Welcome to the White Sox, New Youk

sunofgold

Welcome to your new team the White Sox. Hope that the change of scenery helps you out. Please play better than Bob Uecker, Odawg, and Moral. You are the first Jewish player we have had since probably Scott Schoenweis or Ross Baumgarten. You are a grinder thus you should fit in well here. Shalom, New Youk!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
Welcome to your new team the White Sox. Hope that the change of scenery helps you out. Please play better than Bob Uecker, Odawg, and Moral. You are the first Jewish player we have had since probably Scott Schoenweis or Ross Baumgarten. You are a grinder thus you should fit in well here. Shalom, New Youk!

Aaron Poreda.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:20 AM)
Youkilis is Jewish?

A Greek Jew? Is that possible?

WIKI:

The Youkilis family name has an unusual history.[8] His Jewish great-great-great-grandfather, a native of 19th-century Romania, moved to Greece at the age of 16 to avoid conscription at the hands of the notoriously anti-Semitic Cossacks.[4][8] He became homesick, however, and returned to Romania after a couple of years, although he changed his surname from "Weiner" to the name, "Youkilis", to avoid army and jail.[8]

Youkilis is the son of a Romanian Jewish jewelry wholesaler, whom Youkilis has described as a "well-known third baseman in the Jewish Community Center fast-pitch softball league."

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 07:03 AM)
So is he gonna live in Skokie?

What is this...the 70's? Oy...if he wants to live with Members of the Tribe, he would move to Highland Park, Buffalo Grove, maybe even Deerfield...BUT NOT KENILWORTH!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
What is this...the 70's? Oy...if he wants to live with Members of the Tribe, he would move to Highland Park, Buffalo Grove, maybe even Deerfield...BUT NOT KENILWORTH!

As a 22 year resident of Buffalo Grove, I approve this (part of the) message.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
Please don't suck.

This. I will not get my hopes up that he can be anynear the Youkilis of what is now several seasons ago, I know first hand that age can be a b****. I just hope that he has somewhat of a resurgence and is not now permanently at the Morel / Hudson level. I would be happy if Youkilis could hit 230 - 240ish, take a few walks, and play somewhere around average defense. That's a significant improvement over what we've had over at 3rd base in a long time. Anything better than that would be gravy.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 06:43 AM)
This. I will not get my hopes up that he can be anynear the Youkilis of what is now several seasons ago, I know first hand that age can be a b****. I just hope that he has somewhat of a resurgence and is not now permanently at the Morel / Hudson level. I would be happy if Youkilis could hit 230 - 240ish, take a few walks, and play somewhere around average defense. That's a significant improvement over what we've had over at 3rd base in a long time. Anything better than that would be gravy.

Yakkity Yack. Youk can do it. Newbie Youk, New Youk.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)

A first: The Sox were the first team in baseball history to use eight rookie pitchers in a game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The previous mark was the Tigers' seven on Sept. 7, 2003, in Toronto.

Haha, awesome, considering we won.