2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
I will assume that Asik is not matched and Taj is resigned. He's not gonna get anything more than 8 mill per year, thats worst case scenario. So Bulls stand to have about $21-$24 million off the cap in 2 years?

somewhere around there, correct me if I'm wrong

The CSN guy said the Bulls are not matching Asik's offer may go after a Nazr Mohammed.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
The Bulls team you knew is not going to be the same next season. The bench mob will be quite different

Those changes mean little. Another year of chemistry among rose/Noah is great. Butler easily replaces brewer. The roles are not shaken up, save hinrich once rose is back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
If the other pieces of the vaunted "core"(Noah and Deng) are traded for Howard, and Howard doesnt stay, the Bulls have a hell of a lot of room to go out and build around him. To be honest, right now I would prefer going into 2013-2014 like that than I would going in saying "PLEASE STAY HEALTHY ROSE DENG AND NOAH WHO NEVER STAY HEALTHY AT THE SAME TIME"

This is how I feel. Everyone is basically saying the Bulls cant beat the Heat as currently constructed, which appears to be true. So why not roll the dice on a deal if it will clear some of the contracts that are preventing the Bulls from acquiring another star to play with Rose. If and when Dwight leaves at least the Bulls will have some financial flexibility to explore other options instead of adding Kirk Hinrich and calling it an offseason. I like Deng and Noah but theyre both overpaid and are handicapping the roster.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Do the Bulls live in a vacuum and we're not aware of it?

When you say they need "health and a run of good luck" to "contend" that's saying a LOT. This team has not shown any ability to stay healthy, and what is the good luck? LBJ and Wade getting hurt?

The Bulls are not adding any impact players, their competition is. The Bulls players may be getting a year more experience, but so is everyone else in the NBA. There is nothing the Bulls have done that puts them in front of the Heat, or the Lakers, or the Thunder. They are staying at the same level or getting worse (losing Asik, Rip's a year older, etc.)

If the Bulls keep this same team, they won't win anything without some serious "luck" as you stated. They might as well try to go after Howard, hope he resigns, and then they can rely on talent, instead of "luck", to win a championship.

If Rose was 100% and hadn't gotten hurt, I wouldn't have major issues and I fully believe the Bulls would have been willing to land another player (whether Hinrich or someone else on an MLE) in addition to keeping Korver/Asik. The thing that throws everything off is Rose's injury situation.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
If the other pieces of the vaunted "core"(Noah and Deng) are traded for Howard, and Howard doesnt stay, the Bulls have a hell of a lot of room to go out and build around him. To be honest, right now I would prefer going into 2013-2014 like that than I would going in saying "PLEASE STAY HEALTHY ROSE DENG AND NOAH WHO NEVER STAY HEALTHY AT THE SAME TIME"

Which is why I say go for it. You either get Howard or you get cap space to build when Rose is hopefully back at 100% for the 2013-2014 season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
LMAO, the Spurs and Lakers got eliminated in short order by that same OKC team that got steamrolled by the heat.

You just cannot admit it, the Heat are the best team in the league. Regardless of what happened to Derrick.

I actually don't think the Heat got better. Wade is a year older and slower and a lot can happen with Ray Allen (whom I like a lot). They got hot at the right time and are a great team (and LBJ is amazing). However, I don't believe they are this unstoppable force. To be frank, the West is still relatively winnable. The Nets aren't better then a Bulls team with Rose at 75%, neither are the Knicks, imo. The Celtics are probably similar (and they aren't a title team) and the Pacers are a little better. East still has just one contender (the defending champs). Thunder will get better (young players blossoming), Lakers got better. Spurs have not gotten better. Dallas is worse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
No matter what, at least one of Noah/Deng would have to go. Whether it is to the Magic or a 3rd team. Bulls would need to move one of those contracts (along with other guys) to get the salaries to balance out. Bulls have a lot of potential assets to offer and quite frankly better draft picks to offer then the Nets. And if Dwight walks, like I said, Bulls are in a spot where they can then amnesty Boozer and make a few other deals and they'd be in a pretty darn good spot.

Yes and yes!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
I actually don't think the Heat got better. Wade is a year older and slower and a lot can happen with Ray Allen (whom I like a lot). They got hot at the right time and are a great team (and LBJ is amazing). However, I don't believe they are this unstoppable force. To be frank, the West is still relatively winnable. The Nets aren't better then a Bulls team with Rose at 75%, neither are the Knicks, imo. The Celtics are probably similar (and they aren't a title team) and the Pacers are a little better. East still has just one contender (the defending champs). Thunder will get better (young players blossoming), Lakers got better. Spurs have not gotten better. Dallas is worse.

These two players arent the concern though(although Wade is definitely a great player). As long as LBJ is healthy, they are to be considered the favorite until someone can knock them off their perch. LBJ conquered his playoff/finals demons last season, and we all saw what happened when MJ did that. It didnt matter who was surrounding him besides Pippen, they were going to win.

Sitting around and hoping that the "core" gets healthy, stays healthy, and gets better in the next two years while every other team is actively trying to get better is really a piss poor plan.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
These two players arent the concern though(although Wade is definitely a great player). As long as LBJ is healthy, they are to be considered the favorite until someone can knock them off their perch. LBJ conquered his playoff/finals demons last season, and we all saw what happened when MJ did that. It didnt matter who was surrounding him besides Pippen, they were going to win.

Sitting around and hoping that the "core" gets healthy, stays healthy, and gets better in the next two years while every other team is actively trying to get better is really a piss poor plan.

I believe Kaplan came up with idea a while ago saying Bulls should trade for Howard and worst case scenario if he doesn't sign extension you have bunch of cap space to work with, then I'd try to do everything I can to bring in Love if he is available. I hear him and Rose are good buddies.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
I believe Kaplan came up with idea a while ago saying Bulls should trade for Howard and worst case scenario if he doesn't sign extension you have bunch of cap space to work with, then I'd try to do everything I can to bring in Love if he is available. I hear him and Rose are good buddies.

Kevin Love isn't a free agent for at least 3 more years, and if you trade for Dwight you wouldn't have any assets to get him in the event the T-Wolves decide to trade him rather than lose him for nothing.

There are several problems with this approach:

1) Every Dwight trade scenario has them taking back at least one bad contract. So even with Noah, Deng and Boozer gone, you're probably going to have a fair amount of money tied up in Rose, Gibson, someone like Jason Richardson, and a few draft picks.

2) You would need to add one really good player or two solid ones (one of which needs to be a center) to be any more than a 5 seed.

3) At least for next year, the two best players on the market wouldn't really be options. Dwight would have theoreticallly decided that he doesn't want to be a Bull and they're not going to sign another PG in Chris Paul. That leaves guys like Bynum and Harden as the best options, who are solid but not top-10 players, and they'd both eat most of their cap room to get another solid player.

That's basically my problem with this; if they do it and Dwight decides he isn't staying, they have to pull off some kind of miracle to avoid being the Cavs 2.0.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Kevin Love isn't a free agent for at least 3 more years, and if you trade for Dwight you wouldn't have any assets to get him in the event the T-Wolves decide to trade him rather than lose him for nothing.

1) Every Dwight trade scenario has them taking back at least one bad contract. So even with Noah, Deng and Boozer gone, you're probably going to have a fair amount of money tied up in Rose, Gibson, someone like Jason Richardson, and a few draft picks.

2) You would need to add one really good player or two solid ones (one of which needs to be a center) to be any more than a 5 seed.

3) At least for next year, the two best players on the market wouldn't really be options. Dwight would have theoreticallly decided that he doesn't want to be a Bull and they're not going to sign another PG in Chris Paul. That leaves guys like Bynum and Harden as the best options, who are solid but not top-10 players, and they'd both eat most of their cap room to get another solid player.

That's basically my problem with this; if they do it and Dwight decides he isn't staying, they have to pull off some kind of miracle to avoid being the Cavs 2.0.

Rose-Harden-Richardson-Gibson-Bynum would be a pretty damn nice lineup.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Rose-Harden-Richardson-Gibson-Bynum would be a pretty damn nice lineup.

There isn't a chance in hell you'd be able to sign both of those guys, nowhere near enough cap space.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

God that's a horrible idea; you don't want to be listening to Kaplan on NBA advice.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
There isn't a chance in hell you'd be able to sign both of those guys, nowhere near enough cap space.

Your post made it seem like you were referring to the collective as eating "most" of the cap, not just one. My bad.

Why can't the Bulls sign three max contracts when Miami can?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
Your post made it seem like you were referring to the collective as eating "most" of the cap, not just one. My bad.

Didn't they agree to take a pay cut in order to pay together?

I haven't watched much TV yesterday and just turned it on.. Are they really working on a trade now that would send Howard to the Lakers? And some of you guys wanna keep our core and wait for Derrick to get healthy? Wowza.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)

This is the NBA. If Love told the Wolves trade me to the Bulls, they pretty much have to.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)
You know it.

Bulls set to appear in summer League games on NBA TV starting July 17. Teague will play, as will Leon Powe and Jermaine Taylor.

I was mocking the idea of judging a guy on 5 summer league quarters. You might as well judge him on the length of his warm up pants.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)

Miami didn't. All three signed for under the max to make things work.