2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
Yep, get him in Chicago, let him see the UC (and let him play half a year without Rose where hell be the man), and then see if he wants to stay.

As long as you dont have to move Noah, it really shouldnt matter.

I've heard in the past that Adidas doesn't want both (Rose/Howard) of them in the same city, anyone else hear this?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
It's not happening so might as well not even waste a thought on it. Bulls know they have to stay conservative, they're of the mindset that I share, which is that this is a championship contending core that only needs health and a run of good luck to contend. They know they need to make some changes but they're in no rush to do it, and certainly aren't going to make panic moves.

Do the Bulls live in a vacuum and we're not aware of it?

When you say they need "health and a run of good luck" to "contend" that's saying a LOT. This team has not shown any ability to stay healthy, and what is the good luck? LBJ and Wade getting hurt?

The Bulls are not adding any impact players, their competition is. The Bulls players may be getting a year more experience, but so is everyone else in the NBA. There is nothing the Bulls have done that puts them in front of the Heat, or the Lakers, or the Thunder. They are staying at the same level or getting worse (losing Asik, Rip's a year older, etc.)

If the Bulls keep this same team, they won't win anything without some serious "luck" as you stated. They might as well try to go after Howard, hope he resigns, and then they can rely on talent, instead of "luck", to win a championship.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
If the Bulls keep this same team, they won't win anything without some serious "luck" as you stated. They might as well try to go after Howard, hope he resigns, and then they can rely on talent, instead of "luck", to win a championship.

Doesn't make much sense to me to go after Howard without an extension when there's no guarantee Rose will play at all during the 1 year the team would actually have him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Doesn't make much sense to me to go after Howard without an extension when there's no guarantee Rose will play at all during the 1 year the team would actually have him.

If the other pieces of the vaunted "core"(Noah and Deng) are traded for Howard, and Howard doesnt stay, the Bulls have a hell of a lot of room to go out and build around him. To be honest, right now I would prefer going into 2013-2014 like that than I would going in saying "PLEASE STAY HEALTHY ROSE DENG AND NOAH WHO NEVER STAY HEALTHY AT THE SAME TIME"

Do the Bulls live in a vacuum and we're not aware of it?

When you say they need "health and a run of good luck" to "contend" that's saying a LOT. This team has not shown any ability to stay healthy, and what is the good luck? LBJ and Wade getting hurt?

Yes, LBJ and Wade getting hurt would be lucky for us. If you look at the Heats title run, an amazing amount of lucky happenings aided them.

1. Derrick Rose got hurt, taking the Bulls out of contention

2. Dwight Howard got hurt, taking the Magic out of contention.

3. Ray Allen and Avery Bradley got injured, severely weakening the Celtics.

4. Spurs and Lakers got eliminated, either one of them might have given the Heat a better fight than the inexperienced OKC team

5. Shane Battier, Mike Miller and Mario Chalmers got hot.

Health/good luck is needed for any title run, Bulls just have not had it the past 2 years.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
Yes, LBJ and Wade getting hurt would be lucky for us. If you look at the Heats title run, an amazing amount of lucky happenings aided them.

1. Derrick Rose got hurt, taking the Bulls out of contention

2. Dwight Howard got hurt, taking the Magic out of contention.

3. Ray Allen and Avery Bradley got injured, severely weakening the Celtics.

4. Spurs and Lakers got eliminated, either one of them might have given the Heat a better fight than the inexperienced OKC team

5. Shane Battier, Mike Miller and Mario Chalmers got hot.

Health/good luck is needed for any title run, Bulls just have not had it the past 2 years.

LMAO, the Spurs and Lakers got eliminated in short order by that same OKC team that got steamrolled by the heat.

You just cannot admit it, the Heat are the best team in the league. Regardless of what happened to Derrick.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
OKC only won one game against the Heat, do you think the Spurs or Lakers couldn't have done at least that?

It's not as simpel as saying Heat > OKC > Spurs therefore Heat > Spurs

It also isnt as simple as saying "Derrick got hurt, Howard got hurt, Spurs and Lakers lost, Mario chalmers got hot, and that makes the Heat not as good as everyone thinks"

Again, the Heat rolled the postseason. No matter what caveats you want to throw in there, they won it all, beat everyone in front of them. If the Spurs and Lakers would have been such a great matchup, then they should have beaten the Thunder.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
I'm just saying good luck played a huge part in the Heat winning. And it could play a huge part in us winning.

Luck is a factor in all sports, its a factor in every victory or defeat.

Yeah, luck and having 3 top 15 players in the NBA. Something you refuse to acknowledge

Continuity is severely underrated on this board in basketball. The bulls staying pat with this team and then having a bunch of expiring contracts in 2014 really isn't an awful idea. If you shake up this team while rose recovers, the only thing to do is gamble, take a bunch of s***ty expiring contracts and hope to get a really great draft that you have the lottery pick in, in addition to 2015 when you (likely) have a lottery pick plus mirotic coming. But that sends a terrible message to your superstar. The bulls team is really good. They play excellent defense. Look at the runs that memphis and the sixers made relying only on defense.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Continuity is severely underrated on this board in basketball. The bulls staying pat with this team and then having a bunch of expiring contracts in 2014 really isn't an awful idea. If you shake up this team while rose recovers, the only thing to do is gamble, take a bunch of s***ty expiring contracts and hope to get a really great draft that you have the lottery pick in, in addition to 2015 when you (likely) have a lottery pick plus mirotic coming. But that sends a terrible message to your superstar. The bulls team is really good. They play excellent defense. Look at the runs that memphis and the sixers made relying only on defense.

The Bulls team you knew is not going to be the same next season. The bench mob will be quite different

Thank you, Amen.

I'm indifferent to which approach to take, I see merit in both ways. But lets not act that either way is a certainty. Nothing is for certain. Bulls could get better if they blow it up now, or we could get worse.

I know that the Bulls FO is better than making a panic move like this now. They will retool, but they will do it slowly. Boozer gone after this year is a great start.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
The Bulls team you knew is not going to be the same next season. The bench mob will be quite different

This doesn't matter to me 1/64th as much as "different starting point guard on opening night".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
This doesn't matter to me 1/64th as much as "different starting point guard on opening night".

Of course, but that is a given. I'm not going to point out something that is that obvious.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
I know that the Bulls FO is better than making a panic move like this now. They will retool, but they will do it slowly. Boozer gone after this year is a great start.

Sadly, this really isn't true unless the Bulls can make other moves. Amnesthitizing Boozer doesn't get the Bulls anywhere near under the cap, doesn't set the Bulls up to sign anyone other than the MLE level, and as long as he continues playing, makes the actual team on the floor worse.

If the Bulls can clear Deng and Noah as well, then amnesthitizing Boozer could actually be useful. Until that happens, all it does is save the Chairman some money on the Luxury tax and make the Bulls have the full MLE instead of the mini-MLE (can offer one $5 million deal instead of 1 $3 million deal).

In 2 years we can hypothetically have Boozer gone, Deng gone, and Rip gone. CJ Watsons contract is replaced by Hinrich's, and Ronnie Brewers 4 million, let's say that goes to Roses extension so he earns around 19 million per year, right?

We can have around $30 million off the cap in 2 years, roughly.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
In 2 years we can hypothetically have Boozer gone, Deng gone, and Rip gone. CJ Watsons contract is replaced by Hinrich's, and Ronnie Brewers 4 million, let's say that goes to Roses extension so he earns around 19 million per year, right?

So you are assuming Taj is gone, Asik is not matched, correct?

So even in your own scenario, this core that you want to keep so bad this season is going to be broken apart within 2 years?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)

My immediate question in reply is what you managed to trade Deng for that brought back no salary.

So you are assuming Taj is gone, Asik is not matched, correct?

So even in your own scenario, this core that you want to keep so bad this season is going to be broken apart within 2 years?

I will assume that Asik is not matched and Taj is resigned. He's not gonna get anything more than 8 mill per year, thats worst case scenario. So Bulls stand to have about $21-$24 million off the cap in 2 years?

somewhere around there, correct me if I'm wrong

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
I will assume that Asik is not matched and Taj is resigned. He's not gonna get anything more than 8 mill per year, thats worst case scenario. So Bulls stand to have about $21-$24 million off the cap in 2 years?

somewhere around there, correct me if I'm wrong

If the Bulls shed Deng with no salary return, remove Boozer, and sign no one, their roster will consist of Rose, Noah, Gibson, Butler, Teague, and the next 2 draft picks.

Rose will be close to $19 million. Noah $13.5 million, $8 million for Gibson per your numbers. Butler, Teague, and 2 more picks in the bottom of the draft will lock up close to $5 million as well, although those picks could be given away or Butler could not be given a qualifying offer.

That puts the Bulls at $45.5 million, not enough to offer a max deal, but enough to offer a $15 million or so deal if the cap moves up a bit, which is what Boozer is being paid. They could come up with a little extra space by letting Butler walk as a FA and by trading away a draft pick along with Deng to get another block off the roster.

If they take back a draft pick for Deng, that would be an additional couple million depending on the pick, unless it comes in the 2015 offseason or later.