2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
I'd love a Monta Ellis or a Ty Lawson or someone who actually is athletic like that to play offguard with Derrick. Not Ronnie freakin' Brewer, who can't dribble, can't pass and blows more dunks than he makes.

That makes perfect sense, stick two guys that play almost exclusively with the ball in their hands to play "off guard". :huh:

Having guys that can run and dunk is so far down the list of concerns for the Bulls.

That makes perfect sense, stick two guys that play almost exclusively with the ball in their hands to play "off guard". :huh:

Having guys that can run and dunk is so far down the list of concerns for the Bulls.

Its actually not, Thibs was frustrated with the amount of easy points we were leaving on the board because we couldn't reliably finish fast break opportunities. Too many times our fastbreaks turned into contested jumpers. It's not just about running and dunking either, it's about making the correct play for the easy bucket.

and you'd be crazy not to want Monta or Ty if the price was reasonable. They're two guys who can legit take over games, isn't that exactly what we want next to Derrick?

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Its actually not, Thibs was frustrated with the amount of easy points we were leaving on the board because we couldn't reliably finish fast break opportunities. Too many times our fastbreaks turned into contested jumpers.

and you'd be crazy not to want Monta or Ty if the price was reasonable. They're two guys who can legit take over games, isn't that exactly what we want next to Derrick?

No, it's not. Neither of those guys are going to defend the 2-guard position reliably, and both need the ball to be good. Monta especially would be a disaster, he's a horribly inefficient player that takes contested jumpers in bulk. Lebron and Wade get away with it because they are probably the two best drivers in the league, neither of those guys are anywhere near that tier.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Well, who do you want to play alongside Rose?

We need another guy who basically can do the same things Rose does, isn't that the whole point? To get another guy who can be option 1a?

We don't need a one trick pony at the 2, we need someone who has similar skill sets to Derrick imo.

Ty Lawson is an absolute beast, you're crazy if you don't want him.

He shoots 40% from 3, his efficiency is elite, he can handle the ball and take over games, he's athletic and young

He likes the ball in his hand? so what, he'll learn to play off it. No big deal. The upsides totally outweigh the negatives

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Ty Lawson is an absolute beast, you're crazy if you don't want him.

He shoots 40% from 3, his efficiency is elite, he can handle the ball and take over games, he's athletic and young

He likes the ball in his hand? so what, he'll learn to play off it. No big deal. The upsides totally outweigh the negatives

elite, athletic, and young. Need youtube

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Speaking of Joakim Noah - this is simply hilarious.

http://deadspin.com/5930499/joakim-noah-te...ane-hilariously

Noah interviewed on ESPN Chicago. His top 3 Chicago athletes are -

1. AJ Pierzynski

2. Patrick Kane

3. Patrick Kane

LOL

Kaner's only on there twice because Joakim couldn't think of anyone else. xD

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Well, who do you want to play alongside Rose?

We need another guy who basically can do the same things Rose does, isn't that the whole point? To get another guy who can be option 1a?

We don't need a one trick pony at the 2, we need someone who has similar skill sets to Derrick imo.

No, you don't want another Rose because then you have two guys with decent but not great efficiency taking a ton of shots and trying to drive constantly. Both guys would see a drop in production because they're trying to do the exact same thing. Look what heppened to Monta when he went to Milwaukee. His production took a big hit, and Jennings isn't nearly as good and doesn't use nearly as many possessions as Rose. Lebron and Wade both take fewer shots than they used to as well, though they were both able to improve their conversion rates.

What you need is a high efficiency player at the 2 or 3 (not a 5'11" true PG like Lawson) that doesn't need to spend half the shot clock dribbling in order to get his shot. Someone that can hit outside shots and spread the floor a bit but still generate shots when the opportunity presents itself. OKC has two wings that complement Westbrook (a very similar player to Rose) perfectly. Durant and Harden both move away from the ball and get plenty of catch-and-shoot looks but can still attack when the lane is open.

I don't consider Lawson a true PG, he's a scoring Pg if I've ever seen one.

He's also efficient and a great shooter, so I think he'd work well with Derrick. Both players would have to adjust their game, no doubt. But so what? I've seen Rose play off the ball before too, it looked mighty effective. I'd like to give Rose a break every now and then too, it confuses the other team and switches things up a bit, makes us more effective I'd argue. Nobody we get is going to be perfect, there will be drawbacks to any player we get. This guy is good at this, but bad at that. This guy is a good shooter but he can't defend. This guy is a good penetrator but he can't shoot. This guy is efficient as hell but he can't take over games by himself.

Name me one 2 guard we can get that can do it ALL

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)

He's also efficient and a great shooter, so I think he'd work well with Derrick. Both players would have to adjust their game, no doubt. But so what? I've seen Rose play off the ball before too, it looked mighty effective. I'd like to give Rose a break every now and then too, it confuses the other team and switches things up a bit, makes us more effective I'd argue. Nobody we get is going to be perfect, there will be drawbacks to any player we get. This guy is good at this, but bad at that. This guy is a good shooter but he can't defend. This guy is a good penetrator but he can't shoot. This guy is efficient as hell but he can't take over games by himself.

How are the Bulls even getting Lawson in this fantasy?

If the Bulls have the bullets to acquire a starting PG, they would be able to get a starting SG/SF.

I'm not saying we're getting him, I'm saying I want him. Who do you want?

Don't tell me you want James Harden. He's never played anything more than a role player's role, he's never been able to take games over by himself. He can't defend. Every 2 guard out there has drawbacks and Harden is no different in that regard.

We need a proven 1b type of guy, otherwise we're right back where we started in square one. We get deep into the playoffs, face the Heat, then realize we need another legit star player to take over games for us when they sweat Derrick. What does that mean? It means another guy like Derrick, someone who can go iso and get a good shot when he needs to. Someone who can beat his man and get to the rim and do something good with it.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)

Don't tell me you want James Harden. He's never played anything more than a role player's role, he's never been able to take games over by himself. He can't defend. Every 2 guard out there has drawbacks and Harden is no different in that regard.

We need a proven 1b type of guy, otherwise we're right back where we started in square one. We get deep into the playoffs, face the Heat, then realize we need another legit star player to take over games for us when they sweat Derrick. What does that mean? It means another guy like Derrick, someone who can go iso and get a good shot when he needs to. Someone who can beat his man and get to the rim and do something good with it.

Who do I want that is realistic, or who do I want in fantasy land?

Because those are very different questions.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Sounds like Rip Hamilton would be a nice fit for Rose

Maybe in 2004. When he didnt take 70 percent of the season off due to strained lady parts

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)

He's a true point guard in that he can't defend the 2-guard position and everything on offense runs through him. You're basically begging other teams to post up your guards and your perimeter closeouts are going to be less effective due to a high lack of length. It hurts offensively too because neither guy is nearly as big a threat standing there on the perimeter waiting for the pass, especially Rose. They have to learn to generate shots in a totally different manner, which takes a lot of adjustment.

There are a bunch of 2-guards that are good enough as an all-around player. A bunch of the vets like Kobe, Pierce, Manu and Joe Johnson, though some of them are fading. Harden, Martin (he blows defensively, but at least he's 6'7"), Gordon if he ever stays healthy, Marcus Thornton (though I'm not a huge fan of his), Paul George and Gordon Heyward are probably there in the next year or so. Klay Thompson looks like he's going to be very good. Arron Afflalo is a solid role player. Wes Matthews had a bad year but was very good the previous two.

That's a lot more than one that all fit their needs reasonably well. There are also a handful more if you can replace Deng at SF with a better fit.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)

LOL, okay, don't take James Harden. He scored 17 a game this year on only 10 shots. Luol Deng took 4 more shots than he did per game and only scored 15. He was a PERFECT fit for OKC because he was highly productive and didn't get in the way of Westbrook or Durant. He can hit 3's and converted 70% of his shots in the basket area while drawing 6 free throws a game. He'd be an amazing pickup at the 2-guard.

On a team like the Bulls where he could get 15 shots a game, he'd easily score 20 even factoring in a drop in efficiency. And he's a MUCH better defender at the two than the matador known as Monta Ellis and he's not a midget by 2-guard standards like Lawson.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
I don;t understand criticizing Ty for not being able to guard 2's, then naming Harden as a guy you want at the 2.

Harden is a turrible defender. Turrible.

He's really nowhere near as bad a defender as Monta Ellis, and Ty Lawson at the 2 would be an utter disaster.

Harden is efficient, but he's not a take over the game guy. He's efficient because he plays on a team with Westbrook and Durant and can get good shots. He hits his 3's and draws lots of fouls and is a good passer. But besides that, when has he ever proven to be a 1a type of player? He's a roleplayer. A very, very good roleplayer. But still a role player.

Is a role player really who we want to pay max money to? Taking a big risk there.

We need a guy who has proven that he can be the number 1 option before. Eric Gordon over James Harden all day and twice on sunday.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Harden is efficient, but he's not a take over the game guy. He's efficient because he plays on a team with Westbrook and Durant and can get good shots. He hits his 3's and draws lots of fouls and is a good passer. But besides that, when has he ever proven to be a 1a type of player? He's a roleplayer. A very, very good roleplayer. But still a role player.

Is a role player really who we want to pay max money to? Taking a big risk there.

We need a guy who has proven that he can be the number 1 option before. Eric Gordon over James Harden all day and twice on sunday.

And Derrick Rose is there to generate a lot of good shots on the Bulls.

Your logic is weird. He does everything a #1 option does, but because he's on a really good team so he's not good enough for the Bulls. OKC is one of like 4 teams where he wouldn't be the primary scorer/shot-creator on the perimeter. They don't need him to be a "true #1" anyways, that's what Rose is for.

Edited by ZoomSlowik