Humber DL, Fukudome DFA, Bruney recalled

WHarris1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
What's with the Christ? This is a meaningless message board. Relax.

As far as Zach, I can get what you wrote through my skull.

He's where he belongs right now. AAA. Keep him off a big league mound until he has the ability to get a few big league hitters out.

You should take your own advice when it comes to the Cubs and "ending" Konerko's career.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Yeah Cleveland and Detroit(team behind us) really are world beaters. Tough to keep up with them. Have you been watching this division?

I have been and what I meant about the rebuild is start letting some of these kids getting time, major league exp under there belt let them gel togheter

If Axelrod doesn't succeed right away, I'd rather see Simon Castro come up.

Bruney was the right guy to call up. Has had sporadic MLB success before and unlike most Soxtalkers I'm okay with a guy who isn't going to set the world on fire in the long reliever role. It also doesn't f*** up another young pitcher's development by sticking him in the last spot in the bullpen, Brian is more than used to being a reliever and a sporadically used one at that.

Fuku could have worked out and may catch on with someone else, but Jordan Danks is the better player right now and I'd much rather see what we have in Jordan if someone is to go down with an injury for a while as opposed to trotting Fuku out there at this point who may produce but no longer lacks the upside of a talented 25 year old like Danks.

Wish the best to Humber who may be done as a White Sox, though I assume he'll return and probably take Bruney's spot.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
This is simply a phantom injury. I'm sure Humber is fine.

Humber said he basically had no control of his pitches because of this injury. Certainly doesnt sound like a phantom injury to me.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Humber said he basically had no control of his pitches because of this injury. Certainly doesnt sound like a phantom injury to me.

Then why did it take so long?

And what else would you want him to say? :)

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:06 PM)
Then why did it take so long?

And what else would you want him to say? :)

He said in the article he thinks unless your arm is broken you go out there and pitch. His answer seemed completely reasonable. Either way there was clearly something wrong and he needs some time to work it out.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
I have been and what I meant about the rebuild is start letting some of these kids getting time, major league exp under there belt let them gel togheter

Im just wondering but which players did you have in mind?

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
He said in the article he thinks unless your arm is broken you go out there and pitch. His answer seemed completely reasonable. Either way there was clearly something wrong and he needs some time to work it out.

Right, because I am sure he would tell the writer that the reason he was really DL'd is because he is sucking ass and we need a roster spot. :)

But we'll never know, because we're not Phil Humber.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
Right, because I am sure he would tell the writer that the reason he was really DL'd is because he is sucking ass and we need a roster spot. :)

It could be that as well. Your taking your training in stride. Glad to see your finally learning.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)

So the White Sox are going to put a guy on the DL with a phantom injury, when they have nothing to really replace him with? I could understand if Danks was ready. But the Sox are going to take a guy like Humber, who was very good for the club last year, started the year strong, and as a whole has pretty good stuff, to replace/give up on him, for Dylan Axelrod?

That makes no sense to me. Maybe if it was to give some time off for Danks, but not for Axelrod. Humber had a legit injury, when it started, I don't know, but lets not act like the Sox had better options. I'm assuming they tried to have him pitch through it, hoping it would work out and he'd get better, but he didn't. Worse yet, they didn't get Danks back so they finally had to make the decision to sit him and let him get better.

I'm guessing it's a partial truth. I'd say it's something that may have cleared up on its own, but was just kind of nagging and with the way he's been pitching it isn't worth it to push anything. They probably felt this way about Danks until he really didn't heal up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
So the White Sox are going to put a guy on the DL with a phantom injury, when they have nothing to really replace him with? I could understand if Danks was ready. But the Sox are going to take a guy like Humber, who was very good for the club last year, started the year strong, and as a whole has pretty good stuff, to replace/give up on him, for Dylan Axelrod?

That makes no sense to me. Maybe if it was to give some time off for Danks, but not for Axelrod. Humber had a legit injury, when it started, I don't know, but lets not act like the Sox had better options. I'm assuming they tried to have him pitch through it, hoping it would work out and he'd get better, but he didn't. Worse yet, they didn't get Danks back so they finally had to make the decision to sit him and let him get better.

But Humber has no options left so wasn't it either DL or DFA ? DLing him and letting him work on stuff is definitely not giving up on the guy! Just buying him so time and hoping he figures it out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)

They do have better options. Almost ANYONE would be a better option right now. He has an ERA of over SIX. That is as bad as it gets in the Major Leagues. So how can you tell me they have no one to replace him?

If he really has some legit injury, I doubt he would be back anytime soon...and yet, you usually don't see players retroactively designated unless there is a pretty strong belief that they will be back be asap. It seems a bit odd that they would do that, but you never know. Baron says he has some info which says Humber will be out for quite some time, so we'll have to see.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
I'm guessing it's a partial truth. I'd say it's something that may have cleared up on its own, but was just kind of nagging and with the way he's been pitching it isn't worth it to push anything. They probably felt this way about Danks until he really didn't heal up.

Let's face it, you could come up with some injury for every player in the League at this point...so yes, I don't doubt that he has some nagging injury, just like every other player on the roster.

Do we think he would be on the DL if he was still pitching like he was in his first 15 starts last year?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
But Humber has no options left so wasn't it either DL or DFA ? DLing him and letting him work on stuff is definitely not giving up on the guy! Just buying him so time and hoping he figures it out.

I'll be honest. I don't think he's lying and given how he pitched, I can fully believe he had something bugging him. You can read my posts, I said a hell of a lot that he had just no idea where the ball was going. The stuff was there by and large, but no command, and to be frank, that was so much different then the Humber all of us have watched. REally they only time he ever struggled in a Sox uni for an extended period of time was late last year when he was fatigued after throwing more innings then he ever had in his professional career (and you could see it).

So if he is saying this issue really made it difficult to throw strikes, well, to be frank, I believe it, and to also be frank, I wasn't ready to give up on Humber and I'm pretty sure the Sox weren't either. They hadn't given up on Floyd, who had been significantly worse, so I don't think they were about to give up on Humber for Axelrod (for Danks, maybe, they'd have done something), but not in this situation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)
They do have better options. Almost ANYONE would be a better option right now. He has an ERA of over SIX. That is as bad as it gets in the Major Leagues. So how can you tell me they have no one to replace him?

If he really has some legit injury, I doubt he would be back anytime soon...and yet, you usually don't see players retroactively designated unless there is a pretty strong belief that they will be back be asap. It seems a bit odd that they would do that, but you never know. Baron says he has some info which says Humber will be out for quite some time, so we'll have to see.

I think they can only go back a certain amount of time, but unless its an injury that is going clearly take more than 15 days to heal, retro'ing is almost automatic.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)

As a former pitcher, I can tell you flat out that you can have an injury that just needs a few weeks to get better (which might be the case here). And the org would be stupid not to put it retroactive. Teams always put things retroactive. You just never know what could happen. There is no harm in doing it, so why wouldn't you. My guess is he'll be back in a couple weeks (miss 2-3 starts).

And despite that area, he's also thrown a heck of a lot more complete games then a lot of the 5th starters the Sox have put out there. He also has a good arm and was dynamite for the club when he's been healthy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
I'll be honest. I don't think he's lying and given how he pitched, I can fully believe he had something bugging him. You can read my posts, I said a hell of a lot that he had just no idea where the ball was going. The stuff was there by and large, but no command, and to be frank, that was so much different then the Humber all of us have watched. REally they only time he ever struggled in a Sox uni for an extended period of time was late last year when he was fatigued after throwing more innings then he ever had in his professional career (and you could see it).

So if he is saying this issue really made it difficult to throw strikes, well, to be frank, I believe it, and to also be frank, I wasn't ready to give up on Humber and I'm pretty sure the Sox weren't either. They hadn't given up on Floyd, who had been significantly worse, so I don't think they were about to give up on Humber for Axelrod (for Danks, maybe, they'd have done something), but not in this situation.

Gavin has actually been about 15-20% better than Humber, and Gavin has been really bad. That just shows you how bad Humber has been.

I don't disagree with him having some medical malady they can point to for the purposes of the DL, but I "am guessing" that this had a lot more to do with Humber sucking ass than Humber feeling pain.

And given that he gets 4-5 days rest between starts anyway, I have a hard time believing that this is something that is going to magically disappear in 8-10 days.