2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
NBA preseason starts in 21 days...Can the Bulls sign Michael Redd or (no rumors about him but someone I'd love on the bulls) Barbosa already???

I believe it's actually impossible for them to sign anyone right now, they've literally used up all their exemptions IIRC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
I believe it's actually impossible for them to sign anyone right now, they've literally used up all their exemptions IIRC.

I still see little things on hoops hype about them talking to players (the latest being Anthony Tolliver) so they have to have some kind of money (unless theyre just talking to these guys should they swing a Rip trade?)...What did they use the Korver exemption on?? Ive read those exemptions only last a year.

Other guys I've read they had interest in are, Michael Redd and Josh Childress

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
I still see little things on hoops hype about them talking to players (the latest being Anthony Tolliver) so they have to have some kind of money (unless theyre just talking to these guys should they swing a Rip trade?)...What did they use the Korver exemption on?? Ive read those exemptions only last a year.

Other guys I've read they had interest in are, Michael Redd and Josh Childress

They have not used that exemption but it cannot be used to sign a guy, only to trade for guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)

Wrong.

MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION -- Teams can offer players minimum salary contracts even if they are over the cap. Contracts can be up to two years in length. For two-year contracts, the second season salary is the minimum salary for that season. The contract may not contain a bonus of any kind. This exception can also be used to acquire minimum salary players via trade. There is no limit to the number of players that can be signed or acquired using this exception.

This exception begins to reduce in value after the first day of the season. For example, if there are 170 days in the season, then this exception reduces in value by 1/170 of its initial value each day. So if a team signs a minimum salary player 90 days into the season, it can pay the player only 80/170 of the minimum salary.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Wrong.

It is more complicated than this. The Bulls could use the trade exemption to add salary, but they lost that last exemption because they're at a certain salary level.

Only listed above is committed salary, not any cap holds. Cap holds aren't relevant at this juncture. What is relevant is how much the Bulls have left to spend.

The process by which the Bulls put together that roster is more important here than usual. The new CBA created a level, known colloquially as the 'apron', which subjects any team with a payroll above that level to further payroll restrictions. The line exists $4 million above the luxury tax threshold of $70,307,000, so the Bulls are not over it. It is more important to note, however, that there is absolutely no way they can now go over it, because of what they have done thus far.

The Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception cannot be used by teams over the apron, or by teams who would finish above the apron upon using it. Also, if you DO use it, you can't then go over the apron under any circumstances. The same is all also true of the Bi-Annual Exception. And the Bulls have used both - Hinrich received $3.941 million of the $5 million MLE, while Belinelli got the full BAE.

Proximity to the apron - which, it bears repeating, they CANNOT now go over - is now the Bulls's major problem. They have only $1,615,602 in room beneath it now, and with only 12 players under contract, they need more. This is doubly true in light of only having four big men, triply true in light of two of those four being incredibly injury prone historically, and quadrupley true in light of Rose missing most if not whole of next season. But adding more players is difficult because they just can't afford much.

That's moving the target a bit, you said that they literally couldn't sign anybody and didn't have any exceptions they can use. Even with the apron, the quote you posted said that they have $1.6 mil left, which would be useable on a minimum contract guy.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
That's moving the target a bit, you said that they literally couldn't sign anybody and didn't have any exceptions they can use. Even with the apron, the quote you posted said that they have $1.6 mil left, which would be useable on a minimum contract guy.

That was prior to signing Teague and Nate Robinson's non-guaranteed deal. So they're literally right up against it now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)
That was prior to signing Teague and Nate Robinson's non-guaranteed deal. So they're literally right up against it now.

You got me there, I didn't double-check hoopshype and went on the source you provided.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
It's really gonna be interesting to see how many do so when the multi-year penalties kick in. If the Lakers keep all their expensive guys and extend Howard, it's not unreasonable that they could have a $100 million luxury tax bill next year.

Next year will be tough for them. I'd expect them to offload Gasol to a contender after this season. Nash expires after next year as well as Kobe IIRC. In fact, I think they have a ton of cap cleared after next year. It's a matter of them getting through next year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 07:20 AM)
Next year will be tough for them. I'd expect them to offload Gasol to a contender after this season. Nash expires after next year as well as Kobe IIRC. In fact, I think they have a ton of cap cleared after next year. It's a matter of them getting through next year.

Nash signed a 3-year deal, and obviously they're going to try to extend Dwight. They'd have to work out Kobe's contract before they have any space because of the massive cap hold (like $30 mil) that he would have. They'd either have to renounce his Bird Rights to clear it or get him to sign for a huge paycut. Gasol would have a huge cap hold if he's still around as well.

Kyrylo Fesenko: Just landed in Chicago. Tomorrow I have a workout with the Bulls. Really excited to see Korver, Boozer and Brewer! Twitter

Kyrylo Fesenko: My bad, people. I didn't know, that Kyle and Ronnie is gone from Chicago. Thank you for info. Twitter

Oops...Anyone know anything about this guy?? a 9'4" wing span sounds pretty sexy

edit..fixed the 2nd tweet

Lots of encouraging things here http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/kyrylo-fesenko-1065/

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787