2012-2013 NBA thread

You should really only speak for yourself and not everyone else. You dont know what people need or want, at all, apparently. Nobody here is being disingenuous by saying that they dont feel they have to cheer for someone of their own race more than someone of a different race.

What about the doll test then, eh? I can speak in general about what people need because these are well researched and well established phenomena. You think I'm making this stuff up?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
Not sure about specifically Mexicans but I know latino's in general have a handful of rising stars in the world of politics. With the ncreasing latino demographics these latino politicians are likely only to grow in importance and prominence in the coming decades

I cant wait to have a son so I can exclusively show him latino politicians as role models because a guy like Derrick Rose, who comes from a disgusting part of Chicago and made something of his life by working hard at what he is good at, is black, therefore he would never be able to relate in any way or find any meaningful inspiration from his story.

I cant wait to have a son so I can exclusively show him latino politicians as role models because a guy like Derrick Rose, who comes from a disgusting part of Chicago and made something of his life by working hard at what he is good at, is black, therefore he would never be able to relate in any way or find any meaningful inspiration from his story.

Why does it have to be so black and white (no pun intended) with you guys?

I love Derrick Rose and Frank Thomas too, they're great rolemodels.

I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with identifying with hero's based on skin color, or ethnicity, or any other facet that speaks to you.

Yes I do like Paul Konerko slightly more because he's white. If only just slightly. I'm not saying I would hate him if he were black. I'm not saying I wouldn't be a fan of his. I'm saying my attitude towards him would be slightly different, thats all. Not better or worse, just different.

I tell ya what, if Derrick Rose was a little white jew like me I'd love him that much more. Represent in the NBA for the little white jews

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
What about the doll test then, eh? I can speak in general about what people need because these are well researched and well established phenomena. You think I'm making this stuff up?

By all means, please cite your well searched phenomena.

lol, did you even look at my links? that same test was done and redone multiple times.

Psychology 101, it's a class. Take it. Before you act like a smug asshole to me some more.

self-image is a big problem in America. Its not bull s***, it's real.

Edited by RZZZA

Alright, so I first off want to apologize for contributing to derailing this thread into a racism argument, and I also I want to say my larger point here is that heros are not defined by race, which is what many here were saying. Im not going to respond to the above comment because I think the point he is making isnt really going with what he started with.

Back to basketball, this can be split into the buster if anyone feels it is worth further discussion. PM me and i will move it.

You're f***ing crazy if you think a professional sports team is intentionally going after white players to sell tickets. It's incredibly racist to make the assumption that Minnesotans only would buy tickets to see a white team, and considering the vast majority of the white players on the team are INTERNATIONAL players, it's an even bigger preposterous statement.

Winning sells tickets. It's as simple as that. The two most beloved Minnesotan athletes in history are Kevin Garnett and Kirby Puckett (OH MY GOD BLACKIES!!!). The claim is ludicrous, and anyone that wastes their time believing it or even considering it needs to get a life.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
You're f***ing crazy if you think a professional sports team is intentionally going after white players to sell tickets. It's incredibly racist to make the assumption that Minnesotans only would buy tickets to see a white team, and considering the vast majority of the white players on the team are INTERNATIONAL players, it's an even bigger preposterous statement.

Winning sells tickets. It's as simple as that. The two most beloved Minnesotan athletes in history are Kevin Garnett and Kirby Puckett (OH MY GOD BLACKIES!!!). The claim is ludicrous, and anyone that wastes their time believing it or even considering it needs to get a life.

you just fed the troll a filet mignon

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
you just fed the troll a filet mignon

It's too much fun sometimes

Edit: Also, the local media tore this s***ty story apart when it was first released. It's awful.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)

I heard that most Vikings fans are demanding that they trade Adrian Peterson for Peyton Hillis.

I don't think this applies to sports where most of our admiration applies to the athletes' merit, but FWIW in the field of media studies it is a pretty well regarded theory that years of movies and TV with the absence of non-whites was an alienating phenomenon for minorities. The idea isn't so much that minorities need their own "heroes" or genres (BET), but when people that look and act like you aren't given the treatment of the normal person, it is harder to drink the kool-aid of pop culture. I forget the name of the film, but because the black maid in the movie was given a somewhat developed character, the film really took off as far as black viewership -- most people look back and see that as confirmation of that theory. But...I don't think this applies to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

I like Kirk Hinrich. Is it because he's white? Maybe. I love Derrick Rose. Is it in spite of his blackness? No...he's a great player and I actually think there's something really cool about him and part of it is the cultural blackness he has: the way he talks, etc.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 12:15 AM)
How bout that Joakim Noah guy, he looks pretty darn good this year.

I acquired him in fantasy and am just rolling with it. Did he have a D-Rose type offseason and completely improve himself? Did he just become the 2nd true star to put next to D-Rose for the next 4-5 seasons? He looks f***ing legit. His addition of an improved jump shot is giving him better passing lanes, so his dimes are up. He is playing an insane 39 mpg, so hopefully that doesn't bite us in the ass.

Normally, I'd say something about the Suns giving up mega stats to bigs, but Noah's been doing it against everyone - and beasted against Boston over the weekend.

And I love holstering the gun.

I think I'll write an article on it.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 07:27 AM)
I don't think this applies to sports where most of our admiration applies to the athletes' merit, but FWIW in the field of media studies it is a pretty well regarded theory that years of movies and TV with the absence of non-whites was an alienating phenomenon for minorities. The idea isn't so much that minorities need their own "heroes" or genres (BET), but when people that look and act like you aren't given the treatment of the normal person, it is harder to drink the kool-aid of pop culture. I forget the name of the film, but because the black maid in the movie was given a somewhat developed character, the film really took off as far as black viewership -- most people look back and see that as confirmation of that theory. But...I don't think this applies to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

I like Kirk Hinrich. Is it because he's white? Maybe. I love Derrick Rose. Is it in spite of his blackness? No...he's a great player and I actually think there's something really cool about him and part of it is the cultural blackness he has: the way he talks, etc.

I think that's quite a bit different. In the entertainment industry, you may follow a person and enjoy the acting of a person, and their views and place in the world may be reflected based upon their race. In sports, you cheer for the jersey on the back. I wouldn't care if a guy on the White Sox had teal colored skin, I'm going to root for him to succeed, and if said teal colored player signs with the Tigers in the offseason, I'm going to root for him to fail.

I also think, in sports, color of skin has less to do with players being idolized compared to their performance on the field due to the unscripted nature of it. Why is LeBron James more popular than Smush Parker? Why is LeBron James more popular than Jimmer Fredette? Because he's a superstar talent.

Now, where the judgment of talent is far more subjective, you can say "why is Denzel Washington more popular than Brad Pitt?" and you may get arguments the other way. I'm sure there are people who like Denzel Washington because he is black. Honest to god, one of the reasons I like Donald Faison is because he is black, but a lot of the characters he plays are the "white black guy." And, as a general rule, I tend to watch shows geared toward a white audience as opposed to watching shows geared toward an African-American audience.

But does that come into play during sports? I don't believe so.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
I acquired him in fantasy and am just rolling with it. Did he have a D-Rose type offseason and completely improve himself? Did he just become the 2nd true star to put next to D-Rose for the next 4-5 seasons? He looks f***ing legit. His addition of an improved jump shot is giving him better passing lanes, so his dimes are up. He is playing an insane 39 mpg, so hopefully that doesn't bite us in the ass.

Normally, I'd say something about the Suns giving up mega stats to bigs, but Noah's been doing it against everyone - and beasted against Boston over the weekend.

Kareem said he can be a monster if he worked out with him, it looks like that happened and Kareem was right.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
I stole him in fantasy for bynum's ashy knees and from an owner that is slow and i'm now pretending that i'm taking a risk so i can take advantage of more dopes in my league that i market as legit. Did he have a D-Rose type offseason and completely improve himself? Did he just become the 2nd true star to put next to D-Rose for the next 4-5 seasons? He looks f***ing legit. His addition of an improved jump shot is giving him better passing lanes, so his dimes are up. He is playing an insane 39 mpg, so hopefully that doesn't bite us in the ass.

fixed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
I see you re-posted this. If a GM who owns Noah wants to sell him and hope he gets a monster center in one month (Andrew Bynum) that's his choice. Not yours. That NBA keeper league's been awesome for 7 years, and your attempt to derail it was pathetic and you're already forgotten. You've been replaced, thankfully. My Lord was that a huge pain. When everyone thinks you're nuts, you probably are.

I will not post about this again on Soxtalk. Good riddance.

lol. watch out flip. awful garbage for chris paul is coming your way. and he'll convince you're doing the right thing. #lebronforhorford/nash/gallinari.

and don't let him charge you to participate in that piece of s***.