2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
I know he looked like he regressed in his 2nd season, but there's a good reason for that: Lockout season, no training camp, no summer league.

Unfortunately, the $15 million 3rd year + extra big chunk of luxury tax gamble on him improving in that regard was just too big of a gamble. You should also add "Recovering from broken leg" to your list.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...and you know what, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that our PGs never developed a good chemistry with him.

I mean, the best passes I've ever seen go to Asik came from Scalabrine. Rose tended to rifle passes at him that he had no prayer of ever catching...and C.J., I dunno...C.J. sucked so ...whatever....

Regardless, Asik is all but gone now so we won't have to talk about him anymore.

I felt like he seemed to regress because we got to see him out on the floor for longer stretches several more times than we were used to, in more important times than we used to.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
I felt like he seemed to regress because we got to see him out on the floor for longer stretches several more times than we were used to, in more important times than we used to.

He averaged 2 more mpg, but with both Noah and Boozer actually being healthy for the full season, it seems like a stretch to say that he got longer stretches/more important stretches than the year beforehand.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
Thank god. $15 mil in year three for a guy that didn't even play 15 MPG for us this year would have been beyond absurd.

As long as they keep Gibson it's an acceptable loss, and he's simply more valuable to the Rockets than to the Bulls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
He averaged 2 more mpg, but with both Noah and Boozer actually being healthy for the full season, it seems like a stretch to say that he got longer stretches/more important stretches than the year beforehand.

The playoff run in particular leaves a bad taste in one's mouth

It bothers me that the lockout is listed as a reason why Asik didnt do so well this season. Asik came into camp clearly out of shape, and while he ended the previous season breaking his leg, it really looked like he did minimal work in the offseason. His need was to improve his offensive game, and that got worse, his time on the floor got reduced because he regressed defensively, he was slap fouling consistently and was out of position a lot.

I liked the potential of Asik, but for the paper Houston is handing him, they can have him.

I don't think he regressed defensively. His rebound increased from his rookie year and his fouls per game remained more or less the same.

Defense is one thing Asik is really good at. It's justified to criticize him for regressing offensively, but to say he regressed defensively too? Nah, I don't agree with that.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
I don't think he regressed defensively. His rebound increased from his rookie year and his fouls per game remained more or less the same.

Defense is one thing Asik is really good at. It's justified to criticize him for regressing offensively, but to say he regressed defensively too? Nah, I don't agree with that.

He finally found his wind at the end of the year and was contributing solid minutes, but for the first half of the season he was horrific. Thibs had him on an extremely short leash, he was good for an instant foul as soon as he entered the game. I was really disappointed in Asik this past season, I expected better.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
He finally found his wind at the end of the year and was contributing solid minutes, but for the first half of the season he was horrific. Thibs had him on an extremely short leash, he was good for an instant foul as soon as he entered the game. I was really disappointed in Asik this past season, I expected better.

If "Not being able to be in shape" hurt him this season, it might well hurt him next year too if he's backing off on workouts to avoid getting hurt before his contract is finalized.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
If "Not being able to be in shape" hurt him this season, it might well hurt him next year too if he's backing off on workouts to avoid getting hurt before his contract is finalized.

You could see it early in the season. He was huffing and puffing, hands on his knees just a few minutes after entering the game.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
I hadn't noticed, but I imagine playing starters minutes will get him into shape fast. Nothing builds stamina like repetition.

That would not happen if he were to remain in Chicago, of course.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
I hadn't noticed, but I imagine playing starters minutes will get him into shape fast. Nothing builds stamina like repetition.

I guess we will see.

Nah, I consider him all but a goner. The signing of Nasty Naz makes it elementary.

The interesting thing to me now is Malcolm Thomas. Bulls fans are clamoring for the Bulls to sign him, he's young and shows promise, but he plays PF...if he were to sign here he'd get minimal playing time unless Booz or Taj get injured. It's possible to sign him for depth and use Taj as an expendable trade piece then if Thomas pans out but...I don't know.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
Nah, I consider him all but a goner. The signing of Nasty Naz makes it elementary.

The interesting thing to me now is Malcolm Thomas. Bulls fans are clamoring for the Bulls to sign him, he's young and shows promise, but he plays PF...if he were to sign here he'd get minimal playing time unless Booz or Taj get injured. It's possible to sign him for depth and use Taj as an expendable trade piece then if Thomas pans out but...I don't know.

The only way that things would work out where the Bulls could trade Taj is if Noah is out for a substantial portion of next season, thus making it so that Taj plays 25 mpg and 15-20 minutes are available for the UDFA.

I don't see how having to rely on Taj more would make him easier to trade.

I think if we sign Thomas, he will be a garbage time player for us for 1 year as we develop him, sort of like Jimmy was last year for us. After that, Boozer gets amnestied and Mirotic comes over. We'll have a rotation of Mirotic/Thomas, making Taj expendable. Saves money and hopefully gets us a nice piece back.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)
I don't see how having to rely on Taj more would make him easier to trade.

I think if we sign Thomas, he will be a garbage time player for us for 1 year as we develop him, sort of like Jimmy was last year for us. After that, Boozer gets amnestied and Mirotic comes over. We'll have a rotation of Mirotic/Thomas, making Taj expendable. Saves money and hopefully gets us a nice piece back.

Removing Taj isn't the issue. The issue is...they're simply not going to replace Taj with a guy who played as a garbage time player this year, unless they give up and rebuild.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Flapship ‏@TheFlapship

Derrick Rose (knee surgery) will be "out until likely March," according to beat writer K.C. Johnson. #Bulls #MVP

I think they're just going off of this story: Bulls' Rose: 'I'm going to be all right'

Rose's older brother and manager, Reggie, told the Tribune shortly after the surgery that Derrick will play next season for sure. A safe estimate is March.

Not sure there is much news there.

banking on Thomas being a starter because he's played well in Summer League is not a sound strategy. Keith Bogans lit up summer league.

I understand that there is some reticence here but Malcolm Thomas' skillset is something that translates very well to the NBA. He's a high motor guy who rebounds and is athletic around the rim, very similar to Taj. This isn't a Keith Bogans or a John Lucas, whose skillset doesn't transfer well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
banking on Thomas being a starter because he's played well in Summer League is not a sound strategy. Keith Bogans lit up summer league.

I just like him as a 5th big because he reminds me of Taj.