Sox. Brewers. Gamethread.

Kyyle23

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)
Brent with his busted back is better than Hudson

Disagree, and that's after having watched. Hudson's made plenty of bonehead plays but also some admirable ones, and simply put together better at bats than Morel.

I'm not sure Youkilis with his body condition won't be worse than Hudson. Or even basically non-existant, with Escobar playing most days for health reasons. But then...if we don't give up too much for him, I can't complain, may as well try and see if you get lucky with his body holding out for a month or two. I just wouldn't sit here and pretend he's likely to be a great option.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)
Balta, you really think Youk wouldn't be better than Hudson? It is hard to play worse than Hudson has with the Sox

Youk has to hit better than Hudson, because he's going to be even worse than Hudson on D, especially with his physical condition...and outside of 10 games in late May right after coming off the DL, Youk's putting up a sub-.600 OPS hiimself this year and getting worse.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I know he's not what he used to be, but better than Hudson? I think Youks corpse could be better than Hudson!

DYLAN!

Youk's corpse this month has not outperformed Hudson at the plate and hasn't even been playing third base defensively.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
Balta, you really think Youk wouldn't be better than Hudson? It is hard to play worse than Hudson has with the Sox

I think it's possible, but I'm ready for a change. I'm guessing we may keep Hudson on as depth anyway.

Also, Hudson has outplayed the hurt version of Brent Morel. The bar was unbelievably low, but he's above it

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Youkilis still has a .311 OBP, which is higher than 4 regulars in Whitesox lineup

In April it was .292. He went on the DL in May, came off and had 10 solid games or so, hit .313 with a .371 OBP. Then, June came, and he's back to a punchless .296 OBP.

In his current body condition, that sub.300 OBP is what we might expect. If he can get healthy or stronger or something like that, then sure, that OBP will shoot back up, but that's where he is right now, and let's be honest about what is going to be required for that to get better.

This is why I wouldn't give up anything useful while paying $3 million for him.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
Roider ties it at 2.

Youk has a track record, he's clerly not fitting with Bobby over at Boston, look what new manager and a breath of fresh air did to the White Sox this year.

Unless Bobby Valentine is finding where Youkilis sleeps and spending the night beating him senseless with aluminum bats, this doesn't have anything to do with Valentine. It's all about his body taking the pounding of being both a regular MLB player and even more so, an MLB 3b.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
Also, Hudson has outplayed the hurt version of Brent Morel. The bar was unbelievably low, but he's above it

I disagree, Hudson's horrible defense has cost us way more than Morel's terrible offense has. And this is coming from someone who hates Morel.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
I disagree, Hudson's horrible defense has cost us way more than Morel's terrible offense has. And this is coming from someone who hates Morel.

And coming from this site's biggest Morel defender...there's a reason this team got hot right when Morel hit the DL. Hudson's D has hurt, but Morel wasn't helping on D either. Morel didn't make the bonehead plays, but he was also struggling with the regular plays he should make. And he was hitting worse/having worse at bats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 12:10 AM)
And coming from this site's biggest Morel defender...there's a reason this team got hot right when Morel hit the DL. Hudson's D has hurt, but Morel wasn't helping on D either. Morel didn't make the bonehead plays, but he was also struggling with the regular plays he should make. And he was hitting worse/having worse at bats.

Wouldn't that be because 7 of the 9 hitters in the everyday lineup got hot at the same time (besides Alexei and Hudson)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Wouldn't that be because 7 of the 9 hitters in the everyday lineup got hot at the same time (besides Alexei and Hudson)

Getting a professional at bat out of the 9 hole and suddenly having a 3b who was getting to balls made a big difference too.