Humber DL, Fukudome DFA, Bruney recalled

WHarris1

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
Fair enough, I didn't mean to start an unnecessary argument. Here is to hoping Axelrod comes up and is serviceable and Humber figures it out for a repeat of last season's first half.

I think its a good argument and a fair question Im actually looking forward to Axelrod pitching.

Edited by Baron

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
As a former pitcher, I can tell you flat out that you can have an injury that just needs a few weeks to get better (which might be the case here). And the org would be stupid not to put it retroactive. Teams always put things retroactive. You just never know what could happen. There is no harm in doing it, so why wouldn't you. My guess is he'll be back in a couple weeks (miss 2-3 starts).

And despite that area, he's also thrown a heck of a lot more complete games then a lot of the 5th starters the Sox have put out there. He also has a good arm and was dynamite for the club when he's been healthy.

I'm not disputing anything you are saying, except I believe they don't know what else to do with him, but they can't keep putting him out there to lose games for us, and they can't option him down. The DL is just too convenient.

Again, I am sure they could find plenty of things going on with Jake and Chris that they could DL them for too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
Gavin has actually been about 15-20% better than Humber, and Gavin has been really bad. That just shows you how bad Humber has been.

I don't disagree with him having some medical malady they can point to for the purposes of the DL, but I "am guessing" that this had a lot more to do with Humber sucking ass than Humber feeling pain.

And given that he gets 4-5 days rest between starts anyway, I have a hard time believing that this is something that is going to magically disappear in 8-10 days.

And at what point is Humber struggling due to the pain. Clearly he couldn't pitch through the injury, so they dl'd him. Probably the exact same thing that happened to Danks (when they finally decided he couldn't pitch through it). It happens.

Up until last start, Im pretty sure I read where Floyd had a double digit era or close to it in his past few starts (which was significantly worse then Humber). Humber had a couple really bad starts, but he also has quite a few quality starts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
And at what point is Humber struggling due to the pain. Clearly he couldn't pitch through the injury, so they dl'd him. Probably the exact same thing that happened to Danks (when they finally decided he couldn't pitch through it). It happens.

Up until last start, Im pretty sure I read where Floyd had a double digit era or close to it in his past few starts (which was significantly worse then Humber). Humber had a couple really bad starts, but he also has quite a few quality starts.

Well, you are free to believe what you wish...I am a Humber supporter as well, so I'm glad they didn't DFA him.

But you're not going to convince me that this isn't just a convenient excuse to put him on the shelf for awhile while we check out some other options.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
They said on the pre game that Humber was actually playing catch today. I think his stay on the DL will be minimal.

The really good news to come out of that is no surgery.

Well if both Danks and Humber just need some rest to get better so be it. This division sucks if the team can just stay afloat getting those arms back, fresh and healthy that's a big boon to the team in the second half.

Just need that offense to click again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)

I don't recall Philip having a good start soince the perfect game.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Im just wondering but which players did you have in mind?

You may laugh and I know a lot of guys ml ain't great, but you never know. Anyways I meant axelrod, Castro and even Jordan danks, yes we are close and I understand that, but if these guys get a taste of it and do ok or whatever they start gelling together and you have foundation, i'd rather see you of these guys get a chance instead of throwing money away on the o-dawg types if the end result will be the same, now that's my opinion, people tend to look at stats and I guess that's what they are there for but if you look at buherle his stats in the minors were never eye popping and was drafted in the whatever round, but as we all know the rest is history, again that's my thinking laugh and call me dumb or whatever but I think that if you don't try them you'll never know, just look at Quintana too

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
You may laugh and I know a lot of guys ml ain't great, but you never know. Anyways I meant axelrod, Castro and even Jordan danks, yes we are close and I understand that, but if these guys get a taste of it and do ok or whatever they start gelling together and you have foundation, i'd rather see you of these guys get a chance instead of throwing money away on the o-dawg types if the end result will be the same, now that's my opinion, people tend to look at stats and I guess that's what they are there for but if you look at buherle his stats in the minors were never eye popping and was drafted in the whatever round, but as we all know the rest is history, again that's my thinking laugh and call me dumb or whatever but I think that if you don't try them you'll never know, just look at Quintana too

Those guys are getting a taste of it(Except for Castro....for now). Its not like we paid Hudson a boat load of money. Basically the Padres are paying him not to be on their club.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 05:21 PM)
Those guys are getting a taste of it(Except for Castro....for now). Its not like we paid Hudson a boat load of money. Basically the Padres are paying him not to be on their club.

True, but ok man I understand what I mean I may not know how to put it in words tho, it's all good

Fuko not claimed, released.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

Kosuke Fukudome's stint with the Chicago White Sox ended on Tuesday when the team released the outfielder, who had been designated for assignment on Friday.

Fukudome had been on the disabled list since June 7. The move likely signals that Jordan Danks will remain with the White Sox for the rest of the season.

Fukudome, signed in the offseason as a fourth outfielder, batted .171 with no homers and four RBIs in 24 games.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I believe the Sox used up all the good Humber already.

If the elbow wasn't really bothering him when he went bad, I agree with you. If he truly had an elbow isssue, there is some hope. I'd throw today's numbers out since he hasn't pitched in a while. If his next outing is bad.........next.

The next question is going to be how delicate or fragile is Simon Castro's constitution?

Is he going to suffer from being pushed to the big leagues this season, or is he the kind of pitcher who learns from adversity and bounces back nicely with even more determination and moxie?

You saw a good example of this with Quintana the other night bouncing back twice and continuing to battle instead of suffering a complete implosion and early knockout.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
The next question is going to be how delicate or fragile is Simon Castro's constitution?

Is he going to suffer from being pushed to the big leagues this season, or is he the kind of pitcher who learns from adversity and bounces back nicely with even more determination and moxie?

You saw a good example of this with Quintana the other night bouncing back twice and continuing to battle instead of suffering a complete implosion and early knockout.

Castro seems quite good at recovering from difficulties. This whole season has been spent recovering from difficulties that really cost him time last year. In the game I saw him throw, he also had to pitch over a couple errors/miscues, one by himself as well. And although his first start in AAA was weak, he killed the next outing before hitting the DL.