre looking for the Hawks turn into our sister station NBCS", or do something to let casual fans know "HEY THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN FIND AND MABYE BECOME INTERESTED IN HOCKEY."

I own the stupid channel, when the first Hawks game was on it, I had to go on the internet and type "What channel are the Hawks on."

I would think that the NHL/NBC would want people to already know where the game is.

But hey, Im not a real hockey fan, what do I know?

But you were smart enough to find it. This isn't a "hockey fans vs non-hockey fans" argument. Everyone just wants to make it that. It's understanding common business that the NHL made the deal they could and networks that are more freely available had no interest. Then mis-information came into the thread about not being able to watch the live stream of hte game which was just downright false.

The games are available in spectacular quality with the best announcing tandem in professional sports. To anyone. Anywhere. There are only two games not OTA, and if you have the internet, you can get them.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I've watched plenty of NBC programming. Whenever they do their national sports updates, they advise which channel the game is on. During the local AND national news, the ticker does say to find the games on NBCSN. During other events, they promote and discuss the channel. During the French Open on Sunday morning, they discussed the game, the schedule, what channels they would be on, and ran it in the ticker.

They did exactly as recommended.

And you still found it through Google. The info is out there. The games are available. I'm done defending a smart business move both by the NHL and NBC because of some ignorant folks who refuse to do more than punch in channel 5 on their remote control.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Also, I've watched plenty of NBC programming. Whenever they do their national sports updates, they advise which channel the game is on. During the local AND national news, the ticker does say to find the games on NBCSN. During other events, they promote and discuss the channel. During the French Open on Sunday morning, they discussed the game, the schedule, what channels they would be on, and ran it in the ticker.

And you still found it through Google. The info is out there. The games are available. I'm done defending a smart business move both by the NHL and NBC because of some ignorant folks who refuse to do more than punch in channel 5 on their remote control.

I'm not being fair. I mean to walk to the tv and twist the dial and adjust the rabbit ears.

tv-old-wood-dials.jpg

Oh I have no problem with it being on NBC Sports. I just believe that NBC/NHL could do a better job of telling people that.

When the BTN started, the Big10 made sure everyone knew what games there were going to be missing if they didnt have BTN months in advance. That gave those people plenty of time to b****/moan/complain which eventually lead to the BTN getting on a lower tier (larger audience.)

I just feel that NHL/NBCS should be advertising more about how you will miss playoff hockey if you dont have NBCS.

I cant complain about the NHL not being on ESPN/ABC/CBS/ etc if those companies werent going to offer a good deal. But the NHL should definitely be doing more with the hand they are dealt.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
Steve,

You seem to be missing the point. The NHL has X fans who are diehard who will find the games, who will watch the games regardless. You then have Y fans, who are not diehards, who may want to watch 1 or 2 games, but arent necessarily going to go searching for the content.

It seems ridiculous that the NHL is not trying to at least advise Y fans where they can find NHL playoff games. You know how easy it is for NBC to run a ticker at the bottom or during news to say "If youre looking for the Hawks turn into our sister station NBCS", or do something to let casual fans know "HEY THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN FIND AND MABYE BECOME INTERESTED IN HOCKEY."

I own the stupid channel, when the first Hawks game was on it, I had to go on the internet and type "What channel are the Hawks on."

I would think that the NHL/NBC would want people to already know where the game is.

But hey, Im not a real hockey fan, what do I know?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)

Answered perfectly. They actually do what you think they should be doing, Badger. If you really want to look up where games are. NHL.com, Blackhawks site, etc...plenty of places to find it. Heck I'm pretty sure the NBC 5 news even says what channels the games are on.

They may. Im just saying that if the game is on at 8pm est, it may be beneficial if at the bottom corner of NBC it said "Check out NBCS for Hockey Finals".

And I found the game, I looked it up online. Its not my first sports rodeo, Ive found much more difficult sporting events.

I guess I would just maybe consider it somewhat of a problem. I know hockey fans knew etc, but we are talking regular joe sports fans, and I hate to say it, but NBCS isnt a channel I think about.

And thats the irony, both the NHL and NBCS would greatly gain from having more exposure.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
They may. Im just saying that if the game is on at 8pm est, it may be beneficial if at the bottom corner of NBC it said "Check out NBCS for Hockey Finals".

And I found the game, I looked it up online. Its not my first sports rodeo, Ive found much more difficult sporting events.

I guess I would just maybe consider it somewhat of a problem. I know hockey fans knew etc, but we are talking regular joe sports fans, and I hate to say it, but NBCS isnt a channel I think about.

And thats the irony, both the NHL and NBCS would greatly gain from having more exposure.

You aren't a sports fan Badger.

Comcast began sticking the NBC name on their cable tv properties when they bought NBC in 2010. This is why what was previously OLN and Versus became known as NBC Sports. It was a bit lucky for the NHL that their existing OTA and cable rights holders ended up under the same ownership so they've been able to heavily cross-promote.

IndyCar, which is a lot like the NHL in terms of struggling for viewers and people having trouble finding where they can watch the races on TV, had long-term deals with ABC for the OTA rights and Versus for the cable rights and now that Versus is NBCSN they suffer from not having much cross-promotion between the networks.

The day ABC/ESPN won the NBA rights from NBC was the end of hockey on ESPN. The same network is never going to have the rights to both the NHL and NBA.

Yes, NBCSN is currently on a lower-tier in most cable/satellite packages and is grouped with SPEED and GOLF on the channel guide instead of with ESPN and TNT, but it's in the NHL's best interest in the long term to do what it can to create a higher demand for NBCSN and get it in the same ballpark as ESPN.

Also, I think the universe of people who don't watch enough regular season games to justify having a cable package but are seriously inconvenienced by having two Cup Finals games on cable is very, very small, though it appears that one or two of them are here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
So how about moving past the thread ruining TV talk and start some series predicts?

I plan on dusting off the ol' flapship and posting something today. F*cking work getting in the way of time killing.

Anyway, I say Hawks in 6, but very similar to 2010.

Win 2 at home.

Lose 2 on the road.

Take the last 2. Dance in B-Town.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
So how about moving past the thread ruining TV talk and start some series predicts?

They split the two games in Chicago, then do the same in Boston.

Hawks win the decisive game 5 at home, then win the Cup on the road.

Every time I have had a "bad feeling" about a particular game or series in these playoffs, things have turned out well for the Hawks. Therefore, I am happy to announce my prediction for the Finals is the Bruins in 6. I truly believe this, yet I also believe that I am an idiot.

LET'S GO HAWKS.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
Patrick Kane will get another triple-double and win the game in extra innings with a field goal

I'll give you credit for at least googling the correct spelling of his name before posting.