KW whining about (OK bringing up) attendance again

chisoxfan09

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Well that, and the Bears built the NFL's smallest stadium.

I hate this city and those who planned that so f***ing hard. They should have something akin to the seating of Cowboys Stadium.

thursday afternoon game (albeit 155 degrees or whatever):

1 parking pass; Lot D - $15 - bought outside on the street

2 tickets; first row; between first base and right field: $10/each - bought outside on the street

30 or whatever beers (bacardi, in game, bullpen bar) - entirely too much but well worth it to stay hydrated

random rain storm to cool off the fan base and wrap up a sweep of rangers - priceless

point is, it can be cheap, and the team is highly entertaining to watch and in first place. frankly, I'd pay $500/game if it guarnteed us another ring

flying out to KC on friday to ensure the 2nd half gets off to a good start.

don't stop get it get it

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
So I assume Bears games will be empty this year?

Chris De Luca ‏@ChrisDeLuca

$49 for #Bears tailgate parking.

Thats for the parking by McCormick Place you hop on a school bus to Soldier Field. If you want to park right by Soldier Field, I think its at least $75.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
Is there much of a culture of buying season tickets for USCF amongst diehard fans, or is it more a case of picking and choosing your games as you go?
both. sox have a solid ST base, but most fans buy smaller plans or individual games.

Did Hawk say "Awful!" tonight after bringing up the Sox attendance? I rewinded it a couple times and it sure sounds like he said it.

He starts by saying, "Huge crowd tonight.. they're averaging 23,558, they're actually averaging more than we are. We're averaging 23,091.. [sounds like "Awful!"].

If he did say that, it's definitely not cool for a broadcaster to call out the fan base like that.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- When teams win, fans respond. But fans also don't want to overpay for the thrill.

The Indians have struggled with attendance despite fielding a competitive team through the season's first half. Team management says surveys and discussions with fans reveal a consistent theme.

"When a beer's, like, eight bucks -- that's a lot for one beer,'' said Dawn Yount, a Tribe fan from Lakewood.

"I think the parking is really a big deal,'' said Bonnie Myers of Bay Village, who attends one or two games a year. "I resent it.''

"Those two always come back to the top of the list, parking -- safe, affordable, accessible parking -- and concession prices,'' said Indians President Mark Shapiro. So the Indians are addressing those "barriers,'' as he called them Friday while announcing new price discounts in response to the feedback.

During the homestand against Baltimore on July 20-22, dubbed "Free Transportation Weekend,'' fans will be able to:

• Park free in the Gateway East Garage next to Progressive Field with an advance ticket purchase, using the password "parking'';

• Ride RTA's Blue, Green, and Red rapid-transit lines and HealthLine for free with a valid Indians game ticket when boarding; and

• Board a free shuttle service to and from Ohio City, at the corner of West 25th Street and Market Avenue.

After that weekend, other discounts will continue.

• An RTA family fare of $10 round-trip for home weekend games with advance ticket purchase at Team Shops and Indians.com. The fare is good for two adults and up to four children, age 16 and younger.

• An "Indians Ohio City Shuttle'' for $1 round-trip for weekend games. And a shuttle from Great Lakes Brewing Co., near West 25th and Market, is available every game for $1.

The Indians are also trimming some food and beverage costs for the second half of the season. One deal offers a hot dog, one large popcorn and a 16-ounce pop for $8 -- about a 40 percent discount. The other is a brat and a 12-ounce beer for $8 -- roughly 20 percent off.

"That might entice me to go,'' said Keith Price of Middleburg Heights, who usually attends three or four games a year.

Although the Indians have tried to get the word out, many fans don't realize they can bring a soft cooler of food and snacks and a sealed bottle of water to games. "So you can make it free for concessions,'' Shapiro said, "but this allows for some concession deals to sample some of the classic type of food at the ballpark.''

The Indians have ranked last among baseball's 30 teams in attendance this season despite fielding a team that's three games out of first in the AL Central Division.

Despite fan complaints about the expense, attending a ballgame in Cleveland is cheaper than most. According to Team Marketing Report's annual "Fan Cost Index,'' the Indians, at $173.66, rank 22nd of the 30 teams this season in the cost of attending a game. The league average is $207.68.

The estimate assumes the purchase of tickets, parking, concessions and souvenirs for a family of four.

View full sizeTom Ondrey, The Plain DealerIndians President Mark Shapiro announces discounts for parking, food and transportation during a press conference Friday at the Great Lakes Brewing Co. on West 25th Street.

Other teams have tweaked prices as well.

The Houston Astros, under new ownership this season, cut prices on some tickets and beer and began allowing fans to bring in food and water.

The Los Angeles Dodgers new ownership group, led by basketball great Magic Johnson, cut ballpark parking to $10 from $15.

And in 2010, when the Nolan Ryan-led ownership group took over the Texas Rangers, prices were trimmed on concessions and parking.

Discounts may help spin turnstiles, but not like winning. So the price of hot dogs and beer may not be as important as a move or two before baseball's July 31 trade deadline.

"I don't think anything's imminent at the moment,'' Shapiro said, "but the level of activity is extremely high.''

Shapiro wouldn't predict whether a deal might get done and stuck to the belief that the club's second-half fortunes ride on its rotation.

"I think our chances will be as well as our starting pitching takes us,'' he said. "Can Zach McAllister be the guy he's been initially? Can Justin Masterson and Ubaldo (Jimenez) continue to pitch well, and can we get better performance out of the other two spots?''

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...sportation.html

FAVORITE READER COMMENT

People are full of excuses in this town and its pretty sad. With the Indians its that the team doesnt spend enough money (which has virtually zero correlation to winning games). With the Browns its that the front office doesnt seem to care and are purposly creating a bad team because that is just the cool thing to do now a days. And with the cavs, its that they should trade for Kobe, Dwight Howard, Michael Jordan, and Wilt Chamberlin.

It just seems that no matter what the situation is, there is a cult of fans that just whines and complains about everything that happens. Examples:

"OMG i cant believe the browns traded a crummy fifth and sixth round pick to move up one spot and get the best RB to come out in the last 5 years. We need more 5th rd guys so they can play special teams and stuff."

my favorite though is... "waahhh the Indians dont spend enough money so I wont go to games. I am going to ignore the fact they are 3 games out of first (1out of wild card) and whine b/c if they spent some money, I would go to games b/c they would win at least 140-150 games per year. I dont know enough about baseball so when i go I need to see an all-star at every position or I wont be interested. So I am going to sit at home, be miserable, and miss out on an enjoyable time at the ballpark with friends and family just to show that front office that I dont mess around."

• 2 years later...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

White Sox actually beat the Royals (although not a fair comparison since the Royals had 3 weekday games, the White Sox 3 weekend games)...

Ahead in terms of per game average of KC, Cleveland, Oakland, Miami and TB (7 teams haven't had a home game or had their first on Monday and numbers not yet reflected/updated).

Gives some further indication of the predicted 15-25% increase from 2014.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

White Sox actually beat the Royals (although not a fair comparison since the Royals had 3 weekday games, the White Sox 3 weekend games)...

Ahead in terms of per game average of KC, Cleveland, Oakland, Miami and TB (7 teams haven't had a home game or had their first on Monday and numbers not yet reflected/updated).

Gives some further indication of the predicted 15-25% increase from 2014.

i like the espn link. i am going to save this. i wonder if they will keep it up to date?

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 12:59 AM)
i like the espn link. i am going to save this. i wonder if they will keep it up to date?

Yep, there's usually a 24 hour lag time...

But it's updated for every game of the entire season, just that it's usually one day/night behind....for example, Pittsburgh had their homer opener and beat the Tigers but the attendance isn't updated as of yet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)
Yep, there's usually a 24 hour lag time...

But it's updated for every game of the entire season, just that it's usually one day/night behind....for example, Pittsburgh had their homer opener and beat the Tigers but the attendance isn't updated as of yet.

thanks for that updated info. i am most definitely going to save the link.