2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone so concerned about the luxury tax? Be more concerned about how it handcuffs you with other moves. The Bulls have said JR will pay the tax, its not like its going to break them. They, according to Forbes, are one of the NBA's most profitable teams. They have averaged a $55 million profit a year for the last 5 years. And except for the winning, they ironic for JR, are the Cubs of the NBA. People will go no matter what. When they had the worst 4 year record in NBA history, they still were top 5 or 6 in attendance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Why is everyone so concerned about the luxury tax? Be more concerned about how it handcuffs you with other moves. The Bulls have said JR will pay the tax, its not like its going to break them. They, according to Forbes, are one of the NBA's most profitable teams. They have averaged a $55 million profit a year for the last 5 years. And except for the winning, they ironic for JR, are the Cubs of the NBA. People will go no matter what. When they had the worst 4 year record in NBA history, they still were top 5 or 6 in attendance.

To some extent it doesn't matter, but you don't want to end up paying 50 million dollars in a single season to keep your backup center around, all while being unable to acquire free agents.

I think JR would pay enormous taxes if he thought it was keeping a championship caliber team together. Paying these taxes to keep a run-of-the-mill backup center around is NOT the point of running a profitable franchise. Your front office has to be able to replace the Asik's of the world just as cheaply as he was acquired so you can invest in players that are harder to pull out of thin air.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
To some extent it doesn't matter, but you don't want to end up paying 50 million dollars in a single season to keep your backup center around, all while being unable to acquire free agents.

I think JR would pay enormous taxes if he thought it was keeping a championship caliber team together. Paying these taxes to keep a run-of-the-mill backup center around is NOT the point of running a profitable franchise. Your front office has to be able to replace the Asik's of the world just as cheaply as he was acquired so you can invest in players that are harder to pull out of thin air.

But that's not the case here. The Bulls were planning on matching Asik when it was assumed he'd get about $5 million a year. The only time this deal hampers what they were planning on doing is in year 3 when they are on the hook an additional $10 million. I understand Asiks value defensively, and he does set some screens offensively, but we all know the chances of him ever being worth $15 million are Chris Sale slim. My point is, the tax shouldn't be the issue, the issue should be how it hinders the Bulls making moves after the 2013-2014 season. If he's tradeable, and it won't hinder your movement or you can get a really nice player ,you might as well bring him back . If it means they can't bring in a guy like Kevin Love, then its a no brainer not to match.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
But that's not the case here. The Bulls were planning on matching Asik when it was assumed he'd get about $5 million a year. The only time this deal hampers what they were planning on doing is in year 3 when they are on the hook an additional $10 million. I understand Asiks value defensively, and he does set some screens offensively, but we all know the chances of him ever being worth $15 million are Chris Sale slim. My point is, the tax shouldn't be the issue, the issue should be how it hinders the Bulls making moves after the 2013-2014 season. If he's tradeable, and it won't hinder your movement or you can get a really nice player ,you might as well bring him back . If it means they can't bring in a guy like Kevin Love, then its a no brainer not to match.

Right. If it was a 2 year, 10 million deal the tax isn't going to affect the decision in all likelihood.

It's the fact that 3 years from now you're in the tax just based on a few starters plus your backup C. We're on the same page I think.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
I really don't think Asiks contract is going to prevent us from getting Kevin Love. People are probably overestimating the immovability of that contract.

$15 million in year 3? That's a million bucks for every minute he plays per game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 06:36 AM)
Hard for me to get excited about a 6'1" 185 lb player that hasnt even sniffed the NBA.

I know I'm late to the party on discussing Beverely (I've been celebrating my birthday the past couple days) but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in there.

To go along with the points made about Lin being waived a couple times, and the fact that 2 of the better PGs in the league are 6'0'' and 6'1" (Paul and Rondo). From all the reports I've read this guy is a real good scrappy defender, and he plays much bigger than his size. The guys a tremendous rebounder for someone his size, he lead Arkansas in rebounding his Sophomore year (6.6) including a 14 point 15 rebound game against LSU. In the Euro league he averaged 7 rebounds per game while averaging nearly 17ppg. Also not that it matters, he won the slam dunk competition out there as well so he can obviously play above the rim....All that said I think he's potentially more of a poor mans Rondo/Westbrook (smaller guys that play bigger than they are) than JL3 V2.

Only way he gets minutes though is if they plan on using Kirk at SG, which at this point in time is not a bad idea.

Right, it's not an immovable contract. It's 8 mil per year to every team except us, isn't it?

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Asik improves his offense a little within 3 years. In which case he'll easily be worth that amount of money on the open market.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
I know I'm late to the party on discussing Beverely (I've been celebrating my birthday the past couple days) but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in there.

To go along with the points made about Lin being waived a couple times, and the fact that 2 of the better PGs in the league are 6'0'' and 6'1" (Paul and Rondo). From all the reports I've read this guy is a real good scrappy defender, and he plays much bigger than his size. The guys a tremendous rebounder for someone his size, he lead Arkansas in rebounding his Sophomore year (6.6) including a 14 point 15 rebound game against LSU. In the Euro league he averaged 7 rebounds per game while averaging nearly 17ppg. Also not that it matters, he won the slam dunk competition out there as well so he can obviously play above the rim....All that said I think he's potentially more of a poor mans Rondo/Westbrook (smaller guys that play bigger than they are) than JL3 V2.

Only way he gets minutes though is if they plan on using Kirk at SG, which at this point in time is not a bad idea.

Again, you are comparing two elite players to a guy who hasn't gotten any play from the nba since he has been drafted. Some guy floating around the euro league dominating the power forward position isn't going to succeed at 6'4" because Charles Barkley did it. He is there for a reason

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
He's a good defender, a good ballhandler, he's athletic and can finish at the rim. What more do you need to know about him? Sign him up, he sounds like an improvement over Lucas already.

Why hasn't he been picked up by Anyone else in 4 years if he is so good?

Here is Beverley's DraftExpress profile: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patrick-Beverley-1132/

As you can see, the sample size is small, but he looks like a poor long range shooter. Could that explain him not being picked up by any NBA team? But on the good side, he also seems to get to the line a lot and shoot a good percentage from the stripe. 4.8 assists in 32 minutes to 2.5 turnovers. A high number of steals per game

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Here is Beverley's DraftExpress profile: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patrick-Beverley-1132/

As you can see, the sample size is small, but he looks like a poor long range shooter. Could that explain him not being picked up by any NBA team? But on the good side, he also seems to get to the line a lot and shoot a good percentage from the stripe. 4.8 assists in 32 minutes to 2.5 turnovers. A high number of steals per game

K, that's great. Seems like a good euro player, I set my sights a bit higher than "well he seems better than Lucas", that's all

You want us to make big moves, I get it. The small moves aren't sexy. They disinterest you.

But Lucas had to play big minutes for us last year and if it comes to that again I'd like someone on the roster who can do more than just chuck 3's.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
You want us to make big moves, I get it. The small moves aren't sexy. They disinterest you.

But Lucas had to play big minutes for us last year and if it comes to that again I'd like someone on the roster who can do more than just chuck 3's.

No, don't misinterpret me because I'm not hugging Beverleys nuts like you are. I understand that the bulls need to replace Bench depth, they just lost two long range shooterS in Korver and Watson and you are advocating putting another undersized pg on the bench, but this guy can't even shoot well from long range by your own admission and draft Profile you posted, so I'm supposed to be excited about that because he is scOring in Russia and Europe? The bulls are also going to end up cutting him when Rose comes back, so your idea of adding this dynamic ball handler and inside scorer next to Rose isn't going to happen either.

In short, it's a waste of time, the bulls have a lot of important bench scoring to replace and putting an undersized pg on the roster as the third guard is just a dumb idea

That said, it is such a Pax move

We're going into the season with 1 proven PG on the roster. PG depth is something we do need.

And this guy is never going to play on the court at the same time as Derrick Rose. But if he does, at least he's another guy that can play off him, can run the floor with him and can put pressure on defenses like him.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
We're going into the season with 1 proven PG on the roster. PG depth is something we do need.

And this guy is never going to play on the court at the same time as Derrick Rose. But if he does, at least he's another guy that can play off him, can run the floor with him and can put pressure on defenses like him.

And adding Beverley still leaves the Bulls with 1 proven PG on the roster. PG depth is fine. Shoot higher, I would rather have Mike James' corpse on the roster than Beverley.

And you are sure projecting a lot of talent on a guy who has never played in the NBA.

And adding Beverley still leaves the Bulls with 1 proven PG on the roster. PG depth is fine. Shoot higher, I would rather have Mike James' corpse on the roster than Beverley.

And you are sure projecting a lot of talent on a guy who has never played in the NBA.

Just look of his highlights on youtube. Obviously he feels comfortable driving and either drawing contact or finishing. Worst case scenario on offense: PG version of Jimmy Butler.