Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

Boston's bullpen is actually pretty good but if they would take Thornton for him I'd make the deal in a heartbeat. Even if Youkilis sucks now. Who cares? Thornton sucks too and I hate looking at him. 95 MPH straight fastball with no movement and no off speed pitches. He also walks people. I have always hated Matt Thornton and now I hate him more.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
Boston's bullpen is actually pretty good but if they would take Thornton for him I'd make the deal in a heartbeat. Even if Youkilis sucks now. Who cares? Thornton sucks too and I hate looking at him. 95 MPH straight fastball with no movement and no off speed pitches. He also walks people. I have always hated Matt Thornton and now I hate him more.

Why? You trade a very good lefty reliever for a broken down 3B man. I don't see the grass being greener with this trade.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Why? You trade a very good lefty reliever for a broken down 3B man. I don't see the grass being greener with this trade.

If we had need of a 1b/DH, I'd be ready and willing to consider Youkilis for Thornton with how the contracts sit. I just don't think his body will take playing 3b. I didn't think so last year when they traded for Gonzalez and moved him back, and now he's just about where you'd expect him to be.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)

He is not a very good lefty reliever anymore. He's fine. Not very good. And not worth what he is being paid.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
He is not a very good lefty reliever anymore. He's fine. Not very good. And not worth what he is being paid.

And Youkilis is? His OPS in June is lower than Orlando Hudson's. Since last July, he has been physically breaking down and sucking at baseball.

I wouldn't quit being a fan if we traded Thornton for Youkilis, but the thought that those two are playing at a similar level is absurd. Thornton isn't the same guy that was once the best non-closer reliever in baseball, but he's still pretty damn good.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
I think it would take about a week for almost all of us to regret trading Matt.

He's choke city these days. Up 5 runs he'll 1-2-3 the competition, up 1? Walk, double, run. He has crumbled under pressure since the beginning of 2011.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
He's choke city these days. Up 5 runs he'll 1-2-3 the competition, up 1? Walk, double, run. He has crumbled under pressure since the beginning of 2011.

I agree, he can't seem to get huge outs for us anymore...but he's still a valuable bridge, IMO.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)

Would you rather see Will Ohman or Hector Santiago in those situations?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)

Have to disagree. I think he is still pretty darn good considering other lefties we have in the bullpen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
Have to disagree. I think he is still pretty darn good considering other lefties we have in the bullpen

you must not have watched much of this season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
And Youkilis is? His OPS in June is lower than Orlando Hudson's. Since last July, he has been physically breaking down and sucking at baseball.

Yeah I will give you that Youkilis is also overpaid. My point being, Thornton is also due $5.5 million next season.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
We gotsta get Chase Headley somehow. It's a perfect match. I just hope we have the bullets.

It would be nice. However, I do not think we have the bullets. If you were Josh Byrnes, what would you want in return?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
It would be nice. However, I do not think we have the bullets. If you were Josh Byrnes, what would you want in return?

Brent Lillibridge, Wil Ohman, and Zach Stewart. Next question

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Brent Lillibridge, Wil Ohman, and Zach Stewart. Next question

:lolhitting

In Byrnes chair, I'm holding out for Mitchell + one of the Sox's young relievers at the least. Headley's under control cheaply for several years, there's no reason to move him for less than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
:lolhitting

In Byrnes chair, I'm holding out for Mitchell + one of the Sox's young relievers at the least. Headley's under control cheaply for several years, there's no reason to move him for less than that.

Yeah I agree with this. I start with asking for Addison Reed and Mitchell. Settle for Mitchell and another arm. So the question then becomes, would you trade Mitchell and a reliever for Headley.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Perdo Hernandez & Simon Castro should get it done.

The Padres literally gave up on Simon Castro last year and the Sox are trying to rebuild him. It would make very little sense for them to want him back.