2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
The speculation was that the Lopez/Humphries contracts would help them out because Orlando could dump a bunch of their bad contracts in the trade with those two (Richardson, Davis, maybe Nelson or Turkoglu). Kris Kardashian is only on a 2-year deal, so he basically gives them two years of surprisingly solid production while they tank then he's off the payroll.

The bigger question is whether the Magic wait till then. There best bet is to trade him now, when a team that acquires him can still get the rights to make a larger max offer then anyone else. That ends if he signs after the season starts (he will lose out on being able to sign that 5th year when he hits FA). Its why I still think the Bulls should go crazy for him. For those that think the Bulls should go into a full rebuild mode, well then the Bulls have nothing to lose by going all in on Dwight, hoping he stays. If he doesn't, you have cleared cap space to get him. If he does, you are in business, and as Deron proved, it is hard for an NBA player to turn down that extra year of guarantee money (and I'd reckon one coming off a back injury would think that extra year to be awfully important).

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
Bulls went 18-9 without Rose last year, here's my opinion on what they replaced in the Roseless lineup.

Butlers going to be better than Brewer. IMO

Bellinelli will be a more complete player than Korver thus making him at the very least equals with KK.

I was a CJ fan, I think Hinrich is a SLIGHT drop off.

I think Teague will be an upgrade over JL3

Nazr is a drop off defensively but may be an upgrade offensively

Rose is going to be back Jan-Mar so he'll have a month or 2 to knock the rust off. Bulls still have the opportunity to make a ton of noise with what they have.

There's a big difference between playing 27 games spread out across a shortened season and playing something like 60 straight games without Rose. Everyone has to carry a much bigger load for a much longer stretch, and if someone gets hurt you can't fall back on Rose coming back.

It'd take a herculean effort from the other guys to be much better than .500 with Rose out. Then when he's back, you have a 0% chance of beating a quality team in the playoffs if he's not his MVP-caliber self and even if he is they'd still be a toss-up at best against teams like the Heat, Thunder, probably the Lakers (we'll see exactly how that works out) and the Nets if they land Dwight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-don...45339--nba.html

This is what they always do. Spend enough to skirt complete and total criticism. Leave enough not entirely unreasonable influences and timing issues to help you understand. Leave it so the moves in a vacuum — taking apart that bench just to save money — that seem so abhorrent are easily argued with a nice pull quote from a team employee or sound bite in a call-in radio show from the team's owner. You don't need to be an NBA junkie to shake your head at the team's moves, but the Bulls' front office makes it so you don't need to be an NBA salary capologist to understand their impetus behind those moves. The fair-weather fan can be persuaded away from his anger in a manner of minutes, or space of two paragraphs.

There's always another year, and another plan, to look forward to while we wait for the definitive statement as to whether or not team owner Jerry Reinsdorf cares about the fortunes of the Chicago Bulls enough to spend a fortune on the team that has made him fortune after fortune even after the retirement of Michael Jordan.

There's always, "wait until the summer of 2000; because all the 1998 free agents re-signed with their own teams, the 1999 crew was junk and we just dealt Brent Barry for cap room that summer."

It's always, "wait until Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry learn to play alongside each other, because Elton Brand was never going to be able to fit in there, and we're sure his looming contract extension had NOTHING to do with us trading him to Los Angeles."

It's always, "wait until 2006, when we'll blind you with Ben Wallace's signing before trading Tyson Chandler's eight-figure contract for an expiring deal — an 'asset' we'll never end up using in a trade because that would add salary."

It's always, "wait until 2010, LeBron James! Carlos Boozer!"

Now the team will try to sell 2013-14, even if it's really selling 2014-15, even if the team doesn't really buy anything in the summer of 2014 outside of locking up Taj Gibson as he enters his 30s, and retaining Deng if his battered body even makes it that long. While adding Mirotic on a, you guessed it, rookie contract. All while playing competitive basketball, winning just enough to keep you coming back.

You did it again, Chicago Bulls, and for this you deserve my respect. I'll see you once more in 2015, when I attempt not to re-write this column for the sixth time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 07:54 PM)
This makes me feel worse :crying

The truth hurts. This I what I have been saying, they have been dangling the carrot for years, and Bulls fans do our part and show up. Time to man up and stop taking the conservative approach, step outside the box and take a swing. And whatever other cliche besides "don't panic, there is a plan here"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
The truth hurts. This I what I have been saying, they have been dangling the carrot for years, and Bulls fans do our part and show up. Time to man up and stop taking the conservative approach, step outside the box and take a swing. And whatever other cliche besides "don't panic, there is a plan here"

I don't know if they take the conservative plan. I think it's more they go for the grand plan and strike out. They went for LeBron and Wade, but whiffed. They would have make serious offers for Dwight, but he didn't want Chicago.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
I don't know if they take the conservative plan. I think it's more they go for the grand plan and strike out. They went for LeBron and Wade, but whiffed. They would have make serious offers for Dwight, but he didn't want Chicago.

It's always the same thing, it just didn't work out. We deserve better

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)

Bigger lemmings... Bulls or Cubs fans?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
It's always the same thing, it just didn't work out. We deserve better

Isn't that them going for it though? What can you do if the other team says no? They traded Hinrich, etc for the shot of offering 2 max deals. They missed. They did the same in the summer of 2000 or whenever it was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Bigger lemmings... Bulls or Cubs fans?

What a ridiculous comparison. One team barely ever goes to the playoffs and has done nothing to win. Bulls may not have won a title since Jordan, but last I checked, very few teams have (with a few teams winning the majority of the titles post-MJ). As a whole the Bulls have been one of the more successful teams since Scott Skiles took over (and it continued under Del Negro & Thibbs). This includes having the most wins the past 2 years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Isn't that them going for it though? What can you do if the other team says no? They traded Hinrich, etc for the shot of offering 2 max deals. They missed. They did the same in the summer of 2000 or whenever it was.

Jason, at some point you have to call a spade a spade. This organization has continually put themselves in this position, and it started when they decided they were so smart and MJ and the gang were done, and it has never stopped.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
Jason, at some point you have to call a spade a spade. This organization has continually put themselves in this position, and it started when they decided they were so smart and MJ and the gang were done, and it has never stopped.

I'm just really confused at what they could do. What are you proposing? What else could they have done which would have brought Lebron? What can they do to get Dwight? And I really don't understand the comparison to MJ and the gang and being so smart. That was Krause. Krause is long gone.

What could the Bulls have done?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
I'm just really confused at what they could do. What are you proposing? What else could they have done which would have brought Lebron? What can they do to get Dwight? And I really don't understand the comparison to MJ and the gang and being so smart. That was Krause. Krause is long gone.

What could the Bulls have done?

Im not proposing anything Jason, it isnt my job to make the Bulls a better team, it is Foreman and Paxsons job. They need to figure out how to make the trade for someone like Mayo, who could get his feet wet on this team while Rose is rehabbing. They need to get in the game and make something happen, and not rely on retreads, has beens, and maybes. Not me, Foreman and Paxson. Just like you, i am observing this team. I observed them last offseason say "you know what? We got to the Conference championship game, and thats pretty good. An old rip Hamilton who used to be able to hang with Wade 4 years ago will be awesome." And the heat said "f*** that, we are going to get Shane Battier to play better defense and hit the open three". I actually fell for it too, I believed that was a piece that the Bulls needed. How many games did Rip miss? The front office makes minimal moves and keeps moving the line back and telling us all that everything is ok, if everything goes absolutely perfect, we will win it all. In the NBA, nothing ever goes absolutely perfect.

There was no comparison to MJ. It was a point, the point is the front office decided that they didnt like shelling out all of this money even while they were winning it all. They were smarter than everyone else, and they would rebuild it, and stay financially safe while doing so. A point that was really reinforced in the article that I posted. Since MJ departed, the bulls havent done anything but stay conservative and try and "build through the draft". Rose landed in their laps and the guy has absolutely no help whatsoever. Loul is not a star player, neither is Noah, and neither is Boozer. They are complimentary players, and they will not help the Bulls win a championship without another true superstar next to Rose.

While i dont agree with Soxbadger about Thibs as a coach, I do agree with him in that these regular season wins really dont mean a damn thing. The number one seed doesnt matter when you have the Heat standing on the other side of the Bracket. The season starts in the playoffs, and the Bulls simply dont match up, teams like the Heat stop Rose. Game over. And this offseason we are seeing right now is so disheartening, and you guys are justifying it because Rose blew out his knee. That really bothers me.

Omer Asik ‏@AsikOmer

Thank You Chicago for having me in your city for 2 years! So grateful for the opportunity and the great fans and support. I will miss you.

Goodbye Omie :( We hardly knew ye...

We are going to miss his defense and rebounding before all is said and done, mark it down. Quote me.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
Omer Asik ‏@AsikOmer

Thank You Chicago for having me in your city for 2 years! So grateful for the opportunity and the great fans and support. I will miss you.

Goodbye Omie :( We hardly knew ye...

We are going to miss his defense and rebounding before all is said and done, mark it down. Quote me.

Ok, quoted you.

Yeah, we'll miss his defense and rebounding, but he's not worth $15M.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)
I believe that was their old owner, Michael Heisley, who had a vendetta against the Bulls. He's since sold the team.

Was that over the Pau negotiations?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:19 AM)
No, the owner was from Chicago and I think the issue was the Bulls not going along with his plan to make Chicago a 2 NBA town.

I'll take SPORTS MYTHS for $800, Alex.