Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

I don't see any way the Sox would trade Floyd for Youkilis. It seems to me that KW is usually trying to acquire established starting pitching during the season than trade it away. He may trade a young SP, like Hudson or Richard, but even in those deals he received a more established SP in return. I'm sure it has happened, I can't remember, but has KW ever traded one of his top 4 starters during the season.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:50 AM)
I don't see any way the Sox would trade Floyd for Youkilis. It seems to me that KW is usually trying to acquire established starting pitching during the season than trade it away. He may trade a young SP, like Hudson or Richard, but even in those deals he received a more established SP in return. I'm sure it has happened, I can't remember, but has KW ever traded one of his top 4 starters during the season.

From what I'm reading Youkilis can be had for less than Floyd. BoSox want good prospect but are willing to talk depending on how much salary the other team is willing to pick up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:47 AM)
Only way the Sox are getting Youk is if they are willing to take on his entire salary and no other team is offering up a prime prospect.

For what it's worth, John Heyman on the Score just said that Youk can be had for almost nothing in return if a team agrees to take on all or most of his remaining salary and buy out. Heyman indicated that is around $9 million.

Although I like Youkilis, and would have liked to seen him as a White Sox, it doesn't make sense right now. Hudson is doing fine. If the Sox were to trade for Youkilis, what becomes of Hudson?

Hudson is not 'doing fine'. He has a .585 OPS. If Youk can be had on reasonable terms, you get him. What becomes of Hudson is the Sox either keep him as a bench player and demote Escobar, or they DFA Hudson. They have so little money invested in Hudson, it doesn't really matter.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:51 AM)
For what it's worth, John Heyman on the Score just said that Youk can be had for almost nothing in return if a team agrees to take on all or most of his remaining salary and buy out. Heyman indicated that is around $9 million.

I doubt the White Sox have that kind of space.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:51 AM)

Then why don't they just put KY on waivers? See if anyone picks him up. Like we did when we took Rios. I think Boston is greedier than that. We'll see.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
Then why don't they just put KY on waivers? See if anyone picks him up. Like we did when we took Rios. I think Boston is greedier than that. We'll see.

There seems to be a market for the guy, why wouldn't you wait and see if you can do better than nothing?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)

If it's true that he could be had for a bag of baseballs + taking on the contract/buyout then my guess is we'll see him put on waivers after they've exhausted the other options- but if they can get a prospect in return plus a team to take on the $ why not try? My guess is they want to wait until late July and see if teams get more desperate and are willing to pay a higher price. Just speculation however.

Hudson has been a disappointment so far - iffy defense and almost no bat. His most recent double was a lost fly ball, so his numbers are even softer than they look. He's barely an improvement offensively over what Morel was doing, and he's a significant downgrade defensively. Hudson has also made baserunning gaffes.

Morel is hitting the ball hard in rehab in AAA, which is funny because a lot of people felt he needed a trip to AAA regardless of injury, to get his mojo back.

I think when Morel is fully healthy and ready, you give him one more shot - at least a month - to put it together with the bat. If he can do that, and show no ill effects from the back, then you move on with him. If not, then in early July you start looking to see if Youkilis can be had for cheap.

The hard decision is, what do you do when Morel comes back, as far as the roster goes? My inclination is to have Escobar back in AAA getting more regular at-bats. Or, maybe you just release Hudson.

Let's put it this way, Youkalis has been scuffling by his standards this year: .245/.322/.402/.724 with an OPS+ of 95.

But contrast that to the production we're getting at 3B:

Morel: .177/.225/.195/.420, OPS+: 16

Hudson: .184/.295/.289/.585, OPS+: 60

Escobar: .178/.275/.244/.519, OPS+: 43

Even a scuffling Youkalis is an enormous upgrade. And if Youkalis can get healthy enough to replicate his worst, non-rookie season (2006), you'd get .279/.381/.429/.810, OPS+: 106. You're talking about shoring up our only real hole with a guy who in bad years is an all star bat and in good years is a fringe MVP candidate. If the rotation stays healthy, adding Youkalis makes this team a real WS contender.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Let's put it this way, Youkalis has been scuffling by his standards this year: .245/.322/.402/.724 with an OPS+ of 95.

But contrast that to the production we're getting at 3B:

Morel: .177/.225/.195/.420, OPS+: 16

Hudson: .184/.295/.289/.585, OPS+: 60

Escobar: .178/.275/.244/.519, OPS+: 43

Even a scuffling Youkalis is an enormous upgrade. And if Youkalis can get healthy enough to replicate his worst, non-rookie season (2006), you'd get .279/.381/.429/.810, OPS+: 106. You're talking about shoring up our only real hole with a guy who in bad years is an all star bat and in good years is a fringe MVP candidate. If the rotation stays healthy, adding Youkalis makes this team a real WS contender.

And Boston's going to give him up to a team they might meet in the playoffs JUST for salary relief?

It won't be THAT easy. And it's going to take more than just exchanging the Thornton and Youkilis contracts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
And Boston's going to give him up to a team they might meet in the playoffs JUST for salary relief?

It won't be THAT easy. And it's going to take more than just exchanging the Thornton and Youkilis contracts.

I agree. I have a hard time believing they would basically give him to the White Sox for salary relief. Maybe an NL team, but not an AL playoff contender. If Morel isn't healthy or effective and Seattle releases Figgins, I think he'll be the next experiment at 3B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
I agree. I have a hard time believing they would basically give him to the White Sox for salary relief. Maybe an NL team, but not an AL playoff contender. If Morel isn't healthy or effective and Seattle releases Figgins, I think he'll be the next experiment at 3B.

It isn't salary relief as much as cap relief. If they can move the dollars, it frees them up to potentially make a move for pitching.

• 3 weeks later...

Trade talk involving Kevin Youkilis has intensified in the last 24 to 48 hours, according to Major League sources.

The Red Sox have made it clear that the third baseman is available and they are willing to include cash in order to receive a better player in return.

In response, a number of clubs have indicated that they have interest in acquiring the three-time All-Star.

"He's being shopped everywhere," said one high-ranking official with a National League club.

The Diamondbacks, White Sox, Dodgers, Indians and Pirates are among the teams with varying levels of interest in acquiring Youkilis, sources say.

Im sure Kenny is pulling out all his stops to get this guy with the recent offensive struggles & our gaping black hole at 3b.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_arc..._gaining_steam/

Maybe a change of scenery will do Youk some good ( not saying it will be here). A LOT of stuff has gone down in Boston over the past year & maybe a relocation will get him back to his old ways.

There is no doubt the guy can hit the ball. He has that proven track record, but maybe his heart is not in it anymore in Boston?

Edited by Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Maybe a change of scenery will do Youk some good ( not saying it will be here). A LOT of stuff has gone down in Boston over the past year & maybe a relocation will get him back to his old ways.

There is no doubt the guy can hit the ball. He has that proven track record, but maybe his heart is not in it anymore in Boston?

I'd be curious how his back is. He could be a massive waste of money if his back is still acting up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I'd be curious how his back is. He could be a massive waste of money if his back is still acting up.

Well, it sounds like that waste of money will be Boston's problem, they just want him gone so Will Middlebrooks can do his thang without awkwardness.

The guy never manages to play a full season, it's crazy. He may prove worse than Hudson, though he may prove far better. Tough to say really. I have to think Hudson's defense will be better, so Youk better get to swinging that stick like he used to.