Men's Pole Vault Final 7pm

Women's Hammer Throw Final 7:35pm

Men's Soccer Bronze Match South Korea vs Japan 7:45pm

Women's 5000m Final 8:05pm

Women's 4x100m Relay Final 8:40pm

Women's 1500m Final (Morgan Uceny from Plymouth, IN) 8:55pm

Men's Basketball Semifinal USA vs Argentina 9pm

Men's 4x400m Relay Final 9:20pm

So listening to the coverage of the 200 finals last night, and all they could say was Bolt was the GOAT sprinter. I don't really agree with that. Michael Johnson lowered the world record by 0.4 sec in the Atlanta Olympics. He had literally no one to run with in the 200 and the 400. I would have loved to see those two run against each other in their primes in the 200.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
So listening to the coverage of the 200 finals last night, and all they could say was Bolt was the GOAT sprinter. I don't really agree with that. Michael Johnson lowered the world record by 0.4 sec in the Atlanta Olympics. He had literally no one to run with in the 200 and the 400. I would have loved to see those two run against each other in their primes in the 200.

Isn't "Holding the world record" the basic standard for GOAT?

Irish boxer John Joe Nevin defeated the Cuban world champion with a slick display earlier to proceed into the final. Sadly, Belfastman Paddy Barnes lost out to his Chinese opponent by a countback after a ferocious display. It was a really good fight with the final score level at 15-15. When these two met at the same stage in the last Olympics, Barnes was roundly beaten 15-0.

Michael Conlon faces another Cuban later this evening, also fighting for a final place. Should be a good fight, too.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
That's why I wish Bolt wouldn't give up at the end of races. I would like to see him run the fastest time possible.

Still. He was never as far ahead of the field as Johnson was in 1996. He just destroyed the field. He has been beaten.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Still. He was never as far ahead of the field as Johnson was in 1996. He just destroyed the field. He has been beaten.

One guy was closer, maybe Johnson didn't have any competition as good as Blake? The 3rd place finisher in '96 had a better time than 3rd place this year. Both Johnson & Bolt finished with the exact same time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
One guy was closer, maybe Johnson didn't have any competition as good as Blake? The 3rd place finisher in '96 had a better time than 3rd place this year. Both Johnson & Bolt finished with the exact same time.

Yeah 2nd was .36 behind, versus .12 yesterday.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
Was anybody in '96 as good as Yohan Blake? Maybe Johnson's victory margin had more to do with the lack of good competition?

No one was as good as Blake because Johnson was that far ahead of the rest of the world. He broke the world record by 0.4 second, which is insane in the 200 meters. The guy who won the Silver had a time that was better than the previous world record and still lost by .36 seconds. 4 guys went under 20 seconds yesterday, with a 5th right at it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
No one was as good as Blake because Johnson was that far ahead of the rest of the world. He broke the world record by 0.4 second, which is insane in the 200 meters. The guy who won the Silver had a time that was better than the previous world record and still lost by .36 seconds. 4 guys went under 20 seconds yesterday, with a 5th right at it.

Like I said earlier, I wish Bolt would have finished the race at full speed to see how fast he could have won by, his margin of victory may have been similar.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
I'm not understanding SS's argument. Since the field isn't as good Johnson looks better? How does that matter at all?

I think Blake being as fantastic as he is illustrates Bolt's greatness, as he makes one of the fastest men in history look like he has no chance out there.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
I'm not understanding SS's argument. Since the field isn't as good Johnson looks better? How does that matter at all?

I think in order to be considered the "Greatest of all time" there should be a bigger separation between you and your competition. First off Johnson not only won, but he demolished the world record by a huge margin. That was also reflected in his margin of victory being so much larger.

Just comparing times is an exercise in futility, because that just means it is the current record holder. Guys keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. I don't see that as being the only determining factor, otherwise a sports history is meaningless.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
I think in order to be considered the "Greatest of all time" there should be a bigger separation between you and your competition. First off Johnson not only won, but he demolished the world record by a huge margin. That was also reflected in his margin of victory being so much larger.

Just comparing times is an exercise in futility, because that just means it is the current record holder. Guys keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. I don't see that as being the only determining factor, otherwise a sports history is meaningless.

But the competition isn't always equal. If Yohan Blake ran in 1996, Johnson's margin of victory may have been shorter. And Bolt's margin of victory over 3rd place was larger than Johnson's.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
But the competition isn't always equal. If Yohan Blake ran in 1996, Johnson's margin of victory may have been shorter. And Bolt's margin of victory over 3rd place was larger than Johnson's.

Which is why the other consideration to me was the 0.4 seconds by which Johnson broke the world record in 1996.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Which is why the other consideration to me was the 0.4 seconds by which Johnson broke the world record in 1996.

True, but OTOH it's not like the world record has been progressing lower over the past 16 years as athletes have been evolving. Bolt is the only runner who has been able to beat 19.32, which just shows how he impressive he is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)

Usain Bolt beats records while cruising. Come on now. He is the fastest human being ever. Just WATCH him run when he's actually trying. His acceleration and top speed is unmatched by anyone ever. Yohan Blake is an incredible runner and Bolt makes him look like he doesn't have a chance.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
True, but OTOH it's not like the world record has been progressing lower over the past 16 years as athletes have been evolving. Bolt is the only runner who has been able to beat 19.32, which just shows how he impressive he is.

I'm not saying that Bolt isn't impressive. I'm just saying what Johnson did was more incredible, at least to me.

It is also worth pointing out since the 96 Olympics, all of the fastest 200 meter times in history have been since 1996. After Johnson and Fredricks broke the old record, that 19.72 has been topped 6 more times.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm not saying that Bolt isn't impressive. I'm just saying what Johnson did was more incredible, at least to me.

It is also worth pointing out since the 96 Olympics, all of the fastest 200 meter times in history have been since 1996. After Johnson and Fredricks broke the old record, that 19.72 has been topped 6 more times.

I look at a stat like that and think "doping".