2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Mirotic would have to give up s***loads of money to come here before 2015. "Recruiting him" isn't going to get him here any sooner.

I know we've been through this 100 times but refresh my memory.

Lets say Boozer has a really good year this year with the absence of Rose. What if they can trade him in the offseason for minimal contract returns. Can they use that money for Mirotic? What about the amnesty of Boozer?

The way he stretches the floor would work out perfectly for the rest of the team.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
I know we've been through this 100 times but refresh my memory.

Lets say Boozer has a really good year this year with the absence of Rose. What if they can trade him in the offseason for minimal contract returns. Can they use that money for Mirotic? What about the amnesty of Boozer?

The way he stretches the floor would work out perfectly for the rest of the team.

Just read this: Mirotic financial information.

Basically, 2014-15 is the earliest they'll see him, maybe later if they don't have the full MLE/cap space available.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
Just read this: Mirotic financial information.

Basically, 2014-15 is the earliest they'll see him, maybe later if they don't have the full MLE/cap space available.

lol but that article is soooo longgggg. I literally just had it open but don't have the attention span to read it all.

What I gathered from the conclusions that they thankfully posted at the beginning.....

1. It is cost prohibitive for Mirotic to come over before the 2014-2015 season.

2. The Bulls will have to use an MLE, not the Rookie Scale, to sign Mirotic (they have this option beginning in 2014). This means, barring trades, Mirotic will be the major addition in the year they bring him over - they will be unable to sign another major free agent (Chicago will only have minimum contracts and possibly the Bi-Annual Exception left to offer).

3. The full Mid-Level Exception will probably be required to sign Mirotic. The mini-MLE would be a significant pay cut even if the buyout were negotiated down to zero. This means the Bulls will only be able to sign him in a non-taxpaying year. Deng’s contract comes off the books in 2014, Boozer’s in 2015.

Is if they had the full MLE or the 5 mill in cap space they would be able to sign him.

Wouldn't trading or the amnesty of Boozer free that money up?

I think we need to work on not only amnestying Boozer but restructuring Lu's contract. I don't think he's the type of player that wants to chase the money. He probably wants to retire a Bull, and I want him to retire a Bull as well.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
lol but that article is soooo longgggg. I literally just had it open but don't have the attention span to read it all.

What I gathered from the conclusions that they thankfully posted at the beginning.....

1. It is cost prohibitive for Mirotic to come over before the 2014-2015 season.

2. The Bulls will have to use an MLE, not the Rookie Scale, to sign Mirotic (they have this option beginning in 2014). This means, barring trades, Mirotic will be the major addition in the year they bring him over - they will be unable to sign another major free agent (Chicago will only have minimum contracts and possibly the Bi-Annual Exception left to offer).

3. The full Mid-Level Exception will probably be required to sign Mirotic. The mini-MLE would be a significant pay cut even if the buyout were negotiated down to zero. This means the Bulls will only be able to sign him in a non-taxpaying year. Deng’s contract comes off the books in 2014, Boozer’s in 2015.

Is if they had the full MLE or the 5 mill in cap space they would be able to sign him.

Wouldn't trading or the amnesty of Boozer free that money up?

Ugh, if you don't have the attention span to read, or at least look at the charts, I'm not going to bother. Unless Mirotic is willing to give up like $15 million over the course of his rookie contract, he's not coming before 2014-15 at the earliest.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
I think we need to work on not only amnestying Boozer but restructuring Lu's contract. I don't think he's the type of player that wants to chase the money. He probably wants to retire a Bull, and I want him to retire a Bull as well.

What is this retirement talk? Lu is what, 27? If he is smart he better make every penny he can right now, in the prime of his career. He should fire his agent on the spot if he asks about restructuring

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Seeing him in another uniform would break my little heart. RESTRUCTURE! Backload the hell out of that contract and kick the can down the road imo. Anything to keep him here.

Lu has at the very least 2 more contracts coming to him if his body cooperates. Retiring a bull doesn't factor in even if he does restructure

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Ugh, if you don't have the attention span to read, or at least look at the charts, I'm not going to bother. Unless Mirotic is willing to give up like $15 million over the course of his rookie contract, he's not coming before 2014-15 at the earliest.

Alright I went ahead and read it (it was shorter than I thought) and I'm still lost.

So the Bulls won't have the MLE till 2014 even with the amnesty Boozer? Shouldn't that give the Bulls more than enough to give Mirotic his 5 mill a year which is more than what he's making out there

Or is 2014 just when we don't have to pay him on the rookie scale.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Alright I went ahead and read it (it was shorter than I thought) and I'm still lost.

So the Bulls won't have the MLE till 2014 even with the amnesty Boozer? Shouldn't that give the Bulls more than enough to give Mirotic his 5 mill a year which is more than what he's making out there

Or is 2014 just when we don't have to pay him on the rookie scale.

The last part.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Seeing him in another uniform would break my little heart. RESTRUCTURE! Back load the hell out of that contract and kick the can down the road imo. Anything to keep him here.

I would love to see Deng gone, honestly. I truly wish we'd been the Philly part of the Dwight Howard trade and been able to send Deng (plus maybe the Charlotte pick to make up for the difference in value to Iguodala) and wound up landing Andrew Bynum.

The Bulls missed the ball there. They could have paired Andrew Bynum and Joakim Noah downlow and become unstoppable.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
I would love to see Deng gone, honestly. I truly wish we'd been the Philly part of the Dwight Howard trade and been able to send Deng (plus maybe the Charlotte pick to make up for the difference in value to Iguodala) and wound up landing Andrew Bynum.

The Bulls missed the ball there. They could have paired Andrew Bynum and Joakim Noah downlow and become unstoppable.

Unstoppable? I wouldn't consider Noah an offensive threat and Bynum is seemingly always banged up. Plus we'd lose our 2nd most effective scorer. I wouldn't like that scenario at all.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Unstoppable? I wouldn't consider Noah an offensive threat and Bynum is seemingly always banged up. Plus we'd lose our 2nd most effective scorer. I wouldn't like that scenario at all.

Lu isn't exactly a picture of health

Bynum is a more efficient scorer. Noah wouldn't have to score, just clean the glass and let Bynum dominate. It seems pretty obvious, actually. And good luck scoring downlow on that combo.

Edited by Steve9347

I hate Andrew Bynum, he's an immature brat. Character matters to me, and it matters in general. Lu is a soldier and a warrior and the epitome of what I think a Bull should be. Bynum is just a dickwad. I'd hate that trade tbh.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
I hate Andrew Bynum, he's an immature brat. Character matters to me, and it matters in general. Lu is a soldier and a warrior and the epitome of what I think a Bull should be. Bynum is just a dickwad. I'd hate that trade tbh.

You must have despised the 96-98 Bulls.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
but restructuring Lu's contract. I don't think he's the type of player that wants to chase the money. He probably wants to retire a Bull, and I want him to retire a Bull as well.

This is so Greg like it's scary.

It is much easier to find a 3 than a 5 in the NBA>