2012 Summer Olympics Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
What a stupid f***ing tiebreaker. Basically whoever has the lowest score on a routine wins if there is a tie? That makes no damn sense.

It kind of does, it rewards the person who had the best 2 scores. I can see the argument go both ways, but by rewarding this, you reward the best scores vs. the consistent but maybe not as elite score.

Sucks for either girl, but they both controlled there destiny and had made costly mistakes.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Gabby Douglas was a joy to watch tonight. It was a compelling show with the Russian runnerup devastated when the results were announced.

The Russian girl was clutch on the floor routine. She did a great job knowing she had to be nearly flawless to get the gold. She still fell short, but it was an impressive performance under pressure.

FYI tennis isn't subject to spoilers because they're not showing it in primetime yet. Maybe they'll show a few games of the gold medal matches in prime time, but that's pretty much done. Anything shown live on TV in the afternoon isn't subject to spoilers because they're not saving that stuff.

Olympic boxing is an absolute joke. Errol Spence from the USA just absolutely dominated the Indian fighter he fought today yet somehow the judges give the fight to the Indian fighter. Insanely corrupt sport and the judges in the Olympics seemingly award fighters for running away rather than engaging.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Olympic boxing is an absolute joke. Errol Spence from the USA just absolutely dominated the Indian fighter he fought today yet somehow the judges give the fight to the Indian fighter. Insanely corrupt sport and the judges in the Olympics seemingly award fighters for running away rather than engaging.

Wasn't there also a guy that was on the mat 6 times in one round, then won that round and the fight?

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Because if Komova doesn't needlessly take 3 steps off the landing she wins the gold. She was so much better than Gabby on the uneven bars and especially floor routine.

Honestly, and I have nothing against Gabby Douglas, but she was really lucky throughout this Olympics. First Wieber gets screwed by the judges allowing her to qualify, and then all her real competition for the gold each make one big catastrophic error.

Luck, schmuck. The Sox were lucky in 05 as well. I know what you are saying, though. Everything fell in line for Gabby and she took advantage and won it fair and square. That's sports, though. We get the gold.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
The Russian girl was clutch on the floor routine. She did a great job knowing she had to be nearly flawless to get the gold. She still fell short, but it was an impressive performance under pressure.

I agree. I felt sad for her. I was just pointing out the tears were poignant as she sat in the corner on the floor crying. I'm surprised nobody consoled her. She should be proud. I guess it's gold or nothing in Ruskieville still.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
I agree. I felt sad for her. I was just pointing out the tears were poignant as she sat in the corner on the floor crying. I'm surprised nobody consoled her. She should be proud. I guess it's gold or nothing in Ruskieville still.

Assuming it was the same girl...after the balance beam, her coach tried to come over to her and she pushed him away.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
Wasn't there also a guy that was on the mat 6 times in one round, then won that round and the fight?

Yes (but the result was overturned), it is pretty incredible that Olympic boxing is significantly more corrupt than professional boxing.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Errol Spence is back in the tournament, the result of his fight was overturned. When your sport has had multiple results overturned in the same Olympics, there is something seriously wrong with your judging.

I love boxing but I can't stand olympic boxing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Errol Spence is back in the tournament, the result of his fight was overturned. When your sport has had multiple results overturned in the same Olympics, there is something seriously wrong with your judging.

The announcers for the other match that was overturned were even saying as the results were announced that this is why the sport is considered a joke.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
The announcers for the other match that was overturned were even saying as the results were announced that this is why the sport is considered a joke.

Teddy Atlas has been going off about it all olympics so far.