Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine informed Kevin Youkilis that he will be "sitting for a while" and Will Middlebrooks will be given the chance to play everyday.

Middlebrooks is on fire over the past couple of days, so the Red Sox can't afford to sit him right now. They also don't want to keep playing Adrian Gonzalez out of position in right field. It's fair to wonder whether we're entering the last days of Youkilis in a Red Sox uniform.

Per Rotoworld.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
We've got plenty of other pressing needs.

I'll be happy when he goes elsewhere.

I'm open to giving it a shot if the cost is miniscule. Shouldn't affect our ability to make any other moves...but seriously, I don't want this team paying out the ass for a starting pitcher right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Agreed. The current players on the team have to play better before the Sox bring in outside "help".

If the "only" cost is the contract and a non-factor player, would it not be worth a crack over Hudson (assuming we only make the deal if we have the money to burn)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
If the "only" cost is the contract and a non-factor player, would it not be worth a crack over Hudson (assuming we only make the deal if we have the money to burn)

He shouldnt cost much at all...even if the Red Sox do eat part of that contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
It's be $7-$8 million to take him on right now.

It is definitely worth considering. I really don't think Kenny is eager to trade away the few trade pieces we have to get a starting pitcher, either.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
It is definitely worth considering. I really don't think Kenny is eager to trade away the few trade pieces we have to get a starting pitcher, either.

Im starting to get the feeling that Simon Castro is his guy. He got promoted today and seems to be on the fast track to the Major Leagues. I believe you have mentioned this earlier as well.

He's a bench player now for the Sawks and has sucked for almost a year. No team will take Youk without Boston assuming a lot of money, and they aren't getting anything very good prospect-wise even with that. I still think if KW wants to do it, with Boston now basically giving him away, I don't think they would be too inclined trading him to an AL playoff contender unless they really have no other options just in case he turns it around.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Im starting to get the feeling that Simon Castro is his guy. He got promoted today and seems to be on the fast track to the Major Leagues. I believe you have mentioned this earlier as well.

I like that at least several publications thought very highly of Simon at one point and it seems that he only lost favor due to a loss of control, which appears to be back. It would be really nice to see him have a more dominant run than he's really had so far this year, just to see that ceiling of his show through.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
I like that at least several publications thought very highly of Simon at one point and it seems that he only lost favor due to a loss of control, which appears to be back. It would be really nice to see him have a more dominant run than he's really had so far this year, just to see that ceiling of his show through.

He's given up a few runs here and there. But nothing concerning like with Nestor Molina. He seems pretty steady.

If the Sox have to give up a legit prospect or take on a decent amount of cash, it would be a worse move than paying a steroid free Manny $4 million for a month. I hope and think if the White Sox really are involved, neither is the case.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
If the Sox have to give up a legit prospect or take on a decent amount of cash, it would be a worse move than paying a steroid free Manny $4 million for a month.

Latest I hear, Sox would be interested if Red Sox would pick up 'most' of the salary.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
I think it's a risky move, but I have a gut feeling that Youk will thrive with the change of scenery. Just my opinion tho.

I disagree, but a lot stranger things have happened. His body is breaking down.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Latest I hear, Sox would be interested if Red Sox would pick up 'most' of the salary.

I don't think there is a team out there where that isn't a requirement. If there is a team that will take his contract and the Red Sox haven't moved him yet, they need a new GM.

Edited by Dick Allen

Have you seen him play recently? He has been just as bad as O-Dawg offensively with no defense and he will probably hit the DL soon. Paying his contract would be absolute idiocy.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:14 PM)
FWIW, Hearing Youk may be coming for prospect and cash. Could go down this weekend.

We're sending out EXTRA cash to bring in Youk? Or am I reading that wrong.