Jamie Moyer Thread

elrockinMT

Jamie Moyer was allowed to get out of his minor league contract. He is looking for work at the major league level. Considering Stewart and Axelrod haven't really been that impressive and also the fact we have Humber and Danks on the DL I think Moyer would be a great and cheap alternative for that 5th starter position. He can give you 5 or 6 effective innings I think and is certainly a veteran who knows how to win. I think he is worth a chance through the rest of this season. His ERA in I think three AAA sytarts was 1.69 or so.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
5.70 ERA, 1.73 WHIP in 10 starts in the National League this season. No thank you, I'd rather take my chances with Axelrod or Castro.

This. He'll get torched. It was a nice novelty watching him here in Colorado early this season, but ONLY the Rockies need to be THAT desperate for pitching.

He done.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
I'd rather take my chances with fathom or wite. Lock this garbage.

Why is this garbage? I think it is extremely realistic. I am not saying it will or should happen, but looking at our present needs is it any different then our signing of the O-Dawg to fill a need we had at 3B. How is that working out in folk's opinions? :huh

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
So he had a bad game or two

He had an OK April but a brutal May.

April starts

@Houston, 5 IP, 3 ER

San Fran, 5.2 IP, 2 ER

San Diego, 7 IP, 0 ER

@Pitt, 6 IP, 1 ER

The Mets, 5.0 IP, 4 ER

So a 3.17 ERA

May starts

ATL, 5 IP, 5 ER

@LAD, 5 IP, 5 ER

Ari, 6.1 IP, 1 ER

@Mia, 3.2 IP, 6 ER

@Cin, 5 IP, 7 ER

8.64 ERA.

If he was just hurt in May, I could see him helping out the team.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
It does appear management is looking for pitching so somebody thinks we need help. I am not saying I am just saying...

Moyer in the AL is not help, it is lighter fluid. No thanks.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)

Can he play third? can he coach? if not I rather see him sign with the Cleves or Tiggs. But I don't mind the brainstorming. He would not be expensive that would be the only good. Maybe in September in a mop up role? That is the best that I could thing of. kenny w. always gets his old man.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
I like Jamie Moyer and want a team to sign him......but would rather not have the Sox sign him.

I can agree with this. Hopefully Detroit or Cleveland. William Tell is the Paul Konerko of posters.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm not against it. Maybe he is finished maybe not. We have way too many rookie pitchers to really expect us to compete. A veteran who has gotten by on changing speeds and location and outsmarting the hitters might have some wisdom to impart to all our young pitchers and might even get a few decent starts out of him . If not sure won't cost much would it ?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)

Why does everybody act like the AL is so superior? Who has been winning the WS lately? Who is kicking the Sox ass this season?? The NL. I'd sign him. Why not?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Why does everybody act like the AL is so superior? Who has been winning the WS lately? Who is kicking the Sox ass this season?? The NL. I'd sign him. Why not?

Have you been paying attention to Interleague play outside of the Sox at all Greg?

When you take everything into account the NL is bad. They have good teams, but they have very few. Just because one team from the NL won the WS doesn't mean the entire league is good or better than the AL.

Jamie Moyer barely throws 80 MPH and gets crushed almost every start. Giancarlo Stanton hit a home run that had the highest velocity off the bat ever recorded off Moyer.

There is no reason for the Sox to sign him when you have options like Axelrod, who will actually give you a chance to win the game the majority of the time. Jamie Moyer throws batting practice.