KW whining about (OK bringing up) attendance again

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
The question should be has KW maxed out the talent level with the resources provided?I think the obvious answer is no.

Then a logical next question might be "Why", and if part of that answer involves "He was told to keep a manager who had already quit on the team"...then you have a much more complicated situation.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
in short , kenny should b**** at brooks and the ticket department for dynamic pricing. expensive, UNSOLD tickets is worse than cheap but SOLD tickets.

While true, when the media, a group of people who don't have to pay to get in the ballpark, ask him about attendance, he should have zero comment, or even have them direct their questions to Brooks. He should be in a better position to answer the questions.

I'd like someone to ask Brooks if he really thinks $90 for a bleacher seat is really going to attract anyone. I would really love to see who, if anyone, is actually buying at this price. I would imagine the number is extremely small. Is the number enough to offset the 7000-10000 empty seats that could have easily been sold if the price was reasonable last night?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
I believe the product is getting it done. What were we projected to finish in our division by most....like 4th?

We have had 3 holes in the pitching staff (now 2 thanks to Q) from the beginning of the season & we are only a half game out.

Sounds like they are battling & getting the job done to me.

That alone could be the reason for low attendance. There was no upside to motivate fans after last season.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Yeah wasn't the much-publicized slogan last year "All In"? Fans could have had a bitter, cynical taste in their mouth after last year.

There's almost always a carryover effect. Both good and bad. Sox attendance has declined 5 straight seasons. This is almost definitely going to be 6 in a row. Winning is probably the easiest way to fix it, but short of a WS or mulitple playoff appearances, something needs to be done to stop the downward trend. I'm sure if they had an great idea or were given any great idea, it would have been used by now. I don't even know if they can, but what I would do today is drop the dynamic thing, make all prices of tickets for the rest of the season $1 higher than what season tickeholders paid, and see what happens.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
It's very distasteful of a team's GM to complain about attendance given the current state of the economy.

How exactly should Williams answer questions about attendance when asked? How should he answer questions about adding players?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
How exactly should Williams answer questions about attendance when asked? How should he answer questions about adding players?

He shouldn't answer questions about adding players. He doesn't give direct answers anyways. As far as attendance questions, he's the GM, he should tell them that is a question for someone else.

Again, if the Sox are dissappointed with the attendance, they can do something about it, wouldn't you agree?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)

Well, he should be disappointed in the attendance, and he has a right to say something about that. But as far as adding players...saying he can't justify adding players because of low attendance is not the right answer. As it has been said many times in this thread and others, how could anyone expect a stadium to sell out when tickets are going for $90 each against a last place team? The economy is in the dumper, and fewer and fewer people are able to afford going to a MLB game. But dramatically dropping prices isn't the answer either. So what if they sell 35,000 tickets at an average of $10 each? It's about revenue. The Sox have the 4th highest ticket price in MLB...the 4th highest! Why? That's why people aren't coming to the games. Not because the team isn't playing well.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Well, he should be disappointed in the attendance, and he has a right to say something about that. But as far as adding players...saying he can't justify adding players because of low attendance is not the right answer. As it has been said many times in this thread and others, how could anyone expect a stadium to sell out when tickets are going for $90 each against a last place team? The economy is in the dumper, and fewer and fewer people are able to afford going to a MLB game. But dramatically dropping prices isn't the answer either. So what if they sell 35,000 tickets at an average of $10 each? It's about revenue. The Sox have the 4th highest ticket price in MLB...the 4th highest! Why? That's why people aren't coming to the games. Not because the team isn't playing well.

Its the Cubs, and only the Cubs, that tickets are prices like that for. There are 78 other games in the season which are much cheaper, and have way lower levels of attendance.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
It's very distasteful of a team's GM to complain about attendance given the current state of the economy.

i bought two tickets for my dad as a fathers day gift, $51 best price i could find for lower level vs mil. w/the stubhub fee, $118. and they wonder why attendance is low

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Its the Cubs, and only the Cubs, that tickets are prices like that for. There are 78 other games in the season which are much cheaper, and have way lower levels of attendance.

They are cheaper, but not as much as you would think. Still at least $50 to sit downstairs most games. It would be hard not to argue price is one big factor keeping people away this year, especially when the team was going well. The people who seem to be most dissappointed in attendance, sportswriters, broadcasters, Sox employees, don't pay to go to games. I'd really like to attend tonight's game. I checked whitesox.com, I looked on Stubhub the last 2 nights as well, but there is nothing priced, and I'm not one of these guys that needs a half priced ticket, which makes it worth my while when I can sit in airconditioning on my couch, drink a 12 pack for what it would cost me for 1 beer and watch in HD and listen to the Hawkeroo. IMO, going is better, but not $100+ better.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
i'm planning on going today to the game. i only need a single seat. stubhub has single bleacher seats for $70. sox box office? $90

the ticket i buy on stubhub does NOT add to the attendance #. so dont blame me when your box office prices me out.

But with the MLB/Stubhub partnership, the Sox will get a little kickback on that resale.

The thing that bothers me about the attendance argument, is the Sox aren't really trying to sell all of their tickets. They want it both ways. Make more money per seat sold, price out a good percentage of your fanbase, but want the sympathy for the low volume they sell. They really need a new plan. Brooks and his crew should be on notice.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
But with the MLB/Stubhub partnership, the Sox will get a little kickback on that resale.

The thing that bothers me about the attendance argument, is the Sox aren't really trying to sell all of their tickets. They want it both ways. Make more money per seat sold, price out a good percentage of your fanbase, but want the sympathy for the low volume they sell. They really need a new plan. Brooks and his crew should be on notice.

so? that is stilla ticket that was ALREADY sold. no new sale comes from that

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
There's no doubt in my mind that last year's terrible and unlikable team has had an impact on the fan base. If the Sox can stay in contention all year, it would really help the excitement surrounding the organization.

Yup, couple that with a terribly unlikeable manager and drama centered around him, and the fans are put off.

I know why I dumped my season tickets.

There's no doubt in my mind that last year's terrible and unlikable team has had an impact on the fan base. If the Sox can stay in contention all year, it would really help the excitement surrounding the organization.

Sale is something to get excited about don't know about the rest going forward after this year.

Exactly. And it takes more than a few weeks in 1st place in a s***ty division to increase that excitement. Looking at 2005 attendance, it really didn't take off until late June, and that team was 15-20+ games over .500 with nearly a ten game divisional lead.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
KW sounds like a guy making an excuse as to why he isn't better at his job. He doesn't have the money he needs to get the players he wants. Tired of the guy.

They are not excuses. They are facts.

We have plenty of talent on this team to win the division. But if the fans expect an upgrade, then they need to put their money where their mouths are.

I see nothing wrong with saying that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
They are not excuses. They are facts.

We have plenty of talent on this team to win the division. But if the fans expect an upgrade, then they need to put their money where their mouths are.

I see nothing wrong with saying that.

Then KW needs say I can't trade for Cole Hamels because he costs too much. It's simply not true.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Then KW needs say I can't trade for Cole Hamels because he costs too much. It's simply not true.

The White Sox had the 10th highest revenue last season according to Forbes. The only AL Central team with higher revenue was the Twins. They brought in $3 million higher. Their attendance problems are overblown.

As we all know, if they dropped prices a bit, the attendance would go up. They are afraid of having great attendance but around the same or slightly higher revenue. It will make the $.50 vs. $1.00 argument look silly.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
The White Sox had the 10th highest revenue last season according to Forbes. Their attendance problems are overblown.

As we all know, if they dropped prices a bit, the attendance would go up. They are afraid of having great attendance but around the same or slightly higher revenue. It will make the $.50 vs. $1.00 argument look silly.

And conveniently, they have the 11th highest payroll, after having the 5th highest payroll in 2011.