2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
I get the notion that the Bulls feel like they have invested so much time into him, that they don't want to see him blossum somewhere else, but it just doesn't make sense to me, especially with Taj coming up for a contract.

Like it or not, he's still a 26 year old 7 footer who can play solid defense, and there aren't a whole lot of those in the league. He's been in there 2 years, so he still might wlel have room for his offensive game to grow.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
I get the notion that the Bulls feel like they have invested so much time into him, that they don't want to see him blossum somewhere else, but it just doesn't make sense to me, especially with Taj coming up for a contract.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that Taj > Asik.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Like it or not, he's still a 26 year old 7 footer who can play solid defense, and there aren't a whole lot of those in the league. He's been in there 2 years, so he still might wlel have room for his offensive game to grow.

Celtics got Greg Stiemsma for basically 0. His per was 13.62 last year (Asik's was 13.44)

The problem with the NBA is that if the guy isnt well scouted in college, many NBA teams just wont even look at them. With Asik's lack of improvement on the offensive end, there is just no way to justify this contract. There are a handful of NCAA players each year who are 7 feet or so that arent even drafted, who can just be a body in the middle.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
I just hope they have a plan. I totally understand the 2012-2013 season. They know its lost, and they don't want to spend the money on veterans for nothing. That makes sense to me. BUT, what do you do with the team when Rose does come back? If you expect him to be superman and carry the entire team, with the Heat, Nets, and whoever else, that isn't going to work

In my opinion the Bulls should be focusing on 3 years from now.

Next year is likely wasted as Rose is going to be fresh off of injury. 2 years from now will be Rose's first full year so you cant expect to much. 3 years from now is when its likely the Bulls can make a good run, and that also will hopefully coincide with Wade starting to break down.

Which is why I think the bulls should really just move people and start getting picks, etc. Hopefully hit on 1 and use the others to trade for 1 other superstar to put with Rose/Noah/Taj.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Celtics got Greg Stiemsma for basically 0. His per was 13.62 last year (Asik's was 13.44)

The problem with the NBA is that if the guy isnt well scouted in college, many NBA teams just wont even look at them. With Asik's lack of improvement on the offensive end, there is just no way to justify this contract. There are a handful of NCAA players each year who are 7 feet or so that arent even drafted, who can just be a body in the middle.

Stiemsma actually had a lower DRating than Asik last year and Asik had a 92, which was one of the lowest in all of the NBA.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Read the threads, I was one of the people who was a huge Asik supporter, I didnt even want to trade him for OJ Mayo.

That being said, he is not worth the contract.

IMO, Omer is a very talent roll player. but he doesnt have the skill set to be a full time player and I dont want a back-up roll playing center to make $15m a year.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
I just hope they have a plan. I totally understand the 2012-2013 season. They know its lost, and they don't want to spend the money on veterans for nothing. That makes sense to me. BUT, what do you do with the team when Rose does come back? If you expect him to be superman and carry the entire team, with the Heat, Nets, and whoever else, that isn't going to work

Yep, the plan has to be to give yourself as much flexibility after this coming season to make necessary changes.

I have no idea what this stat means?

It doesn't mean much really. A lower D rating is better, but D rating is a stat that is influenced heavily by the other players on the team so it doesn't tell you much about individual defense

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

They are just downright stupid if they think he is ever going to blossom on the offensive end and that is the reason they are keeping him. When you are 26 years old, can't catch, have no post moves, and have no touch whatsoever you are never going to be competent on the offensive end of the court.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Check out this thread if you want a detailed break down of Asiks impact on the floor

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic....0&t=1191421

The problem with those stats is that there are no controls.

If Asik is on the floor with Taj, Deng and other good defenders obviously the defense numbers will be higher. Add to that Asik plays many minutes against the 2nd team, so once again his defensive numbers should be inflated.

Hes terrible on offense, and it adds to the Bulls struggles because they are playing 4 on 5, leaving a big to roam and double. A big reason why the bulls offense gets stagnant.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)

I've basically given up on Asik improving his offensive game, he has shown no signs he has any kind of.touch in the mid range game, he ALWAYS bring the ball down low when he gets O rebs and gets stripped and has hands made of concrete, always fumbling crisp passes.

He's not worth that contract, he'll always be a nice defender and rebounder and that's it.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1