Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
As I mentioned in the Catch All thread, the Cardinals are in the Youkilis hunt. I hope they get him.

Even with the Beekman injury, the Cardinals are still loaded. Matt Adams at 1st, David Freese at 3rd, Allen Craig getting at bats at 1st. He'll, Berkman's going to be back in July. They need an OF and have zero need for Youkilis.

Was just listening to MLB radio with Jim Bowden and Jeff Joyce.

A caller called in and asked if the Red Sox would take Floyd back and Bowden said something to the effect of "not to be mean, but do you really want Floyd starting in Boston"?

I can understand that perspective because I believe Floyd is a space cadet, but Bowden made it seem as though Floyd has no value whatsoever on the trade market. I have a difficult time believing you throw out the last 4 years of starts for Floyd and only focus on the last 4, but his value is certainly not at its all-time high right now.

If I'm really in on Youkillis, I'm probably going to give them the Feathered Serpent and still wonder if I overpayed...not a huge fan of him considering his injury proneness and his declining defensive skills at third.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
What are the Red Sox looking for? How would the financials work?

Hard to say as long as first and last in that division are divided by 3 games. If they're at te bottom come July, salary relief and young guys. If they stay 2 games back, salary relief and MLB caliber pitching would be a likely guess. They couldnt take on a Peavy contract, but they will want something on an MLB roster that fills a need. Thornton is a plausible match.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
Hard to say as long as first and last in that division are divided by 3 games. If they're at te bottom come July, salary relief and young guys. If they stay 2 games back, salary relief and MLB caliber pitching would be a likely guess. They couldnt take on a Peavy contract, but they will want something on an MLB roster that fills a need. Thornton is a plausible match.

Thornton would be about the limit I'd go. Quintana sliding in to take his place in the pen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)

I think you're probably right...there's no chance Peavy is going anywhere, we know that. Given their need for RP, I am sure they would target Jones and Kenny would laugh at them...and probably counter with Ohman, and it would be their turn to laugh...

To be honest, I really have absolutely no desire to have Youkilis on this team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)

A caller called in and asked if the Red Sox would take Floyd back and Bowden said something to the effect of "not to be mean, but do you really want Floyd starting in Boston"?

I can understand that perspective because I believe Floyd is a space cadet, but Bowden made it seem as though Floyd has no value whatsoever on the trade market. I have a difficult time believing you throw out the last 4 years of starts for Floyd and only focus on the last 4, but his value is certainly not at its all-time high right now.

If I'm really in on Youkillis, I'm probably going to give them the Feathered Serpent and still wonder if I overpayed...not a huge fan of him considering his injury proneness and his declining defensive skills at third.

I think Floyd's a pretty rough match for that ballpark as well since he throws a lot of deep fly balls.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
I think you're probably right...there's no chance Peavy is going anywhere, we know that. Given their need for RP, I am sure they would target Jones and Kenny would laugh at them...and probably counter with Ohman, and it would be their turn to laugh...

To be honest, I really have absolutely no desire to have Youkilis on this team.

I agree! Yay!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I think Floyd's a pretty rough match for that ballpark as well since he throws a lot of deep fly balls.

Yeah, but a lot of them are hit by lefties to right field, where Fenway is plenty big.

No doubt Youklis is a competitor. He will give it his all. But, as stated many times he is injury prone and most likely on his last year or two. You don't trade away major league talent for that commodity. Taking on part of his salary maybe with a A level prospect thrown in, but we have people who can play 3B now so I don't think it is worth it to our Sox to spend money or talent on Youklis.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
No doubt Youklis is a competitor. He will give it his all. But, as stated many times he is injury prone and most likely on his last year or two. You don't trade away major league talent for that commodity. Taking on part of his salary maybe with a A level prospect thrown in, but we have people who can play 3B now so I don't think it is worth it to our Sox to spend money or talent on Youklis.

Boston would be better off holding him if they can't get major league pitching or OF help back for him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)

When the Sox got Floyd from Phillies.............Philly brass felt about Floyd what most of Sox fans feel he is never going to be more than what he is now. Trading Floyd for Youk would not be overpaying to me........Floyd's value decreases every start.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
When the Sox got Floyd from Phillies.............Philly brass felt about Floyd what most of Sox fans feel he is never going to be more than what he is now. Trading Floyd for Youk would not be overpaying to me........Floyd's value decreases every start.

It would be a huge overpay. Why do people think quality starting pitchers are so easy to find? I know how frustrating Floyd can be at times, but he also has stretches of dominance. When you look at his performance in aggregate, he's at least a damn good #4 starter, which is all we need him to be. Plus he's under control for another season at a reasonable price. He's significantly more valuable than Youkilis.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
As I mentioned in the Catch All thread, the Cardinals are in the Youkilis hunt. I hope they get him.

lol why...?

Freese isn't hurt and they have a logjam at OF and 1B.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)

I'm one of Floyd's biggest detractors, but we are entering the time of year he historically becomes quite dominating. He then tends to become mediocre just after the trade deadline. I'd hang on to him at least until around the deadline. Having his current numbers on June 3rd is nothing new.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
It would be a huge overpay. Why do people think quality starting pitchers are so easy to find? I know how frustrating Floyd can be at times, but he also has stretches of dominance. When you look at his performance in aggregate, he's at least a damn good #4 starter, which is all we need him to be. Plus he's under control for another season at a reasonable price. He's significantly more valuable than Youkilis.

If you think Gavin is the definition of a damn good quality starting pitcher you have a very inflated value for give away Gavin. Let someone else whether it be Boston or another sucker deal with the headcase. He would not be missed at all.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
If you think Gavin is the definition of a damn good quality starting pitcher you have a very inflated value for give away Gavin. Let someone else whether it be Boston or another sucker deal with the headcase. He would not be missed at all.

Take a look around baseball and tell me how many rotations include three starters better than Gavin.

Youks batting .314 since coming off the DL, raising his BA from .219 to .253, raising his OBP .032 points to .324, and his OPS .103 points up from .635 to .738.

His back was clearly holding him back, but then again perhaps the same could be said for Brent.

If Brent doesnt come back and perform and Youks still available for Thornton and lower level prospects you do that deal.

IMO adding youk moves the sox from a playoff contender to a WS contender.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787