2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Just look of his highlights on youtube. Obviously he feels comfortable driving and either drawing contact or finishing. Worst case scenario on offense: PG version of Jimmy Butler.

No, worst case scenario is John Lucas without an outside shot. And that, my friend, is an absolutely worthless player in the NBA

Highlights on youtube? High School players make their own highlight reels on youtube. You never tend to see the bad stuff though, funny how that works

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no talking to you, you apparently believe that no conclusions can be drawn from stats or online videos.

Yeah he didn't put up those stats in the NBA...but still...he has shown himself to be a certain type of player with certain strengths and weaknesses, and that is unlikely to change no matter where he plays.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
There's no talking to you, you apparently believe that no conclusions can be drawn from stats or online videos.

Yeah he didn't put up those stats in the NBA...but still...he has shown himself to be a certain type of player with certain strengths and weaknesses, and that is unlikely to change no matter where he plays.

You will not get me to agree that Beverley deserves a roster spot on the Bulls, absolutely. His weaknesses will completely dismantle him. And you cannot teach height.

Just remember this highlight on youtube when you think of a guy his size trying to compete in the NBA

John Lucas III is 5'11"

Patrick Beverely is 6'1"

He's not going to be the next Lucas. He's a better defender than Lucas, he's more athletic than Lucas, he gets to the line more than Lucas, he can actually pass the ball to other players unlike Lucas.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
John Lucas III is 5'11"

Patrick Beverely is 6'1"

He's not going to be the next Lucas. He's a better defender than Lucas, he's more athletic than Lucas, he gets to the line more than Lucas, he can actually pass the ball to other players unlike Lucas.

In the euroleague, hopefully

Well at the very least hes worth a look, obviously because he is indeed getting a look by the Bulls. Would you be angry at the signing Kyyle?

In no way am I about to compare him to Rose but what kind of numbers did Rose put up in high school?? Once again just out of curiosity, no comparisons. Beverely put up 30+ per game for Marshall.

Another plus over Lucus is Bev is a lot more lanky than JL3. Bev shot 38% from downtown in the euros so he's not exactly terrible from beyond the arc.

I would not be the least bit disappointed if either him, Jonny Flynn, or Demitri McCammey are brought on as our 11th or 12th man next year. Next year I think Kirk will be the backup SG if all things stay the same financially so bringing in one of those guys would just be insurance.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Well at the very least hes worth a look, obviously because he is indeed getting a look by the Bulls. Would you be angry at the signing Kyyle?

In no way am I about to compare him to Rose but what kind of numbers did Rose put up in high school?? Once again just out of curiosity, no comparisons. Beverely put up 30+ per game for Marshall.

Another plus over Lucus is Bev is a lot more lanky than JL3. Bev shot 38% from downtown in the euros so he's not exactly terrible from beyond the arc.

I would not be the least bit disappointed if either him, Jonny Flynn, or Demitri McCammey are brought on as our 11th or 12th man next year. Next year I think Kirk will be the backup SG if all things stay the same financially so bringing in one of those guys would just be insurance.

Not angry. Disappointed

This is the type of guy that is going to be your 3rd/4th point guard. I don't see why you're so opposed to it Kyle. He's going to average 5mpg and play 1/3 games in all likelihood.

I know you want to replace bench scoring, but it was never happening in this role anyway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
This is the type of guy that is going to be your 3rd/4th point guard. I don't see why you're so opposed to it Kyle. He's going to average 5mpg and play 1/3 games in all likelihood.

I know you want to replace bench scoring, but it was never happening in this role anyway.

I am opposed to them wasting a roster spot on a guy who isnt NBA quality. Not hard to figure out. this season should be about trying to rebuild a roster so that when Rose gets back, they can assimilate him onto the roster and go. Adding guys like this is a total waste of time, because when Derrick comes back, he goes. Simple as that.

This is just putting a guy in a uniform just because. Who gives a s*** what he did in euroleague, college, or f***ing Marshall? I want a guy who actually competed in the NBA wearing a Bulls uniform. Not Dalibor Balgaric types.

You guys are just settling for mediocrity. Im through with that, this team/town/fanbase deserves better than that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
I am opposed to them wasting a roster spot on a guy who isnt NBA quality. Not hard to figure out. this season should be about trying to rebuild a roster so that when Rose gets back, they can assimilate him onto the roster and go. Adding guys like this is a total waste of time, because when Derrick comes back, he goes. Simple as that.

This is just putting a guy in a uniform just because. Who gives a s*** what he did in euroleague, college, or f***ing Marshall? I want a guy who actually competed in the NBA wearing a Bulls uniform. Not Dalibor Balgaric types.

You guys are just settling for mediocrity. Im through with that, this team/town/fanbase deserves better than that.

I'm just not convinced that you can get "real" NBA players for this particular role, when it is assured that the player will be released or forced to feign injury the instant that Rose returns.

If we were choosing him over a Michael Redd type of roleplayer, I'd feel much differently.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
I'm just not convinced that you can get "real" NBA players for this particular role, when it is assured that the player will be released or forced to feign injury the instant that Rose returns.

If we were choosing him over a Michael Redd type of roleplayer, I'd feel much differently.

The question I have is why does this role need to be filled right now? Why is it so important to sign the last guy on the bench right now?

As for finding a player for that spot, I'm looking UDFA and NBDL first

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
The question I have is why does this role need to be filled right now? Why is it so important to sign the last guy on the bench right now?

As for finding a player for that spot, I'm looking UDFA and NBDL first

Well we haven't signed him yet, but I'm sure we're always looking to fill spots. There are no starters to get right now, what else is there?

NDFA or NBDL is like saying we should have signed Beverley 3 years ago instead of now. If our talent evaluators think he's the best option, who am I to disagree? I don't watch the Eurocup or NBDL and most NDFA are what they are because they aren't ready for the NBA (perhaps never will be). I'll leave it to the guys that have some idea what a future NBA player looks like in these lower levels.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Well we haven't signed him yet, but I'm sure we're always looking to fill spots. There are no starters to get right now, what else is there?

NDFA or NBDL is like saying we should have signed Beverley 3 years ago instead of now. If our talent evaluators think he's the best option, who am I to disagree? I don't watch the Eurocup or NBDL and most NDFA are what they are because they aren't ready for the NBA (perhaps never will be). I'll leave it to the guys that have some idea what a future NBA player looks like in these lower levels.

Its not at all like saying that. Beverley was evaluated many, many times since he was drafted, and obviously he was found wanting. And like you, I am leaving it to those very same guys who have an idea what a future NBA player looks like and trusting them in their previous decisions to not offer him a contract.

There are players that break the glass ceiling and find themselves later in their careers, I know that. But there arent many.

And what do you mean there are no starters to get? Has every free agent out there signed a contract?

Knicks just traded for Felton. I guess this means Lin will go to Houston.

Two of the most famous Asian players ever will both play for Houston, interesting. The Rockets have the Chinese market in their hands.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Knicks just traded for Felton. I guess this means Lin will go to Houston.

Two of the most famous Asian players ever will both play for Houston, interesting. The Rockets have the Chinese market in their hands.

Are they still going to want to pay Omer?

Free agent G OJ Mayo getting interest from Lakers, Chicago, Phoenix and Dallas and hopes to make decision in next 10 days, source tells Y!

Mayo’s agent said last week that the Rockets, Bulls, Celtics and Bobcats could be in the running for the four-year veteran. The Grizzlies declined to make a qualifying offer to Mayo and retain refusal rights, shifting Mayo’s status from restricted free agent to unrestricted

Along these lines, league sources said the Bulls have shopped Richard Hamilton’s expiring $5 million deal, which carries a mere $1 million guarantee for 2013-14. Thus far, there have been no takers.

Aggrey Sam ‏@CSNBullsInsider

As reported elsewhere, CJ Watson is headed to the Nets. Also: I'm hearing Ronnie Brewer could be Minnesota-bound.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Are they still going to want to pay Omer?

They pretty much have to give Asik the offer sheet as it's been verbally agreed upon.

Reneging on that would cause serious ramifications with agents, free agent players etc.

Hoping New York match with Lin, but I doubt they will now. I tell you that Amare Stoudemire would be very happy that Felton is back with the Knicks, that's for sure.

I think that the Bulls having had Michael Jordan play for them may have been both a blessing and a curse. I am wondering if, with the way that the NBA is going right now with your "Big 3/4s" that none of the current stars want to come to Chicago because, in their mind,(and maybe some Bulls fans) the standard is automatically 6 rings. Most think that Jordan is the GOAT. How can you follow that? Whether we want to believe it or not, any Bull is playing in Jordan's shadow until probably 2020 or 2025, when most of the players who were kids in the 90s are out of the league. There may be a hangover a little bit after that due to the aging vets talking about this guy Michael Jordan.

I think that Rose's agent is going to convince him to leave after his next contract is up to get a ring. The winters here don't help either. The Bulls are in NBA hell, and they need more star power. That is going to come one of 3 ways: 1. Free agency 2. Lottery picks. 3. Trading Noah/Deng for one. Given that: a) it seems that NBA stars don't want to play for the Bulls and b) a smart GM would rather have cap space and a bad team for his superstar rather then Noah/Deng, I guess tanking is the only way that Forman/Paxon are going to get it done.

It seems that these guys are flocking to warm weather cities with no or very little winning history, and it will be interesting what happens to the Lakers when Kobe Bryant retires. If he gets another ring, maybe they stay away from there and go to the Clippers instead, because of their non winning ways up until this point. The way it looks is that Dallas, Miami, Houston, LAC and maybe NY (who hasn't won a title since the early 70s, s,o the first team to bring the Knicks a title may be embraced by NYC, and it is NYC), LAL, (who knows, maybe KB won't scare them off like MJ did for the Bulls) Brooklyn($$$$$ that their owner is willing to throw around) and Boston(because of the winning tradition and the last of those who watched Bird and co. as a kid are exiting the league over the next few years) will be the new powers in the NBA. I have an idea on how to fix the NBA, but I'm not willing to share it quite yet. Quite frankly, If NBA stars continue to go somewhere that isn't a) cold(that isn't NYC/BOS) and b) where they have to follow a winning legacy, then they are spoiled brats and wimps.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 01:37 AM)
I think that the Bulls having had Michael Jordan play for them may have been both a blessing and a curse. I am wondering if, with the way that the NBA is going right now with your "Big 3/4s" that none of the current stars want to come to Chicago because, in their mind,(and maybe some Bulls fans) the standard is automatically 6 rings. Most think that Jordan is the GOAT. How can you follow that? Whether we want to believe it or not, any Bull is playing in Jordan's shadow until probably 2020 or 2025, when most of the players who were kids in the 90s are out of the league. There may be a hangover a little bit after that due to the aging vets talking about this guy Michael Jordan.

I think that Rose's agent is going to convince him to leave after his next contract is up to get a ring. The winters here don't help either. The Bulls are in NBA hell, and they need more star power. That is going to come one of 3 ways: 1. Free agency 2. Lottery picks. 3. Trading Noah/Deng for one. Given that: a) it seems that NBA stars don't want to play for the Bulls and b) a smart GM would rather have cap space and a bad team for his superstar rather then Noah/Deng, I guess tanking is the only way that Forman/Paxon are going to get it done.

It seems that these guys are flocking to warm weather cities with no or very little winning history, and it will be interesting what happens to the Lakers when Kobe Bryant retires. If he gets another ring, maybe they stay away from there and go to the Clippers instead, because of their non winning ways up until this point. The way it looks is that Dallas, Miami, Houston, LAC and maybe NY (who hasn't won a title since the early 70s, s,o the first team to bring the Knicks a title may be embraced by NYC, and it is NYC), LAL, (who knows, maybe KB won't scare them off like MJ did for the Bulls) Brooklyn($$$$$ that their owner is willing to throw around) and Boston(because of the winning tradition and the last of those who watched Bird and co. as a kid are exiting the league over the next few years) will be the new powers in the NBA. I have an idea on how to fix the NBA, but I'm not willing to share it quite yet. Quite frankly, If NBA stars continue to go somewhere that isn't a) cold(that isn't NYC/BOS) and b) where they have to follow a winning legacy, then they are spoiled brats and wimps.

I don't buy that at all. I do think weather plays a role although NYC isn't exactly balmy in the winter but is usually warmer than Chicago. Plus, there is more going on there. Why would they want to go to LA? First Magic, then Kobe. Why Boston with Bird, then Garnett. The Bulls had Jordan and Pippen, but afterward had the worst 4 year stretch in NBA history. Players have taken their money, they are trying to stay out of the luxury tax. Its some luck and some timing being able to get stars from other teams.