2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Spoelstra does like to keep one of either Wade or Lebron on the court at all times.

If you play with the bench in every game and do so for significant minutes, for several years straight, I don't see whats so controversial about me including Deng with the bench mob. He's there, he's playing and he's playing big minutes. *shrug*

Because he doesn't come off the bench. The definition of a "bench player" does not include "occasionally plays with the bench". You are using it in a very strange way. Every player in the league plays at least some minutes with bench players in every game. This isn't hockey where there are line changes.

Ok fine, but I think you're being disingenuous when you use the word "occasionally". Deng played the most minutes out of anybody in the league last year. Naturally those minutes included being out there with the bench mob. He's as much a member of the bench mob as he is a member of the starters. Thats why he's our beloved lieutenant.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Deng has played with the bench for the past 3 years, is this your first time watching the Bulls?

Kirk got passed over because he was injured and because the Hawks had a young promising PG named Jeff Teague they wanted to groom.

Naz being starting caliber is very wishful thinking, granted. But his offense is definitely a lot better than Asiks was. Naz can actually hit a 15 foot J.

aliens-meme.jpg

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Ok fine, but I think you're being disingenuous when you use the word "occasionally". Deng played the most minutes out of anybody in the league last year. Naturally those minutes included being out there with the bench mob. He's as much a member of the bench mob as he is a member of the starters. Thats why he's our beloved lieutenant.

No he isn't. He starts games. By definition, that makes him a starter, not a bench player. It's really a very simple concept that you are somehow missing.

I understand that, but the fact remains that he's out there playing with the bench all the time. Every game in fact. For multiple years straight. I don't understand what the big deal is about me including him with the bench.

Does this really bother you that much?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
I understand that, but the fact remains that he's out there playing with the bench all the time. Every game in fact. For multiple years straight. I don't understand what the big deal is about me including him with the bench.

Nice change of subject.

:lol: How is that a change of subject? That was my whole point. I said we'd have 3 starting caliber players in our bench mob. Deng/Kirk/Taj

You people decided to pick a fight with me over who is or who isn't a bench member based on silly word play. I'm saying the fact that he plays significant minutes with the bench justifies my putting him in there. geez

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)

Because including a guy that is very clearly a starter with the bench players is the kind of thing that makes everyone in the board argue with you. It's just plain silly.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
:lol: How is that a change of subject? That was my whole point. I said we'd have 3 starting caliber players in our bench mob. Deng/Kirk/Taj

You people decided to pick a fight with me over who is or who isn't a bench member based on silly word play. I'm saying the fact that he plays significant minutes with the bench justifies my putting him in there. geez

It's not "silly word play" it's the definition of the term "bench player". :lol:

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Ok, you're just stuck on this argument based on semantics, stuck on silly labels like "starter" and "bench player". Deng is very clearly both, that's my point. His heavy minutes with the second unit is blatant evidence of that. Do you doubt that he'll be on the floor with the second unit? No, so what are we arguing about?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)

The only thing that is silly is taking something that is easily and clearly defined, and turning it into something else. If you start, you aren't a bench player, even if you log some minutes with bench players. It is incredibly clearly defined by the NBA. It is coming off of the bench, not playing with the bench.

The only thing that is silly is taking something that is easily and clearly defined, and turning it into something else. If you start, you aren't a bench player, even if you log some minutes with bench players. It is incredibly clearly defined by the NBA. It is coming off of the bench, not playing with the bench.

Ok then. :huh So Deng is not a bench member but he will be playing lots of minutes with the bench against other teams benches.

This really doesn't invalidate my point: that we'll have 3 starting caliber players playing against other teams benches.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Ok, you're just stuck on this argument based on semantics, stuck on silly labels like "starter" and "bench player". Deng is very clearly both, that's my point. His heavy minutes with the second unit is blatant evidence of that. Do you doubt that he'll be on the floor with the second unit? No, so what are we arguing about?

EVERY PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE plays with the second unit at times. By your definition, every player in the league is a bench player. That is incredibly dumb.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Ok then. :huh So Deng is not a bench member but he will be playing lots of minutes with the bench against other teams benches.

This really doesn't invalidate my point: that we'll have 3 starting caliber players playing against other teams benches.

Right, because the other team would NEVER put a starter on the floor with other bench players. The Bulls are the ONLY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE that ever does that!

Okay, I'm done.

EVERY PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE plays with the second unit at times. By your definition, every player in the league is a bench player. That is incredibly dumb.

No, what you just said is dumb. Comparing every player in the league to the role Thibs has Deng play is dumb.

Thibs has a very clearly defined role for Deng, and it is not comparable to "every player in the league" who now and then plays alongside with the bench. Deng does it more often, more consistently, for lengthier amounts of time.

Every player in the league is not playing 40 minutes per game like Deng does

Edited by RZZZA

Right, because the other team would NEVER put a starter on the floor with other bench players. The Bulls are the ONLY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE that ever does that!

Okay, I'm done.

Would other teams put 3 starting caliber players in with their bench like we would? no.

That is a luxury that few teams in the league can afford to do

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Would other teams put 3 starting caliber players in with their bench like we would? no.

That is a luxury that few teams in the league can afford to do

If the definition includes people who start games, then yes... it happens all of the time.

well that was fun.

I get where you're coming from RZ but no you can't include him as a bench player, it doesn't work that way.

As far as Kirk goes, 31 is not that old for a player like him. His game is not blowin by guys or anything. I think he'll be around 12/6 and under Thibs I wouldn't be surprised if he averaged more in both categories.

If the definition includes people who start games, then yes... it happens all of the time.

Most teams can't do it consistently like we'll be able to do when Rose gets back.

If every team could afford to play 3 starting caliber players with their bench in every game, then no team in the league would have to worry about having weak benches. Some teams do worry about having weak benches, so obviously every team in the league cannot afford to play 3 starting caliber players with their bench in every game.

If A then B

Not B

so not A

LOGIC b****ES, BOOM HOWYALIKEMENOWWW MODUS TOLLENS ALL UP IN DIS b****

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
No, what you just said is dumb. Comparing every player in the league to the role Thibs has Deng play is dumb.

Thibs has a very clearly defined role for Deng, and it is not comparable to "every player in the league" who now and then plays alongside with the bench. Deng does it more often, more consistently, for lengthier amounts of time.

Every player in the league is not playing 40 minutes per game like Deng does

I never said everyone plays 40 MPG and that has nothing to do with whether Deng is a bench player or not.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Most teams can't do it consistently like we'll be able to do when Rose gets back.

If every team could afford to play 3 starting caliber players with their bench in every game, then no team in the league would have to worry about having weak benches. Some teams do worry about having weak benches, so obviously every team in the league cannot afford to play 3 starting caliber players with their bench in every game.

If A then B

Not B

so not A

LOGIC b****ES, BOOM HOWYALIKEMENOWWW MODUS TOLLENS ALL UP IN DIS b****

This is not hockey. Teams don't make line changes. They send in one or two bench players at a time, and leave starters out there with them.