2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
That never stopped a certain PG who played for the Jazz...

did that certain PG float around europe for the first three seasons of his career?

There are exceptions, and there are rules.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
I agree that they can run these sets, but I don't think that makes you a better team.

To me, having a backup PG fill the SG role is not ideal, and is not going to put the bulls over the hump.

Hinrich is a declining PG, who can still shoot the 3, but is not good at creating his own shot, and doesn't bring much except an additional ball handler. To be honest, if you could take away injury concerns, I'd rather have Rip playing the 2 rather than Hinrich, so I don't see this as an upgrade at the 2 at all.

Teague may turn out to be an excellent player, and maybe he can become what the bulls need. He will be an undersized SG for sure. There is also a reason he was drafted so low. Him developing into the player the Bulls need is a long shot. It happens, but it's no way a guarantee.

I also understand that there are not many if any playmakers available, or starting SG's. But I would not say that any of their moves this off season are any different than previous years. I don't see signing backup PG's as something to be excited about or show me they are moving in a "new" direction.

I don't think it's something to be excited about, but the bulls had no room to change this year. Pretty clearly, they want to stay afloat until Derrick returns to get one last run with this group. I was happy Teague fell to us, but I'm not sure how much he can contribute his first year. I think PG is the hardest transition HS to college and he showed great improvement from the early part of the year. He can slash and get to the hoop, and we need that from our PG position because no other positions can.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Match and trade sounds good to me. I'm not going to freak out about this like I'm sure 75% of Bulls fandom will.

They can't trade a guy once he gets an offer sheet. That's why Brooklyn panicked and overpaid Brook Lopez. I believe it's 6 months from the time of the signing until they can trade him again.

They can't trade a guy once he gets an offer sheet. That's why Brooklyn panicked and overpaid Brook Lopez. I believe it's 6 months from the time of the signing until they can trade him again.

6 months sounds good to me. The point is, I think, to eventually trade him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
did that certain PG float around europe for the first three seasons of his career?

There are exceptions, and there are rules.

We weren't debating actual talent, you posted that being 6'1 was a detriment for a PG and I posted that 6'1 doesn't have to be. Stockton was 6'1 and was the great PG this side of Magic.

Do I think Beverly can be Stockton? Of course not but being 6'1 shouldn't be the end all, hopefully this kid can contribute off the bench because obviously he's got handles judging by that video and we need more ball handlers.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
We weren't debating actual talent, you posted that being 6'1 was a detriment for a PG and I posted that 6'1 doesn't have to be. Stockton was 6'1 and was the great PG this side of Magic.

Do I think Beverly can be Stockton? Of course not but being 6'1 shouldn't be the end all, hopefully this kid can contribute off the bench because obviously he's got handles judging by that video and we need more ball handlers.

Hey, you made the comparison, not me.

It is a detriment, players in the NBA are bigger . Like I said, Stockton was an exception not the rule.

There is a reason the kid hasnt played in the NBA since he was drafted

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
6 months sounds good to me. The point is, I think, to eventually trade him.

It's actually a year upon further research on Larry Coon's awesome FAQ for the CBA:

If the team matches an offer sheet and retains their free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to an offer sheet. They also can't trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction.

At that point, the team that takes him would be on the hook for 2 years and $20 mil. That's a horrible contract and I have a hard time believing they would get legitimate talent back for him.

We might get lucky and Beverly becomes our John Starks :lolhitting

Anyways, interesting read the last few pages, I agree with Rzzza that we shouldn't blow it up, make a few adjustments and get that second star for DRose. If the Bulls were relatively healthy, they could've competed against Miami, especially when Bosh went down.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
It's actually a year upon further research on Larry Coon's awesome FAQ for the CBA:

At that point, the team that takes him would be on the hook for 2 years and $20 mil. That's a horrible contract and I have a hard time believing they would get legitimate talent back for him.

Good lord, please don't do this bulls. Please.

You are right, I will amend that to say "I am sure it involves an awesome offseason of Hinrich, Korver, Beverley, and Ridnour"

Hey, stop whining :) We're having a crappy year, all of us know this.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Three comments...

1) The Bulls also bricked a ton of outside shots in that series. Bogans and Korver were essentially useless, bricking wide-open 3's all series. If they had hit a few of those, the series would not have ended in 5.

2) I never said they need another Kyle Korver. What they need is a 2-guard (not a backup PG that is never going to be on the floor at the same time as Derrick) that can do a little bit of everything. The ability to stretch the floor is important because otherwise you get teams successfully packing the paint like the Heat did in that playoff series, and they need at least some ability to get decent shots in one-on-one situations.

That's very different from getting a pure driver that needs the ball to be effective and would take the ball out of Derrick's hands.

3) The Thunder are basically what you want, but it has very little to do with having additional ball-handlers. Their wing players aren't Tyreke Evans or Monta Ellis types that have to play on the ball to be effective.

Durant isn't a guy that dominates the ball looking for driving opportunities. He gets a ton of catch and shoot looks and drives when the opportunity presents itself. Harden is similar. He's not going to get 6 attempts at the rim per game, virtually half his FG attempts are 3's. He drives enough to get to the line and make people respect the threat that he'll go by them.

Unfortunately, those kind of multi-talented players aren't very easy to find.

1) The good ol' what if scenario. Bricking open shots happens in every game, every series, more often than you think. If three point shooting was a huge part of your offense, you are bound to have nights like that. It's pretty simple, the Bulls weren't going to win that series with the rest of that team if Rose was shut down. Suppose even if the shooters caught fire, they were still going to put Lebron Rose. With Lebron on Rose, and without that missing guy to run and create the offense, Bulls had no shot.

2) Sounds like you are talking about Ben Gordon or JJ Reddick. While I do see your point, I think the first need for that missing piece is ball handling and scoring, much like Durant and Harden, and the secondnary need is the three point shot. I think you are looking for a guy with shooting as a primary shooting, who can do a bit of scoring and handling, though I don't think that would be as good a fit and as effective in this system.

3) While we don't need a guy like Durant for us to beat the Heat, the guy we need isn't as easy to obtain as we would like, if it was easy, we would have gotten him already. I see guys like Harden Ginobili, the Joe Johnson from two years ago, and even Mayo or Thornton as great fits for the team. They also happen to be scorer first and shooter second.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

Rose did not play well in any game besides the 1st game in that Heat series. So to paraphrase his struggles as "putting Lebron on him" is a vast oversimplification and gives far too much credit to Lebron.

Look at his series stats, he went 7-23 in game 2. He went 8-27 in game 4. He went 9 for 29 in game 5.

Lebron was on him, what, maybe 3 or 4 minutes TOTAL in the whole series? And only at the end of games?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
That was also 20 years ago when 6'1" was normal for a PG.

Oh stop it.

The NBA hasn't changed that much sizewise. Rondo is 6'1 and Paul is 6'0 and they are pretty good PGs.

The PG position is still a position where you can have small guys be effective. Most of them fall in the 6'0-6'4 range, being 6'1 shouldn't be a liability as long as you got handles and can see the floor, which shouldn't be a problem because PGs usually defend PGs.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1