KW whining about (OK bringing up) attendance again

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
So essentially Kenny should just not say anything in interviews? I'm sure no one would complain about that...

I guess you would have preferred he said "No comment."?

I'm not suggesting he say absolutely nothing, and the term "no comment" almost sounds like he is trying to hide something. I would just be smart about it and say something to the effect of we are currently looking at all of our options to improve the ball club. Leave money and attendance out of it.

Media asks him about attendance and finances because they know he can't resist saying something that fans will jump on, taken the wrong way or not. If K.W. stopped mentioning it when asked, the media would stop trying to bait him about it.

Edited by balfanman

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)

I'm not suggesting he say absolutely nothing, and the term "no comment" almost sounds like he is trying to hide something. I would just be smart about it and say something to the effect of we are currently looking at all of our options to improve the ball club. Leave money and attendance out of it.

Media asks him about attendance and finances because they know he can't resist saying something that fans will jump on, taken the wrong way or not. If K.W. stopped mentioning it when asked, the media would stop trying to bait him about it.

They keep asking because it's an obvious issue, and KW isn't saying anything that should be a shocker to fans.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)

If Kenny didn't answer those questions directly, the media and fans would freak out.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
They keep asking because it's an obvious issue, and KW isn't saying anything that should be a shocker to fans.

Many people spent all last fall and winter talking about how they weren't renewing or buying tickets. Yet when attendance drops, people start freaking out and looking for people to blame. Um, uh, ok.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
Right on cue, the nice and lazy media playing the meatball contingent like a fiddle.

As oppossed to the great hard working KW and the oh mighty JR, who use the media every chance they get. No one dare question them EVER!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Right. Because no one ever challenges them. Dude what planet are you from? :lolhitting

Every article written that dare questions KW on attendance you say lazy media and meatball fans come up with something new.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Every article written that questions KW on attendance you say lazy media and meatball fans come up with something new.

I'd love to come up with something new to talk about, but come on. No one questions Kenny or JR? Really? If no one questions them, why the hell are we on like post #200 of this dead horse topic?

The entire fanbase knew attendance was going to fall hard this year, yet here we are acting like this is a surprise? Come on.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
As oppossed to the great hard working KW and the oh mighty JR, who use the media every chance they get. No one dare question them EVER!

how often do you hear JR in any interview? It seriously happens like once a year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
I'd love to come up with something new to talk about, but come on. No one questions Kenny or JR? Really? If no one questions them, why the hell are we on like post #200 of this dead horse topic?

The entire fanbase knew attendance was going to fall hard this year, yet here we are acting like this is a surprise? Come on.

Its no surprise, but then again the team being in contention is. People want to look for reasons. Its pretty simple. Bad year last year. No offseason excitement leads to fewer season ticket renewals and fewer pre-season ticket sales. Dynamic pricing leads to fewer in season ticket sales.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
How often do you get out and blast your employer publicly?

When KW gives the " We can't spend a dollar, If we only have 50 cents." That is 100% directive from JR. Did JR say it himself to the media.......no............everyone knows where it came from.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
If Kenny didn't answer those questions directly, the media and fans would freak out.

What he's trying to do is be realistic with the fans so there isn't an even greater alienation going on if they don't add to the club.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
When KW gives the " We can't spend a dollar, If we only have 50 cents." That is 100% directive from JR. Did JR say it himself to the media.......no............everyone knows where it came from.

Again, when was the last time you went out and publicly blasted your employer?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
It is also common sense. Less people=less revenue=less payroll.

I think the question is isn't there a better way to attempt to increase revenue than saying attendance is an issue? It hasn't worked in the past, why would it work now? If its an issue, do something about it. I don't understand how you can give people a discount if they find a code, but can't afford just to make the unsold seat the same price so people don't have to jump through hoops to get it.

I'm beginning to think the White Sox actually don't mind this attendance and media talk. It makes people overlook revenue and concentrate on weak ticket sales. If they are pricing tickets at the level they are pricing them, they must be hard to get. Isn't that how supply and demand works?

I don't understand why Brooks would rather keep bleacher seats at $90 and lower boxes in the corner at $105 rather than actually sell them and get some revenue. KW shouldn't be discussing this stuff with the media, he should be discussing it with Brooks and his crew.

Since its apparently all about dollars "available" let's look at 2011. The Sox were in the top 10 in revenue generated in MLB. Were they in the top 10 in on field performance? Who really is the party not holding up their end of the deal?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
I think the question is isn't there a better way to attempt to increase revenue than saying attendance is an issue? It hasn't worked in the past, why would it work now? If its an issue, do something about it. I don't understand how you can give people a discount if they find a code, but can't afford just to make the unsold seat the same price so people don't have to jump through hoops to get it.

I'm beginning to think the White Sox actually don't mind this attendance and media talk. It makes people overlook revenue and concentrate on weak ticket sales. If they are pricing tickets at the level they are pricing them, they must be hard to get. Isn't that how supply and demand works?

I don't understand why Brooks would rather keep bleacher seats at $90 and lower boxes in the corner at $105 rather than actually sell them and get some revenue. KW shouldn't be discussing this stuff with the media, he should be discussing it with Brooks and his crew.

Since its apparently all about dollars "available" let's look at 2011. The Sox were in the top 10 in revenue generated in MLB. Were they in the top 10 in on field performance? Who really is the party not holding up their end of the deal?

Considering how these guys have showed they can play this year, the players did not hold up their end of the deal last year...and I feel that way for most years when we don't compete.

Discount seats-pricing gimmicks-it may be as simple as free or $5.00 parking or reduced concession prices. When I went earkier this year, I was surprised by not that food prices were up, but how much. Maybe sell "taste portions" for smaller amount. It is a difficult place to bring a family by public transportation-and who wants to take a bus or train back to a car at night anywhere in the dark. Make it an affordable and pleasant trip, and the seat price issue becomes less of a reason not to go.

Ta-da! That, and as somebody mentioned above, the food prices? They rape you at the Cell.

Here's my case: did anybody try to get online to get Cubs/Sox at the Cell? I was just poking around (really don't care, since it was on a M/T/W--WTF?) and even though the Cubs suck and the White Sox' attendance is dismal and nobody cares about the series much anymore, you could forget getting a ticket for anything less than 80 bucks, even in the nosebleeds. Stubhub was no better.

So they lost me on this one, and I've never missed a Cubs/Sox series until this year.

Even for this week's Brewers series the decent seats are priced ridiculously.

I wonder what economy these guys think we have right now.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Ta-da! That, and as somebody mentioned above, the food prices? They rape you at the Cell.

Here's my case: did anybody try to get online to get Cubs/Sox at the Cell? I was just poking around (really don't care, since it was on a M/T/W--WTF?) and even though the Cubs suck and the White Sox' attendance is dismal and nobody cares about the series much anymore, you could forget getting a ticket for anything less than 80 bucks, even in the nosebleeds. Stubhub was no better.

So they lost me on this one, and I've never missed a Cubs/Sox series until this year.

Even for this week's Brewers series the decent seats are priced ridiculously.

I wonder what economy these guys think we have right now.

It's obviously some kind of algorithm they're running which theoretically optimizes revenues. My guess is it is sort of like a production cost model of some sort that they are manipulating on the fly.

I don't think they are just pulling numbers out of their asses.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
It's obviously some kind of algorithm they're running which theoretically optimizes revenues. My guess is it is sort of like a production cost model of some sort that they are manipulating on the fly.

I don't think they are just pulling numbers out of their asses.

Looks like they need a new quant guy. If they are optimizing revenues, KW wouldn't need to say anything.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
Looks like they need a new quant guy. If they are optimizing revenues, KW wouldn't need to say anything.

Optimizing revenues based on expected attendance, not on possible attendance.