6/24 Games

claydude14

About to head to Frontier Field and watch the Red Wings take on the Knights, so I figured I'd start today's thread. Zach Stewart getting the start for the Knights. Wanted to see Castro but didn't work out with the gf's work schedule, no problem with seeing Zach start though.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
More of the same, unfortunately. Lots of guys are going to move ahead of him, if there's no turnaround soon.

Apparently KW was still pimping him on the radio earlier today, saying he has the highest upside in the system.

Knew something was up when I got to the game and Stewart was not on the mound. I don't mind! Heath did good, had no idea who he was. Bullpen kept the Red Twins scoreless through 8, had to duck out early. Dan Johnson hit a BOMB.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Knew something was up when I got to the game and Stewart was not on the mound. I don't mind! Heath did good, had no idea who he was. Bullpen kept the Red Twins scoreless through 8, had to duck out early. Dan Johnson hit a BOMB.

I could see DJohnson being the 25th man on a playoff roster for his LH power only, but with the Phillies semi-tanking, here's a prediction that we reacquire Thome in September for one last shot at a ring.

Leyson Septimo is very interesting to me. Always put up big K numbers, but had huge control issues. Joined Sox system at B-Ham last year, and but his walk rate by about 30% in the same league... now this year even lower, and lower still in his last 10 games but still striking out a fair amount. Plus hitters are showing only .135 BAA. Versus lefties its .095, a ridiculous 6.3 GO/AO, and he's only walked 2 vs striking out 16 against 42 batters.

Me thinks he could be the next LOOGY experiment in Chicago.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
I could see DJohnson being the 25th man on a playoff roster for his LH power only, but with the Phillies semi-tanking, here's a prediction that we reacquire Thome in September for one last shot at a ring.

For what purpose exactly? We already have a left-handed power hitting DH...He would be superfluous.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Leyson Septimo is very interesting to me. Always put up big K numbers, but had huge control issues. Joined Sox system at B-Ham last year, and but his walk rate by about 30% in the same league... now this year even lower, and lower still in his last 10 games but still striking out a fair amount. Plus hitters are showing only .135 BAA. Versus lefties its .095, a ridiculous 6.3 GO/AO, and he's only walked 2 vs striking out 16 against 42 batters.

We should have some more solid bullpen guys coming up over the next couple years. Omogrosso has some sick splits after a terrible April. Since then, he has 23.2 innings pitched, 14 hits allowed and a K/BB ratio of 28/1. Yes.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
We should have some more solid bullpen guys coming up over the next couple years.

That's a good point. It's a bit negative when you hear a guy that projects as a reliever, but having some of those guys succeeding in that role with the Sox it's a nice luxury to have. All these young guys are doing mostly well now and there are more on the way if needed. The bullpen situation is really awesome for the future.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
We should have some more solid bullpen guys coming up over the next couple years. Omogrosso has some sick splits after a terrible April. Since then, he has 23.2 innings pitched, 24 hits allowed and a K/BB ratio of 28/1. Yes.

But has he got back that explosive stuff he had before the injuries, like when he really looked like a very solid prospect maybe 3 years ago?

By his IP/H ratio, he's still not missing enough bats. You'd like to see any reliever in the +10 or more category on that one, especially as the season's nearing the halfway point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
But has he got back that explosive stuff he had before the injuries, like when he really looked like a very solid prospect maybe 3 years ago?

By his IP/H ratio, he's still not missing enough bats. You'd like to see any reliever in the +10 or more category on that one, especially as the season's nearing the halfway point.

I mistyped. It was actually 14 hits not 24. I think the stuff is back.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)

Last year Septimo was on the 40 man roster; not so this year. He's prob one of those guys who will have to be promoted at end of year or risk losing him in draft.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Last year Septimo was on the 40 man roster; not so this year. He's prob one of those guys who will have to be promoted at end of year or risk losing him in draft.

Non-issue in this case. If he comes up before September, its because one of Thornton, Ohman or Santiago got traded/released/sent down, in which case a spot opens up anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)

Saw a recent report of 99mph heater, so I'd assume so.

Septimo as well as SRodriguez in B'ham both intrigue me as future pen arms. Hope they get their big-league chances before too long.

Unless things turn around soon, I won't be too weepy when Matty and Will are no longer the lefty staples in the pen. Hell, I wish RV would either use Hector more, or get him down to the minors and stretch him out.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen