2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Knicks didn't match Jeremy Lin's offer, it sounds pretty silly for us to match Asik's contract given it would cost us over $30 million including the luxury tax in the third year. At the end of the day. Lin is still a starter caliber point guard, and his influence and marketability off the court is even greater than his performance, yet the Knicks opt to get creative and found a cheaper option instead. It's the New York f***ING Knicks we are talking about, it makes no sense for us spend money the Knicks wouldn't even spend for a lesser player on and off the court.

I really hope Gar Forman was bluffing about matching the offer. Asik is a great fit for our team, and I couldn't imagine the team publicly telling other teams they are not going to match him before he even receive a formal offer. The Knicks were even firm about matching Lin's offer right after he got the offer. I hope the Bulls are just using the same tactic.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
If Knicks didn't match Jeremy Lin's offer, it sounds pretty silly for us to match Asik's contract given it would cost us over $30 million including the luxury tax in the third year. At the end of the day. Lin is still a starter caliber point guard, and his influence and marketability off the court is even greater than his performance, yet the Knicks opt to get creative and found a cheaper option instead. It's the New York f***ING Knicks we are talking about, it makes no sense for us spend money the Knicks wouldn't even spend for a lesser player on and off the court.

I really hope Gar Forman was bluffing about matching the offer. Asik is a great fit for our team, and I couldn't imagine the team publicly telling other teams they are not going to match him before he even receive a formal offer. The Knicks were even firm about matching Lin's offer right after he got the offer. I hope the Bulls are just using the same tactic.

We can only hope...

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 07:26 AM)
25 pts and 7 rebs for Butler in the first summer league game. Can't wait to see what he can do with some playing time in the regular season.

but an abysmal game for Teague. sigh.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
Apparently the Mavs had even less cap space than we do. So I'm very interested to know the details of this signing.

That doesn't make any sense to me, they had enough room at the start of FA to offer Deron Williams a max deal, so it's almost impossible that they're up against the luxury tax.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
This Jeremy Lin backlash from the media is ridiculous. They are making it sound like the Knicks let LeBron leave for nothing.

Jeremy Lin is a decent player, but doesn't fit that team at all. You don't need a point guard whose facilitating skills are iffy, shoots a lot, and turns it over a lot. You need a point guard that creates shots for Melo and Amare. Couple that with the contract and it was a no brainer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
Jeremy Lin is a decent player, but doesn't fit that team at all. You don't need a point guard whose facilitating skills are iffy, shoots a lot, and turns it over a lot. You need a point guard that creates shots for Melo and Amare. Couple that with the contract and it was a no brainer.

He also put up his best numbers under a Mike D'Antoni run offense with the ball in his hands.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
Bulls interested in Darko Milicic. Decline Asik, sign Darko. Save.

The problem is that Darko's defense isn't as good as Asik's and his offense is more or less the same.

I keep seeing on ESPN thatt the Lakers and Magic are trying to make a deal and the only thing stopping it is Howard not wanting to sign an extension. That proves Howard is flaky and not serious about winning, isn't the Lakers the top organization for elite players to join if they want to be in a top contender? You know they will spend to get top talent and there really isn't a negative joining LA?

Can someone explain why he wouldn't want to be a Laker??? Brooklyn Nets, really?? SMH...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I keep seeing on ESPN thatt the Lakers and Magic are trying to make a deal and the only thing stopping it is Howard not wanting to sign an extension. That proves Howard is flaky and not serious about winning, isn't the Lakers the top organization for elite players to join if they want to be in a top contender? You know they will spend to get top talent and there really isn't a negative joining LA?

Can someone explain why he wouldn't want to be a Laker??? Brooklyn Nets, really?? SMH...

He likes Jay-Z?

Howard takes douche bag superstar to the next level.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
He likes Jay-Z?

Howard takes douche bag superstar to the next level.

Yeah, Howard has proven to be 10 times the douche LBJ is.

Could it be that he's intimidated in following Mikan, Wilt, KAJ, Shaq footsteps? There will be pressure in LA to win, not so much in Brooklynn I guess. :huh

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)

i would think that he wants to go somewhere where he's the biggest star and that wouldnt happen in la or chicago. clearly it isnt all about winning for him even though he says so

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
The problem is that Darko's defense isn't as good as Asik's and his offense is more or less the same.

Darko is world's better offensively than Asik. He can actually catch a ball, for starters.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Did anyone watch the Bulls summer league vs the Celtics?

Teague looked real bad, Jimmy Butler looked good. Was the only one who looked good. He's gonna be a good bench player for us.

Teague's shot was off all game, he made some pretty nifty passes though. Jimmy did look real good.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
i would think that he wants to go somewhere where he's the biggest star and that wouldnt happen in la or chicago. clearly it isnt all about winning for him even though he says so

and that's the biggest difference between LBJ and Howard. LBJ was willing to team up with top flight talent (even joining somone else' team), took less money and got hammered for supposedly wanting to defer to Wade even though it's clear the Heat are LBJ's team.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
Bleh, Darko Milicic sucks balls. How is his offense better if his TS% is lower than Asiks?

Darko has only gotten above 50% TS% once in his career. And he's played 6 damn years already...

He'd also come at about 10% of the cost of Asik.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
and that's the biggest difference between LBJ and Howard. LBJ was willing to team up with top flight talent, took less money and got hammered for supposedly wanting to defer to Wade even though it's clear the Heat are LBJ's team.

I don't think it was that clear last year, especially in the finals. It's just worked out that way.

And LBJ is supposed to be the best player on the planet. People expected his career to play out like Bird, Magic, and Jordan's. None of those guys went to different teams. Dwight's career is somewhat playing out like Shaq's, except he looks worse right now. Shaq, despite having 4 rings and being the most dominant force in the NBA is usually lower on All time lists because of playing on so many teams IMO.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't think it was that clear last year, especially in the finals. It's just worked out that way.

And LBJ is supposed to be the best player on the planet. People expected his career to play out like Bird, Magic, and Jordan's. None of those guys went to different teams. Dwight's career is somewhat playing out like Shaq's, except he looks worse right now. Shaq, despite having 4 rings and being the most dominant force in the NBA is usually lower on All time lists because of playing on so many teams IMO.

Bird and Magic were lucky enough to be drafted by teams with all time greats on it already though, and they both added to it. LBJ could have waited for that to happen but clearly he was a little short changed compared to them.

MJ however was drafted to dogs*** (somewhat) and pieces were added to him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Bird and Magic were lucky enough to be drafted by teams with all time greats on it already though, and they both added to it. LBJ could have waited for that to happen but clearly he was a little short changed compared to them.

MJ however was drafted to dogs*** (somewhat) and pieces were added to him.

Bird was drafted to a team that won 29 games. I don't know what all time greats were already on his team when he was drafted. Archibald and Cowens were way past their prime and were both on that 29 win team the year before.