2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)
He still wouldn't have to extend here. He can still be a free agent in one season. The Bulls are still too conservative to risk it.

Dwight to the Bulls ended long ago. He'll probably toil in Golden State for a season and wind up signing a free agent deal with some team that annoys me.

Are the Lakers still in on Howard? They make the most sense for both teams, IF Howard signs an extension. I don't see them giving up Bynum for a rental.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Are the Lakers still in on Howard? They make the most sense for both teams, IF Howard signs an extension. I don't see them giving up Bynum for a rental.

But Dwight doesn't wanna extend in LA!

DwightHoward-328x234.jpg

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
...What a terrible FA period this has been for the Bulls so far, lol

They have NO MONEY. What do you expect them to do? They can only offer the low mid level exception. It's basically wait for all these players to try to get a legit contract, then a mid-level exception ($5 mil), and then once they realize no one wants them, it's time to feast on the garbage remains with the low mid-level ($3.09 mil).

This isn't an offseason where the Bulls can do much unless they make a trade, and the chances of that flew out the window when the NBA Draft ended.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
I was hoping for some GM magic wizard trick, a S & T, something...

As usual the impediment seems to be that nobody wants to come here

That's not the case at all. The Bulls can't afford anyone.

K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop

Add two names to Bulls' free-agent possibles: Michael Redd and Jerryd Bayless, who just became a UFA after Toronto pulled qualifying offer.

Yikes, Jerryd Bayless. He no shoot too well.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Really? If we get rid of CJ, Brewer and Korver we have a good chunk of money to throw at someone who could be a starter for us

I believe your statement to be incorrect and it's probably already been proven by Zoom or Balta directly to you multiple times.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Really? If we get rid of CJ, Brewer and Korver we have a good chunk of money to throw at someone who could be a starter for us

That's not remotely correct. If they got rid of those guys, the Bulls might be able to get under the luxury tax line, which would save them quite a bit of money now and in the future.

For them to have any more than the MLE (about $5 mil, probably not going to get far enough under to use it) or mini-MLE (about $3 mil), they'd have to get rid of basically every player not named Rose, Noah or possibly Deng depending on how much money you want.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
That's not remotely correct. If they got rid of those guys, the Bulls might be able to get under the luxury tax line, which would save them quite a bit of money now and in the future.

For them to have any more than the MLE (about $5 mil, probably not going to get far enough under to use it) or mini-MLE (about $3 mil), they'd have to get rid of basically every player not named Rose, Noah or possibly Deng depending on how much money you want.

The one thing the Bulls can do is use Hamilton, Brewer, Korver, and CJ as "expiring contracts" to take on an expensive or bad or long term deal in a trade...but I'm not sure that's even enough to match Joe Johnson. Which means the Bulls would also have to give up something useful if they want to trade for someone.

Hamilton isn't an expiring contract, didn't he sign with us for 3 years?

Nick Young just signed a 1yr/6mil contract. I find it hard to believe the Bulls couldn't have made that work somehow. I'm not a huge fan of his but he's cheap and he can score.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
There've been rumors that they were pursuing Courtney Lee, obviously he's worth more than the minm MLE, so obviously they are working on pulling off some magic wizard trick. Maybe a S& T

Not really. They're probably offering him their $3 mil exception and hoping it works.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Hamilton isn't an expiring contract, didn't he sign with us for 3 years?

Nick Young just signed a 1yr/6mil contract. I find it hard to believe the Bulls couldn't have made that work somehow. I'm not a huge fan of his but he's cheap and he can score.

They would have to cut like $30 million from their payroll to be far enough under the cap to match that $6 million offer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop

Add two names to Bulls' free-agent possibles: Michael Redd and Jerryd Bayless, who just became a UFA after Toronto pulled qualifying offer.

Yikes, Jerryd Bayless. He no shoot too well.

He's still very young (24) and has ridiculous athleticism and can drive the ball very well in the paint just like Rose. Unfortunately, that's where the comparisons end.

Never thought I would be so excited about getting Kirk f***ing Hinrich but with all these other options we have, Kirk might be the best NBA-ready PG we could realistically get for the money we're offering

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
There's some grumblings that the Bulls might match the Asik offer. Shoot me in the f***ing eyeball if that happens.

I'll stand behind you

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Never thought I would be so excited about getting Kirk f***ing Hinrich but with all these other options we have, Kirk might be the best NBA-ready PG we could realistically get for the money we're offering

He has too much interest from other teams. He'll get more than the MLE. Unless he wants to take a Chicago discount, but i'm not sure why he would.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
He has too much interest from other teams. He'll get more than the MLE. Unless he wants to take a Chicago discount, but i'm not sure why he would.

I can't believe Kirk Hinrich is getting $5 mil a year from some team